Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2014, 11:41 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
I know we were really hating getting rid of our 2011, it is a great truck.
Same can of worms here, I would like more payload in the truck. I can wait.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:38 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
We are (were) in the process of ordering a new truck and had settled on F250 Power Stroke. Are current truck, F150 FX4 SCREW with Eco Boost, was close to being at it axle rating and we wanted a little cushion. We really love the F150, have owned a diesel truck previously, and to be honest was just not that excited about buying another one. Our Ford dealer talked about the heavy duty payload package available on the F150 and how that would possibly be a better fit. After looking at the 2015, and how happy we have been with our current truck, have decided to wait to purchase a 2015 F150 built to our needs. I honestly think that the new F150 is going to be a big success. I know we were really hating getting rid of our 2011, it is a great truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
Same can of worms here, I would like more payload in the truck. I can wait.
Hi, are these F-150's Max Tow and Max Payload? That's what I think I will want to buy when the time is right.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:43 AM   #83
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
HD Payload Pkg

You can order the Heavy Duty Payload package in the F150 and that automatically includes the Max Tow Package. You get a larger rear axle, different springs, 17" E rated tires with stronger rims and gain 1000 lbs more carrying capacity. The HD Payload pkg. comes with a 3.73 rear axle ratio with limited slip differential, which I much prefer the locker rear axle. The downside is you currently cannot order it in the upper end models, the Lariat is as high as you can go. Hopefully the 2015's will let you get some more options. Although 700 lbs of weight loss would equate to 700 lbs more capacity.
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:16 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
When I configured a 2013 King Ranch model, the frills for that package added up to over 450 pounds, so the payload was reduced by that amount. The reality is that if one wants a luxury "car" ½ ton pickup, then the payload could be reduced to that of a car or less.

Do some serious number crunching with pencil and paper before ordering in ink!

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
AUTOWEEK on line just posted a quote from a spokesman for insurance companies that the cost of repairs will be up on the aluminum F-150 along with premiums. A very small percentage of shops are currently certified to do the work on the aluminum Fords.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:11 PM   #86
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
That is not good news. I wonder how much of a deterrent that will be for buyers. Insurance for these high dollar trucks is already a little pricey.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:17 AM   #87
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Overland Park , Kansas
Ford's perception could take a major hit if too many are seen patched together with rivets in a few years. I would think they would have a strong incentive to subsidize body work. On the other hand, our auto industry can't seem to think past their next fancy grill design so I may be wrong.
Grrrwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:44 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Yes the hidden costs of an aluminum vehicle will keep appearing. I would expect a significant surcharge for the insurance and at an accident, the vehicle goes to the nearest storage yard or body shop, that may not be qualified. Then what, it gets towed some unknown miles to a certified aluminum repair facility and who pays for that?

I would not want to be an early adopter as Ford's leading edge technology has fumbled more then a few times. The light bulb should have showed on the R & D a little longer.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 01-22-2014, 07:39 AM   #89
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Perhaps Ford should make available Aluminum and a steel version. Probably too expensive too offer both.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:03 AM   #90
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I thought body repair these days was pretty much all remove and replace, at least where possible (which should be about everywhere in a vehicle with a frame - unibody vehicles are a bigger issue). The surface prep for painting might be different, but otherwise, I'm not clear what would be different for aluminum.

And, if they become popular, more shops will become aluminum proficient. Have you ever noticed how many F-150s are on the road? They're one of the best selling vehicles in the US. Few shops are willingly going to lose that business.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:16 AM   #91
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Recent quote from Ford...When asked for comment on the matter, a Ford representative told us, "We have designed the new F-150 to be easily repairable in the event of an accident. Ford dealers and independent repair facilities will be qualified to handle repairs. In terms of costs, we expect repair and insurance costs to be competitive with other trucks in the segment."

Read more: Report: 2015 Ford F-150 in for Higher Insurance Rates, Body Shop Costs - Motor Trend WOT
Old 01-23-2014, 06:52 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Because the technology is relatively new, the body shops can raise their prices saying special equipment and training has significantly raised their costs. That shows up as higher premiums on any vehicle that is more difficult to get repaired.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:09 AM   #93
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Those who think this technology is new and are concerned about insurance costs may be interested in this list.

List of Car Manufacturers who use Aluminum Body Panels

You might also want to look at this history of aluminum in automobiles that I preciouisly posted.

history-of-auto-aluminum

Since both of these are by people involved in maintaining aluminum auto bodies, I see now reason to get excited about insurances rates.

My impression is that a significant amount of auto body repair work these days involves replacing panels. It should be about the same for steel or aluminum, with a little extra care not to over heat.

I believe a lot of this excitement is Ford (wisely) hyping this up with the press as something revolutionary in order to get a lot of free advertising.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:27 AM   #94

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I'm guessing the insurance thieves will jack the rates up for the first couple of years because they can, and competition will gradually whittle the rates back down to what they should be.

Considering my insurance rates and the fuel cost on my '07, I'd gladly pay 10% more for my insurance and 5% less for fuel, I'll come out way ahead. I think I'll do better than 5% for my average, too, because except for the occasional highway trip without the trailer, my truck doesn't get that much better dead-heading than towing.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:45 AM   #95
Rivet Master

I hate spelling checkers that auto correct. Here are the correct words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Those who think this technology is new and are concerned about insurance costs may be interested in this list.

List of Car Manufacturers who use Aluminum Body Panels

You might also want to look at this history of aluminum in automobiles that I previously posted.

history-of-auto-aluminum

Since both of these are by people involved in maintaining aluminum auto bodies, I see no reason to get excited about insurances rates.

My impression is that a significant amount of auto body repair work these days involves replacing panels. It should be about the same for steel or aluminum, with a little extra care not to over heat.

I believe a lot of this excitement is Ford (wisely) hyping this up with the press as something revolutionary in order to get a lot of free advertising.

Ken
Old 01-23-2014, 10:18 AM   #96
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Even if my insurance premium went up 20% per year, it would still only be a dollar amount that is about equal to a tank or two of gas. For me anyway, that would not be a deal breaker on a vehicle.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:47 AM   #97
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
Even if my insurance premium went up 20% per year, it would still only be a dollar amount that is about equal to a tank or two of gas. For me anyway, that would not be a deal breaker on a vehicle.
Good point

Ken
Old 01-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #98
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
The BMW E60 (5 series) came out in 2003, with a new platform that included a significant amount of aluminum over the previous generation of the same vehicle. BMW had new repair procedures and tolerances, and I recall a lot of discussion about increased repair costs and insurance rates. It all died down. That was over ten years ago. On my 2007 535 it wasn't an issue at all, but I appreciated the lighter weight of the vehicle.

I realize a BMW isn't a pick up truck, but I think the transition to new materials is exactly the same.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:41 PM   #99
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
The deal breaker for me would be if ford still has a 60k powertrain warranty while GM and Dodge still has their 100k warranty!
Old 01-23-2014, 01:48 PM   #100
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
The deal breaker for me would be if ford still has a 60k powertrain warranty while GM and Dodge still has their 100k warranty!
For someone like me, these warranties are kind of a non starter. I keep my vehicles usually 12 to 14 years, and to be honest, over all my 45 years of driving, I have had only a small number of repairs paid for under warranty. Honest truth is, if they would knock another grand off the purchase price, I would tell them to keep their warranty. While it's true that current generation vehicles are more costly than ever to repair, it's also probably true that overall reliability and durability are at an all time high.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote