Old 12-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Obviously there are two schools of thought and opposing sets of facts to support both. You can't convince the other with words alone.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Hey, this is a great thread. I was told that you should never argue religion or politics with others because you would be dealing with people who have already made up their minds. Well, I have added tow vehicles and hitches to that list.

I tow with a Tundra that many say is not up to the job. I get about 17 when not towing and 11 to 12 when towing. I also have a Prius that gets 50 mpg on the road. I think I need to take the Prius up to Andy T and see what he can do for me? What do you think?

Old 12-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Land Yacht
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
I also have a Prius that gets 50 mpg on the road. I think I need to take the Prius up to Andy T and see what he can do for me? What do you think?
I think that you have got to be crazy to admit to owning a Prius in public.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad

It'll be a bad day for democracy when vehicle manufacturers set the laws.

Hello Mr Mojo
Don't think you slipped that bit of tongue in cheek humor past all of us.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
Brilliant!

Now you know why I NEVER go to bed!

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #62
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Thanks, Overlander, that's similar to the information I obtained though the AAA/CAA.

On a quick run through I've not been able to find any requirement to stop using the TV brakes alone, except where auxiliary brakes are not required, which isn't relevant here. Were you thinking of any specific state?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Oops, I meant to say that I'll have a closer look at the whole list tomorrow.
Wow, lots of activity since last night. To answer your question, a customer of mine when I lived in Florida was involved in an accident where the trailer brakes failed and the tow vehicle could not stop the combination. He was cited for whatever obscure statute mandated what I posted above. Basically he skidded through an intersection with the trailer pushing him.
I would have expected a law like that in a mountainous state, but not in table-top flat Florida.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It sounds like some stretching of obscure theories and stories to make a point. And justify a lot bigger tow vehicle than needed.

doug k
Old 12-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Newtonian Physics

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I don't understand how someone can consider a heavy, solid-axle, high center-of-gravity pickup truck more stable or easier to stop than many of the lighter, modern suspension designs we are talking about, whether attached to a trailer or not.

doug k
The answer is really quite simple, at least for me. Given towing a 5000lb plus trailer with a complete loss of brakes and the inertia generated. In a panic stop which would you rather be sitting in directly in front of this irresistable force?: 1. a 3000# vehicle with brakes only designed to stop the vehicle with a shorter wheelbase or 2. a 5000# vehicle designed for increased load capacity with a longer wheelbase. Hint: Newton's 1st Law of Motion.

Another example:
Same trailer. Same choice between a light tow vehicle and a full size pickup or SUV. You are going down a steep hill. At the bottom is a sharp curve. At the outside of the curve is a cliff. No trailer brakes. What would you choose?
Old 12-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Here's another hint, the 5000# vehicle has 2000# more to stop, and they both have but four tires on the ground. I'd rather be in front of the lighter vehicle because I would be less likely to get hit.

doug k
Old 12-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #66
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
The answer is really quite simple, at least for me. Given towing a 5000lb plus trailer with a complete loss of brakes and the inertia generated. In a panic stop which would you rather be sitting in directly in front of this irresistable force?: 1. a 3000# vehicle with brakes only designed to stop the vehicle or 2. a 5000# vehicle designed for increased load capacity. Hint: Newton's 1st Law of Motion.
That's a broad assumption considering many high performance SUV's now have larger and better disc brakes than pick-up trucks.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
2017 Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Quote:
In a panic stop which would you rather be sitting in directly in front of this irresistable force?: 1. a 3000# vehicle with brakes only designed to stop the vehicle or 2. a 5000# vehicle designed for increased load capacity. Hint: Newton's 1st Law of Motion.
I don't think it's quite that simple. For instance, stopping a jackknife situation has as much to do with what you do before, after, how you're loaded, how vigilant you are while driving, etc.

The answer to the question from my end is: whichever vehicle has the driver in it who knows how to drive, brake, and handle their rig through maintenance to actual driving.

P.S. Note the advantages of a heavier trailer to a lighter one.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #68
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
After I retired I worked for a couple of years for my friend that owns a heavy duty towing business. Here in NJ the State Police have a commercial vehicle inspectioin team. So far they only bother commercial vehicles. I've never seen them get involved in RV units. However, again with commercial units they will look at the manuf. weights and the tires and if they don't jive, impounded. They carry portable scales and go to town. A few years back they were quite busy. Don't work there now so not sure how busy they are these days. They are well trained and don't miss a trick. If they ever branched off into the RV combinations they would have a field day. Modifications do not make them very happy so beware.

Happy & SAFE towing.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
That's a broad assumption considering many high performance SUV's now have larger and better disc brakes than pick-up trucks.
Perhaps, but I like broads. I don't know of any studies, but, between 2 tow vehicles, one heavier one lighter towing an equal weight trailer with brakes not working, all other factors being equal I bet you a dollar the heavier vehicle will stop the trailer better.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #70

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Perhaps, but I like broads. I don't know of any studies, but, between 2 tow vehicles, one heavier one lighter towing an equal weight trailer with brakes not working, all other factors being equal I bet you a dollar the heavier vehicle will stop the trailer better.
Actually, the lighter vehicle will have less total weight to stop. (light TV + trailer) should win over (heavy TV + trailer). If it also has better brakes, it should be the clear winner.

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote