Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2014, 09:11 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Overland Park , Kansas
Andrew, I wouldn't worry about the price of Al. The average life cycle of a soda can is only 60 days and very little needs to be produced from bauxite anymore if you trust the History Channel

BTW, I do have a thing for aluminum but are we going to have to wait for Airstream's 100th Anniversary to give carbon fiber a try? It seems like Ford took a big step backwards here using Al.
Grrrwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:45 PM   #62

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrrwolf View Post
Andrew, I wouldn't worry about the price of Al. The average life cycle of a soda can is only 60 days and very little needs to be produced from bauxite anymore if you trust the History Channel

BTW, I do have a thing for aluminum but are we going to have to wait for Airstream's 100th Anniversary to give carbon fiber a try? It seems like Ford took a big step backwards here using Al.
Carbon fiber is still a bit exotic for the level of production Ford needs to support F150 sales numbers. Manufacturers are producing carbon fiber parts much faster and cheaper than just a few years ago, but I don't think they're anywhere near the volume for price that would be needed. Also, while carbon fiber has great strength for its weight, it's a bit brittle. Maybe when RAM does their next redesign they can get Ferrari and Maserati to help them out with some carbon fiber component design, and they can have the first carbon fiber pickup.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:10 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samyjam View Post
I saw this thread and had to laugh!

We drive a 99 jeep grand Cherokee and a 2003 minivan, no TV yet. We just got our '72 sovereign in late September with plans to have it parked for a couple of years until we are ready to buy a proper TV (cash)
Today, DH walks in the door after work and asks 'will we have cash to buy a truck in 2015?'
You guessed it! He wants this F150!

We better start saving! :-)

I'm afraid of showing him this thread!
:-)
It's much worse than that. On the way home the other day, my wife said, "Have you heard about this aluminum F-150?" I had, from this thread (thank you, everyone), but didn't really pay much attention, since the plan was that we wouldn't be buying any new vehicles until the Accord is paid off in a couple years. She then said, "You know, next year we'll have had the truck for 3 years..." Not that we don't love our truck, but we have that pesky coolant issue, and we either need to get it fixed or replace the truck.

Gulp.

For me it'll all come down to the tow capacities - I estimate our trailer is somewhere in the 10,000 lb range loaded. Playing around on Ford's site yesterday, the only way I could build a truck with an 8' bed was to use their base model that doesn't have a lot of the nicer features we'd want. But if we can work through that issue, and we can get one that has the capacity to tow our trailer, it's possible we could buy one...

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:31 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Actually the Maserati Mistral in the mid to late 60s had a beautiful aluminum body. They had dual spark plugs on the straight six so it would not misfire at the redline of 6,000 rpm and throw a rod or worse.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:24 AM   #65
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Waco , Texas
This is nothing new. Land Rovers have been made with all aluminum bodies since at least 1948.

After spending 10 years working in Alaska on aluminum skiffs that we would absolutely bash the tarnation out of on rocky Alaska shorelines I've come to respect the toughness of Aluminum as a construction material.

Military Boats | Patrol Boats | Fire-Rescue Boats | Law Enforcement Boats | SAFE Boats
Workskiff | Aluminum Boats for Severe Service
Texasdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #66

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
~~
For me it'll all come down to the tow capacities - I estimate our trailer is somewhere in the 10,000 lb range loaded. Playing around on Ford's site yesterday, the only way I could build a truck with an 8' bed was to use their base model that doesn't have a lot of the nicer features we'd want. But if we can work through that issue, and we can get one that has the capacity to tow our trailer, it's possible we could buy one...
This is for the current truck, of course... no guarantees of what configurations Ford will offer for the '15. However, you can build a Supercab with an 8' bed in the XLT trim. Not as nice as a Lariat but not as spartan as the XL at least. If you configure that with the Ecoboost and 3.73 limited-slip diff, you have Max Tow and HD Payload for a very capable "half-ton" but it's LONG. 163" wheelbase, where the F250 Supercab LWB 8' bed model is "only" a 158" wheelbase.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 01-15-2014, 06:13 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Carbon fiber is still a bit exotic for the level of production Ford needs to support F150 sales numbers. Manufacturers are producing carbon fiber parts much faster and cheaper than just a few years ago, but I don't think they're anywhere near the volume for price that would be needed. Also, while carbon fiber has great strength for its weight, it's a bit brittle. Maybe when RAM does their next redesign they can get Ferrari and Maserati to help them out with some carbon fiber component design, and they can have the first carbon fiber pickup.
DKB_SATX, I wasn't knocking ford or even thinking about them actually. I was hoping AS would eventually move on to the next best thing.

My point was that a company like AS which is in my opinion a top-of-the-line TT should love to find a super strong/light material that has proven itself. There's even the possibility of fully embedding solar cells into the structure of carbon fiber. Can anyone think of a better/safer platform to figure out the technology on than a simple camper?
Grrrwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:58 PM   #68
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Speaking of wives. I mentioned the new F150 to my wife. We've had the AS for almost 3 years but it's only used as a place where I can go to compose and write (and do man stuff away from the apartment on a slice of land a couple hours away) She visits some times in good weather. It's on blocks 'cuz she does'ent like the "squeeking" and to save the tires.
As I've only got my beloved Ford Ranger (4cyl/manual every thing) there's no way I could pull the Safari.
She offered to buy me the new F150 if I quit smoking!!! WTH?!
Now THAT is incentive.
Regarding the strength of Aluminum....As Texasdriver mentioned, you can beat the heck out of good/well supported aluminum and its good. I know this because I've run big boats that are steel hull with Aluminum Superstructure and have had green water (massive waves) come crashing over the boat in the middle of the ocean.
The AS is parked in a barn only a mile from the Alcoa plant and I see the ships come in and unload "product" (Bauxite? etc.) and except for a slight haze dust from off loading it's a very clean operation.
Damb, I'm going to miss those smokes!
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #69
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Here is an interesting short article about the history of aluminum bodied cars.

Tips

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:17 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
I had to look at the title to this thread twice because this truck resembles a Toyota Tundra. Does anyone else see the resemblance?
Old 01-15-2014, 08:14 PM   #71
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
I had to look at the title to this thread twice because this truck resembles a Toyota Tundra. Does anyone else see the resemblance?
I can see a resemblance, But the Ford logo on the front gave it away.

Ken
Old 01-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
One more article

Now, with the Detroit Auto show in full swing, more tidbits about the Aluminum F-150 are coming to light. Pay attention when the Ford Exec states that the aluminum they're using 'isn't beer can thin, but HUMVEE thick'

2015 Ford F-150 makes radical jump to aluminum body
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 F-150.JPG
Views:	668
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	203698  
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:27 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Where are the rivets? :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:02 PM   #74
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Where are the rivets? :-)
Right Here!!

Rivets American Grill - Modesto, CA | Yelp

Ken
Old 01-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #75

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
I think it bears a much stronger resemblance to the Ford Superduty trucks, and the Superduty's visual design predates the current Tundra. Perhaps the Tundra was trying to ape the Superduty? I prefer the previous Tundra appearance (the initial design of the 2nd-gen Tundra rather than the 2014+ truck with which I think they got a little carried away.

I think the 2015 F150 is visually a little overdone as well, but looks aren't everything I consider in a vehicle.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #76

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
DKB_SATX, I wasn't knocking ford or even thinking about them actually. I was hoping AS would eventually move on to the next best thing.

My point was that a company like AS which is in my opinion a top-of-the-line TT should love to find a super strong/light material that has proven itself. There's even the possibility of fully embedding solar cells into the structure of carbon fiber. Can anyone think of a better/safer platform to figure out the technology on than a simple camper?
Surely you can understand why I thought you were talking about the F150, considering the thread and the last sentence of your post:

Quote:
It seems like Ford took a big step backwards here using Al.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:22 AM   #77
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
We like it

We are (were) in the process of ordering a new truck and had settled on F250 Power Stroke. Are current truck, F150 FX4 SCREW with Eco Boost, was close to being at it axle rating and we wanted a little cushion. We really love the F150, have owned a diesel truck previously, and to be honest was just not that excited about buying another one. Our Ford dealer talked about the heavy duty payload package available on the F150 and how that would possibly be a better fit. After looking at the 2015, and how happy we have been with our current truck, have decided to wait to purchase a 2015 F150 built to our needs. I honestly think that the new F150 is going to be a big success. I know we were really hating getting rid of our 2011, it is a great truck.
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:06 PM   #78
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Any word on when the 2015's might be available?
Old 01-16-2014, 11:12 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:

Hi, just the rounded corners at the top of the grill, other than that, no.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:35 AM   #80
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
Any word on when the 2015's might be available?
Received an email from Ford yesterday stating that release will be mid-year, probably July or August.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote