Old 01-13-2014, 07:57 AM   #29
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
2015 Ford F-150: Body and Cabs First Look - PickupTrucks.com News

This is the most informative article I've yet seen on the aluminum F-150. I have been a GM guy from day one but this would at least cause me to take a look at the F-150 for improved corrosion resistance if nothing else. The one issue that gave me pause was that, according to the article, it's an all aluminum body except for corners of the cab, which are steel. I would have to be convinced that that doesn't represent a compromise on corrosion resistance.

John S.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:32 AM   #30

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, my Lincoln with a 5.4L V-8 engine, dual over head cams, and 32 valves is quite the engine; Well it was in 2000. It has 300 horse power and 355 lbs torque. It has done a great job of towing my 25' Safari. Now back to the 2015 Ford F-150; It has been stated that another new engine is on the way. A 2.7 L Eco-boost V-6; Half the size of my Lincoln's engine, but puts out 20 more horse power and 20 lbs more torque. [320 Horse power and 375 lbs torque] Will this match my 8,900 lbs tow rating and will this tiny engine do the job? My eyes are on the 2015 Ford F-150 with the 3.5 L Eco-boost which may top [rumored] 400 horse power.
It looks like the 2.7-liter Ecoboost will come pretty close. Edmunds reports that the tow rating on the 2.7 is expected to be "about 8000 lb" and slot between the normally-aspirated V6 and the 5.0l V8, with the 3.5-liter Ecoboost being the top engine.

Further they report that all of the payload and towing figures should go up for a comparable configuration because of the weight savings with the aluminum body, which bodes well for those of us who like a "half ton" truck.

From one photo I saw (and I've seen no specific written info on this) it appears that the Supercab rear door will open nearly 180 degrees to address the annoyance of being "stuck" between the front and rear doors if both are open in a tight parking space. That of course would assume you had enough room to swing the rear door through that full arc, of course.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:10 AM   #31
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Photos have been released from the show, looks great but I'd skip the four door, They will make a two door, right?
Old 01-13-2014, 10:13 AM   #32
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Here it is in RED

I'm get'n one!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-Ford-F-150-front-side-view-in-motion.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	203503  
Old 01-13-2014, 10:19 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Waco , Texas
From the Edmunds web site, looks like towing and payload capacities will be going up. Also a few more goodies for towing:

2014 Detroit Auto Show: 2015 Ford F-150 on Edmunds

No specific tow rating or payload figures have been released, but Ford has revealed a few things.
  • All maximum tow ratings and payloads will rise from last year because of the reduction in vehicle weight. The 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 was rated at 11,300 pounds last year.
  • The new 2.7-liter EcoBoost will be good for about 8,000 pounds of towing capacity, a useful figure that plugs a hole between the entry-level V6 and the 5.0-liter V8. Last year these were able to tow roughly 6,000 and 10,000 pounds, respectively.
  • All 2015 F-150 tow ratings will be certified to the new SAE J2807 standardized tow rating procedure. The Big Three have previously been reluctant to adopt this standard because it would result in a loss of about 300 pounds of capacity and no one wanted to blink first. This time Ford is confident it has made enough gains to overcome this and still maintain or extend its advantage over the competition.
  • The instrument panel towing information screen can now display trailer battery charge status or alert the driver if a connected trailer has any burnt bulbs.
  • Following Ram's lead, the F-150's locking tailgate has now been added into the central locking system, but Ford has taken it a step further by adding remote tailgate opening, a first in the pickup world.
  • Rear-mounted LED bed lights and a modular tie-down cleat system improve cargo handling.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #34

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Gurney View Post
Photos have been released from the show, looks great but I'd skip the four door, They will make a two door, right?
They've confirmed that they're going to continue with their 3-cab offering (regular, Supercab, Supercrew). I didn't see a direct reference to all 3 bed lenghts, but I get the feeling from a reference to the "5.5' short bed" the bed lengths will remain the same too. (8', 6.5', 5.5')

If the 700-lb weight reduction yields a 400-lb payload increase, I'll be happy with a properly-configured Supercrew 5.5' bed, I think, and not have to go HD Payload with the LOOONG wheelbase. By 2016 (when I'm planning to buy my next truck) I'll probably be ready to let the Legacy Wagon go and have the truck as my only vehicle (my partner has a car as well, so we won't have just the truck as a family, but it'll be MY daily driver.) I'd like to be able to u-turn and park at least as well as my current truck, another foot of wheelbase isn't appealing.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 01-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Great news, if nothing else were to change (theoretically speaking) then the additional 700lbs increase in max payload would have allowed me to use this truck along with the EcoBoost V6 (3.8) to tow my 27FB (as long as I didn't go crazy in stuffing the Truck's box full of rocks).

The only downside from Ford is I see this truck potentially cutting into their F-250 line of sales, maybe or maybe not.

As I like to keep saying - its a great time to be purchasing trucks - both the little guys and the big guys!
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
It won't be so very long before we have carbon fiber frame and body parts. Reducing weight is key to improved fuel economy. Aircraft and top end sports cars have a high carbon fiber content. A carbon fiber F-150 would be stronger and lighter.

Three cheers for Ford to reduce weight on their top seller. It might pull our aluminum Airstreams with further improvement in mpg.

David
Old 01-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
here's a question, why are Airstream owners (the longest production aluminum travel trailer in history) so concerned about durability of an aluminum pick-up truck???
It's not the durability, it's the cost of repair. According to press releases, some of the F150 panels are bonded rather that riveted like an AS. Having paid for six AS rear roof panels plus the labor to install them after putting a minor crease in the rear, I can attest first hand as to how much it costs.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
For trucks, we do need to remember how aluminum responds to stresses as compared to good ole' steel.

In particular, when we tow our Airstreams – stiffness of the tow vehicles frame is pretty important.

Strength refers to the maximum load that a material can be subjected to without yielding.
Stiffness refers to how much a material bends when a load is applied.

Stiffness is quantified by a parameter called Modulus of Elasticity. Without getting overly technical, we can look at the relative stiffness of steel versus aluminum by comparing this parameter:

Aluminum’s modulus is about 10 million psi.
Steel’s modulus is about 3 times that: 30 million psi.

That means, for a common structural shape, (think truck frame), and for the same limit of bending with the same load, the wall thickness of an aluminum tube would need to be more than 3 times the wall thickness of a steel tube.

Steel is about 3 times heavier than aluminum. (Steel is about .3 pounds per cubic inch, aluminum is about .1 pounds per cubic inch.) So the aluminum frame with the thicker wall ends up weighing the same as the thinner-walled steel tube, for the same length.

In theory, my hypothesis is that the new Ford Aluminum truck maintains steel within its frame for those that tow so to provide enough stiffness or that the new F-150 will delegate towing to their Super Duty trucks and be happy to sell to the majority of F-150 people who do not tow recreational trailers (just small utility type trailers) and only require the max payload for stuff thrown “in the box” (four adults, camping gear in the bed and motorcycles on a lightweight trailer) of the truck, said users who don’t really tow heavy objects (big trailers, etc.) where towing such a trailer requires a “stiff” framed truck.

So, an aluminum framed truck is not bad, its just there are no weight savings vs. steel when it comes to frame stiffness or rigidity. Not all people require this of their vehicle, I think those that tow large trailers do.

All speculation now (which makes it fun), will be interesting the finds, but only time will tell.
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 01-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Bitchin' truck.

Poppy
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #40

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Ford has specifically stated that they've increased the use of "high strength steel" in the all-steel frame. All the aluminum is going into the body, not the frame, and towing capacities are said to increase.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Ford has specifically stated that they've increased the use of "high strength steel" in the all-steel frame. All the aluminum is going into the body, not the frame, and towing capacities are said to increase.
And further, the way I read it, the basic structure of the cab is still steel. Aluminium will be used for door skins, hood, fenders and bed.

I will be curious to see how well these panels hold up to hail storms. The hood on my Frontier got damaged in a hail storm a couple years ago, and it's steel. It's apparently thinner steel though, compared to the fenders and roof, because those other panels came thru the storm ok.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:25 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Sounds like the "frame remains the same" (queue Zeppelin reference) with stiffness not being sacrificed in this new design, this truck being able to tow trailers at least as well as the current models.

Kinda sounds like a winner to me but again, all speculative for now but exciting for sure!!!

**I Love U.S.A.**