Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Ford has specifically stated that they've increased the use of "high strength steel" in the all-steel frame. All the aluminum is going into the body, not the frame, and towing capacities are said to increase.
And further, the way I read it, the basic structure of the cab is still steel. Aluminium will be used for door skins, hood, fenders and bed.

I will be curious to see how well these panels hold up to hail storms. The hood on my Frontier got damaged in a hail storm a couple years ago, and it's steel. It's apparently thinner steel though, compared to the fenders and roof, because those other panels came thru the storm ok.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Ford has specifically stated that they've increased the use of "high strength steel" in the all-steel frame. All the aluminum is going into the body, not the frame, and towing capacities are said to increase.
Sounds like the "frame remains the same" (queue Zeppelin reference) with stiffness not being sacrificed in this new design, this truck being able to tow trailers at least as well as the current models.

Kinda sounds like a winner to me but again, all speculative for now but exciting for sure!!!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:01 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, don't under-estimate the strength of an aluminum body.

True story: I was once a Mac Tools distributor. [eight years] My truck was a GM P-30 with an all aluminum Grumman Olson body. One day while I was eating lunch, some lady ran into my parked truck. There was some rear bumper damage [also aluminum] and the left rear quarter panel area had a huge bend in it. The damaged area was a triangle of about 18"s of flat aluminum panel. It was sort of curled out ward. I took it to a few body shops to see if they could repair the bent aluminum panel. I was asked by the body repair man if it was hardened aluminum or not. I had no idea, as I have never heard of hardened aluminum before. The body repair man walked out to my truck with a long handle, ten pound sledge hammer. He swung the sledge hammer at the bent aluminum panel in a direction that would bend it back towards where it originated. The aluminum didn't budge and the hammer came back and almost hit him. The bent piece of panel was cut off, heated, pressed back into a flat panel on a huge hydraulic shop press, welded where it cracked during the straightening process and finally welded back onto my truck. The car that hit my truck had the whole right side ripped off.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:42 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Kingston , Nova Scotia
Aluminum

Funny thing is people do under estimate the strength of aluminum, also people don't know how long Ford has worked on this plus do you not think GM and Chrysler are not going the same way.
Steel companies are always trying to come up with lighter steels to compete with Aluminum.
Check out a frame from 10 years ago to a frame made today and see which is stronger and lighter.
The technologies in heat treated steels and hydro formed frame rails has come a long way in the last 15 years.
And if a panel get's damaged then do like I did on my air stream get it fixed and move on.
And yes I do see the fiber carbons being the next ones on the market.
Not to mention Aluminum will have different treatments done to prevent corrosion.

This new truck is a sweet looking truck and just in time for me to replace mine.
Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:19 PM   #45

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
On the intro to his show tonight, Stephen Colbert mentioned that "the new Ford F150 is 93% aluminum." He didn't point out that the percentage just relates to body panels, but I thought it was a funny non sequitur for his show.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:08 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Apparently they're looking for people to test them. I'd like to submit an application.

"I would like to take the F-150, hook up our 30' Airstream, and tow it to Cumberland, Maryland for a weekend. When we did this last year, our 2006 F-250 6.0L diesel blew out much of its coolant on Sideling Hill. Let's see how the F-150 handles it."

Too bitter?

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:11 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Un-American

Seems un-American to not offer a V-8 in a full-size pickup truck....
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:14 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Seems un-American to not offer a V-8 in a full-size pickup truck....
Larry
They do. The 5 liter is still available, just not the 6.2.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:14 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
" No specific tow rating or payload figures have been released, but Ford has revealed a few things.

All maximum tow ratings and payloads will rise from last year because of the reduction in vehicle weight. The 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 was rated at 11,300 pounds last year.
The new 2.7-liter EcoBoost will be good for about 8,000 pounds of towing capacity, a useful figure that plugs a hole between the entry-level V6 and the 5.0-liter V8. Last year these were able to tow roughly 6,000 and 10,000 pounds, respectively.
All 2015 F-150 tow ratings will be certified to the new SAE J2807 standardized tow rating procedure. The Big Three have previously been reluctant to adopt this standard because it would result in a loss of about 300 pounds of capacity and no one wanted to blink first. This time Ford is confident it has made enough gains to overcome this and still maintain or extend its advantage over the competition."

The increased payload will make the truck a viable alternative to the F-250.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Airstream Forums mobile app
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:18 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
" No specific tow rating or payload figures have been released, but Ford has revealed a few things.

All maximum tow ratings and payloads will rise from last year because of the reduction in vehicle weight. The 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 was rated at 11,300 pounds last year.
The new 2.7-liter EcoBoost will be good for about 8,000 pounds of towing capacity, a useful figure that plugs a hole between the entry-level V6 and the 5.0-liter V8. Last year these were able to tow roughly 6,000 and 10,000 pounds, respectively.
All 2015 F-150 tow ratings will be certified to the new SAE J2807 standardized tow rating procedure. The Big Three have previously been reluctant to adopt this standard because it would result in a loss of about 300 pounds of capacity and no one wanted to blink first. This time Ford is confident it has made enough gains to overcome this and still maintain or extend its advantage over the competition."

The increased payload will make the truck a viable alternative to the F-250.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Airstream Forums mobile app
From what credible source did you hear that Ford will move to J2807 with their introduction of the new F150? Our intel says otherwise...but there could be some "hoodwinking" going on.......

Help me out here, please reference your source, please.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:56 AM   #51

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
From what credible source did you hear that Ford will move to J2807 with their introduction of the new F150? Our intel says otherwise...but there could be some "hoodwinking" going on.......

Help me out here, please reference your source, please.
He's quoting the Edmund's article to which I linked in a post yesterday.

I missed the J2807 reference when I first read the Edmund's article Sunday night, I think that's great. I expected Toyota's adoption to drive the change faster, but GM and RAM released new trucks without mentioning the test... If Ford can exceed their competition's marketing numbers with J2807 numbers, it may finally push the others to play ball.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Thanks, The author doesn't cite a source per say. Interesting though, since there was some gentlemen's agreements sort of in place to accept all at the same time....but, like I said, hoodwinking does occur. I'll pass on and I guess we'll see how it pans out.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
My 1967 MBG-GT had an aluminum hood... got replaced with steel after it the latch failed and it wrapped back over the top of the car.

Aaron
My 58 MGA has aluminum Hood/Bonnet, doors, trunk. My TR3 and TR6 all steel. I don't know about the older models. I will be ready for a new truck in a couple of years, go Ford.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:53 PM   #54
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
More info...
Ford Just Unveiled It’s New F-150 Truck and It’s Being Called ‘Radical’ | Video | TheBlaze.com

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:59 PM   #55
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Ford is having problems with the Aluminum and are hoping to have matters worked out in time for the 2015 model year. They are working with Alcoa. Should be a great weight saver which will contribute to increased fuel milage. Aluminum is also easier to shape into the panels that they will be using. Should be no structural difference but I am hoping that they stick to steel for the frame.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
You guys got me all excited... I'll be at the auto show in Detroit for the next two days. I'm going to have to hang out by this truck for a while and check it out.

-sent from the Airforums mobile app
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

I saw this thread and had to laugh!

We drive a 99 jeep grand Cherokee and a 2003 minivan, no TV yet. We just got our '72 sovereign in late September with plans to have it parked for a couple of years until we are ready to buy a proper TV (cash)
Today, DH walks in the door after work and asks 'will we have cash to buy a truck in 2015?'
You guessed it! He wants this F150!

We better start saving! :-)

I'm afraid of showing him this thread!
:-)
samyjam14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Aluminum is expensive to make, work with, and repair, so the real world operational costs and associated prices may change the tune in the crowd of potential buyers.

Those with the newer 8,000+ pound 30' and 31' Airstream trailers may find these enhanced hypothetical payloads are still inadequate.

Someday, I hope sooner than later, our Classic model 30 will cross the scales as it's last official Airstream factory activity and I will be interested to see how the real number (without propane in the tanks) compares to the 7,365 pounds in the literature.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:07 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
It's a nice looking truck. Just saw this broadcast on the NBC Nightly News...
Aluminum Ford F-150: Is it Ford Tough? - Video on NBCNews.com
Old 01-14-2014, 07:25 PM   #60
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
I just posted here a little information about my experience with an aluminum tow vehicle. I think it is a great move for the pick up. Worried a little about what it will do to the price of Aluminum.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ml#post1403696

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote