Old 03-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
@Bob: I'm pretty sure that it is a locking rear diff (automatically) and yes, its a 4wd.

@Herrick: Yes, the Eddie Bauer has 16" wheels so it's a little taller than normal but that actually works pretty well with where the hitch receiver is on the Suburban. Once I fill the fresh tank it's (by the specs, mind you) around 6000lbs. Then we add clothes, food, the small generator (if going boon docking), and a few toys for the kids. I don't know the weight of all of the dishes and the like, but I was pretty careful about picking out light items. I would be pretty surprised if we end up over 6500lbs but I'm planning on finding out soon.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #30
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
@Bob: I'm pretty sure that it is a locking rear diff (automatically) and yes, its a 4wd.

G80 is the option code for the locker.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Excellent, thanks Bob.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Update: Apparently the 3.08 rear-end is in an 8.5" housing and the 3.42 gears will not fit in that. GM doesn't sell a complete 3.42 housing (just the individual parts) but they do sell the 3.73 housing complete. So the guy has some of his contacts at the wrecking yards looking around for a complete 3.42 set-up.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #33
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
IMHO.... if your serious about changing, go for the 3.73, you would be hard pressed to notice the difference going to the 3.42. And remember the front differential needs the up-grade too.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 03-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #34
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I have the 3.73 rear in my pickup and the 4.10 rear in my 'burb. They have the same transmission but the 'burb has a bigger engine.

The only difference is that the 3.73 leads to more hunting between 3rd and 4th on hills with the trailer (I have the 4 speed transmission, not the newer six speed). I don't notice a difference in noise level or fuel economy.

Things may be a little different with the 6 speed transmission, but in general, if you're doing a significant amount of towing, you'll want a lower (numerically higher) ratio rear. 3.73 would be fine if that's what's available, I would think, 4.10 probably ok too, 4.31 might be too much of a good thing but maybe not.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
My understanding is that the 6-speed has made some of the traditional wisdom about which rear-end ratio to go with a little less applicable because the availability of more gears means that you're more likely to have the right one available.

That said, I may very well end up with the 3.73, especially if the mechanic can't find a suitable set of 3.42s!
Old 03-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by phbarnhart View Post
My understanding is that the 6-speed has made some of the traditional wisdom about which rear-end ratio to go with a little less applicable because the availability of more gears means that you're more likely to have the right one available.

That said, I may very well end up with the 3.73, especially if the mechanic can't find a suitable set of 3.42s!
Well, IMO, it made the issue of 3.73 vs. 3.42 less of an issue in your weight class.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #37
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by phbarnhart View Post
....a suitable set of 3.42s!
One more time....two suitable set's.

IMHO..a lot to spend for .34 of one revolution.
Any math geeks out there?

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 03-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #38
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
One more time....two suitable set's.

IMHO..a lot to spend for .34 of one revolution.
Any math geeks out there?

Bob
Think of it as 9% more torque in every gear. But yeah, with the 6 speed, it means that on any given hill, you may be in 4th instead of 3rd at the same speed & RPM...

I'm with the not sure you have a problem and this isn't a minor expense group.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
@ Bob: Yeah, I know I need to change the front and back, I thought that my use of "set" followed by a plural "3.42s" showed that. I guess that since each end actually needs a set of gears it wasn't clear. Anywho, I'm hoping that they can find a front/back gearing set from a single vehicle.

@ newroswell: I noticed on my trip to Montana and back last fall that I didn't quite have enough power to cruise on the freeway in 5th but that 4th was more than was necessary. I'm thinking that 9% would be just about right. What I do know is that I had to drop to 2nd on a few of the mountain passes because 3rd was, again, just by a little bit, unable keep up momentum.

My real concern was about the durability of the 3.08 gears/housing as compared to the 3.42 or 3.73. It seems that the housing is smaller on the 3.08 but I don't know if that matters all that much. Anyway, I'm exploring my options right now.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I still say try it the way it is and see if it is comfortable for YOU, performance wise. There's plenty of time later to swap out gears (yes, 2 sets!)

If you were trying to pull a 30'er or a 34'er, I'd be much more concerned about durability, etc. Not so much with a 25'er.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #41
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I still say try it the way it is and see if it is comfortable for YOU, performance wise. There's plenty of time later to swap out gears (yes, 2 sets!)

If you were trying to pull a 30'er or a 34'er, I'd be much more concerned about durability, etc. Not so much with a 25'er.
X2

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 03-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
@ dznf0g and Bob: That's kind of why I'm doing this now. I did a 2000 mile trip from Eugene, OR to Helena, MT (plus a some around Montana) trip in October before I put her to bed for the winter. What I learned from the trip is that there's a very good reason that the tow package comes with the 3.42 gearing; it's only a little bit lower, but a little bit seems like all that would be needed to keep the transmission from shifting all the time, even while cruising.

I do appreciate the advice though, basically, if I may paraphrase, you're saying that I'm not really hurting anything by towing with the 3.08 but I may be more comfortable with the 3.42 or 3.73 so it's basically a judgement call about the cost v. my personal towing comfort.