Old 11-12-2014, 09:36 AM   #1

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Aluminum F-150

I just read an article on the new aluminum-bodied Ford F-150. It sounds like a very interesting concept. A dealer in Fargo, North Dakota, had gotten a
pre-release version to allow the public to see it. Production started yesterday.

The new F-150 appears beefier that past editions. Its design is reminiscent of the F-250/350.

I read in the accompanying article that the new F-150 is 700 lbs. lighter than the steel-bodied version. This will increase payload and towing capacity.

If Ford will now follow Ram's lead and produce a diesel version, they will have one heck of a tow vehicle.

I think that this will be a winning concept, and I hope that GM and Chrysler will follow suit.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	111214-B-FF-Ford2.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	226336  

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I just read an article on the new aluminum-bodied Ford F-150. It sounds like a very interesting concept. A dealer in Fargo, North Dakota, had gotten a
pre-release version to allow the public to see it. Production started yesterday.

The new F-150 appears beefier that past editions. Its design is reminiscent of the F-250/350.

I read in the accompanying article that the new F-150 is 700 lbs. lighter than the steel-bodied version. This will increase payload and towing capacity.

If Ford will now follow Ram's lead and produce a diesel version, they will have one heck of a tow vehicle.

I think that this will be a winning concept, and I hope that GM and Chrysler will follow suit.

Brian
If it gains an even bigger market share for Ford, you can almost bet they will.

I wonder, however, if the aluminum will be standard, or an option, and if an option, at what cost?

Old 11-12-2014, 10:04 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
If it gains an even bigger market share for Ford, you can almost bet they will.

I wonder, however, if the aluminum will be standard, or an option, and if an option, at what cost?
All 2015 F150s will have an aluminum body, it's not optional.

There's a great deal of consternation about pricing on the F150 forums, mainly because lots of people can't quite grasp the concept that you can't really compare the MSRP of a future vehicle to the deeply-discounted transaction price of the outgoing truck. That doesn't seem to stop the "zOMG it's more expensive!! The world is coming to an end!" responses, however.

For me, doing a comparison of MSRP between a '14 Lariat Supercrew and a '15 equipped like I'd buy it, trying to keep all of the configuration the same, before adding the bed-side step not available on a '14 the '15 is about $100 more expensive, and has a LOT more content. The price seems to have changed more on certain trims, but I'm not sure how the content of those trims has shifted because that's not what I'm tracking from personal interest.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
That's probably less than the average "new model" price increase.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
As I understand it (talking to a buddy who is a dealer) the other makers (GM, Ram, Toyota) etc are scrambling as we speak to launch their own versions with Alum bodies. Industry insiders thinks this will be a game changes, time will tell!

Steve - The Alum body will not be an option at all. This will be the new standard. The retooling to build this truck has been substantial. They even rented a test building 4-football fields long just to set the production line up for testing. Then took everything apart and set it up again in the real plant.

I really hope this truck will be as good as the hype!....

Cheers
Doug
Old 11-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
It's very difficult to quantify real truck prices these days. MSRP means very little, in a time when rebates can easily be 7K.

It'll be very interesting to watch the success of the all aluminum body. I'm happy to see it, it'll increase the number of body shops that might be able to work on our AS bodies!
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
That's probably less than the average "new model" price increase.
Yes, and the difference may be more on the less-posh model lines, etc. They've reshuffled content enough in the various configurations that you have to study it for a while to know how much to add to a 2014 to make it genuinely comparable to the '15 that it's frustrating. If you don't line up the content you can easily get what looks like a $2k difference, and they've done things like take FX4 from a freestanding config (like XLT or Lariat) and make it a package you add. That really riled up the people with older FX4s and made some of them claim things like "Now a new FX4 will cost me a lot more!" because it requires another options package along with it.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
Old 11-12-2014, 10:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Seems as long as Ford is the only one with the aluminum body, there will be very few "rebates" or price cuts. That's usually the way it works when they have the only game in town.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Gosh. Now you can have filiform corrosion on both tow vehicle and trailer! At least they'll match.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
Gosh. Now you can have filiform corrosion on both tow vehicle and trailer! At least they'll match.
But will they both leak?

I'm sure that they've researched the corrosion potential carefully. Painted aluminum surfaces will probably be more corrosion resistant than painted steel.

The big question in my mind is will the all AL bodies be as resistant to dings and dents as in the past.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Seems as long as Ford is the only one with the aluminum body, there will be very few "rebates" or price cuts. That's usually the way it works when they have the only game in town.
I think there will be rebates and/or other incentives about a day after Ford decides they've fulfilled all the "gotta have the newest one RIGHT NOW!" orders, but as long as they have good sales numbers they may have smaller incentives (thus higher transaction prices) than the rest of the "Big 3."

Old 11-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #12
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
As I understand it (talking to a buddy who is a dealer) the other makers (GM, Ram, Toyota) etc are scrambling as we speak to launch their own versions with Alum bodies. Industry insiders thinks this will be a game changes, time will tell!
Dodge has publicly stated they will not switch to Aluminum anytime soon, not till they're refresh in 2017. Possibly even longer.

A lot of people think steel is stronger, and Dodge thinks that is going to be a selling point for them, especially commercial buyers.

Time will only tell however.

Source: Exclusive: Chrysler's Ram pickup may stick with steel through 2020 - sources | Reuters

The truck looks beefier, but I bet it isn't. When Ford brought the window design over from the F-250's, rather than making the window actually drop down like on the F-250, they made the window narrower in height.

It's an interesting design none the less.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Just be aware that many people are waiting for the "real world" weight reduction numbers. 700 lbs will not be all vehicles, all configurations, but probably one very specific configuration. Nonetheless, I hope Ford the best of luck.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Yes, and although they may be marketing it for increased payload and towing, the whole deal is really about CAFE standards (fuel mileage). And so Dodge may be relying on their new V6 Diesel engine's mileage numbers to maintain their averages high enough that they don't need to go to aluminum bodies. If you check the Ford page on the new truck specs, they've also added a new smaller Ecoboost V6 for better mileage.