Old 11-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #57
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
When we buy a TV, we use the Costco service. They pre-negotiate the prices, which tend to hover above or below the invoice price. You tell the dealer what you want, they show you their Costco price sheet, and it's over.

It's just so much simpler, and saves literally hours of wasted time while the salesperson pretends to go back and forth with the sales manager to "get you a great price." We've had excellent experiences with this service every time. The purchase is quick, clean, and I feel like I'm getting a very good price much more quickly, with little or no stress. They even have Costco discounts for things like extended warranties, should you choose to get one for your TV.

I'm sure there are other similar services out there. Since we're members of Costco, that's the one we use.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #58

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Sorry, I asked this question before but when you are ordering a vehicle do you pay MSRP or can you negotiate the price? Vehicles sitting on dealers lots must accrue finance charges so is the dealer more likely to have more room to negotiate? Also given the options you choose can they tell you the range of expected payload?

Kelvin
Since I have also found that getting the truck set up just like I want it is likely to require ordering, I'll probably buy on the X-plan or at least use that number as a starting point for negotiation. It's close to invoice, and available whether you order or buy off the lot. Another nice thing about X-plan is you can often "AND" the promotions that are advertised as "OR" (e.g. take both rebate and promotional finance rates, or get 2 rebates that are generally mutually exclusive.) I'm not yet sure if that's always the case or it's something they've offered at certain times, I haven't bought a new vehicle in a long time. I've not yet used the X-plan, just researched it.

In my case I qualify because I'm a shareholder (you must hold at least 100 shares for 6 months or more.) There are a couple of clubs you can join that qualify you as well, one of the Mustang clubs and the EAA for example.

You can put in the Partner Code (the code specific to the group that qualifies you for X-plan) and see the prices on the online builder tool, so you'll know what you're getting into.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:52 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvery Moon View Post
When we buy a TV, we use the Costco service. They pre-negotiate the prices, which tend to hover above or below the invoice price. You tell the dealer what you want, they show you their Costco price sheet, and it's over.

+1 for the Costco service. I purchased my last two trucks that way - one off the lot, and another custom-ordered. It's simple, non-contentious, and I felt like the price was very fair in both cases.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
All of the advise makes sense. I do not have experience with X-plan but I do know that there are very good discounts from "family" members of the big 3 automakers, with a code also. Personally, from my experience, (new car or TV every 3 years) I have learned that if you enter what your looking for on Edmonds or a site similar with your contact/zip code information, you will get responses from their internet department typically, and you can request "best offer" quote, without having the hassle of negotiating at the dealer. Let them know you are serious and want best/final pricing. You can compare offers and use that information to negotiate on the phone, but likely you will end up around $100-$200 difference in each final quote. When I got our Platinum couple years ago, I had purchased my last 2 Tahoe's from the owner and got great deals. I now wanted the Ford, so he introduced me to his brother, who owned the Ford dealership. No strong arm selling, he said find the one I want and he would price it. I took his price to another Ford dealer, asked for the sales manager, showed him the quote, and he said he could get close, but was still off by $400. I went with original quote. I asked about ordering and was told you can get close to lot pricing also, depending on what deals Ford is offering...I have not ordered from factory yet however. Typically, if you do the internet Edmonds thing, good chance there is a vehicle out there already....then again, with certain features, you may have to order.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:37 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Vehicles on dealer lots are most often still on a Floor Plan through the manufacturer. The floor can be no payments for 90 days, interest only for longer etc. They can and often are structured depending on the vehicle and what the manufacturer wants to move at the time. Always keep in mind with government cafe standards the manufacturers need to sell X number of high mileage vehicles for every low mileage vehicle they sell ie our tow vehicles.

I would never pay MSRP, someone said start at X plan which is a good starting point. Also, I use Edmunds to determine the actual cost of the new vehicle as well as every option I want on the vehicle and then the value of my trade. I also back check with KBB and Black Book as well as NADA. With all four I go in for a discussion. If it does not or is not going my way, I thank them and walk. Fortunately I have a Ford dealer from whom I've purchased over 100 vehicles through the years for pleasure and for business, employees pick up trucks and SUVs mainly so they know me and my "policy" and I simply go in and order what I want, get the Y plan and dicker a little on trade.

Good Luck

Quote:
Sorry, I asked this question before but when you are ordering a vehicle do you pay MSRP or can you negotiate the price? Vehicles sitting on dealers lots must accrue finance charges so is the dealer more likely to have more room to negotiate? Also given the options you choose can they tell you the range of expected payload?

Kelvin
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #62

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
EPA mileage figures out for the aluminum F150

Last week, Ford FINALLY released their official MPG figures for the 2015 F150s. They're showing improvement across the board over their 2014 truck, and crowing about the 2.7l EcoBoost having the highest official highway MPG for a full-sized gasoline-powered truck. It's still 2 mpg shy of the RAM EcoDiesel numbers, but the 2.7L F150 can be had cheaper and the lower cost of unleaded vs. diesel tilts the comparison there as well, so it's a decent choice for fuel misers, but the Ford engine isn't available in the really fancy trucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f150_15_fuelecon.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	227292  

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
Old 11-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
Ford Sync

I had heard that Ford was going to change from Microsoft to Blackberry for their SYNC system. My current SYNC system is a pain in the rear. Microsoft did not so a good job of developing a bug free system. Has anyone heard of this change by Ford and know the status of it. Is it on the 2015 models?
Old 11-24-2014, 12:50 PM   #64
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
how is "3000lbs +" payload a 1/2-ton truck?
Holy Cow!
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:39 PM   #65

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
how is "3000lbs +" payload a 1/2-ton truck?
Holy Cow!
It requires a VERY particular configuration to get anywhere close to that. I suspect the ones on the high side of 3k lb will all be Regular Cab trucks, and the ones in the high 2k range in Supercab and SuperCrew configs will mostly be XLs and base-config XLTs with the HD Payload option (read: LONG wheelbase) just like the previous generation.

For popular configs (blinged-out SuperCrews) at least there's a noteworthy increase from a similarly-configured 2014.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:21 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
2015 F150 XLT Window Sticker

I found this window sticker of a 2015 F150. Notice the 3.5L Ecoboost is a $1995 option vs the 2014 $1095 price. The 36 gallon fuel tank is a $195 option. It has a 7700 GVWR. I wonder what the useable load is on this?

Kelvin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2015 Sticker.pdf (1.42 MB, 61 views)
Old 11-25-2014, 02:34 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
I found this window sticker of a 2015 F150. Notice the 3.5L Ecoboost is a $1995 option vs the 2014 $1095 price. The 36 gallon fuel tank is a $195 option. It has a 7700 GVWR. I wonder what the useable load is on this?

Kelvin
I suspect you can get those "extra" items included with certain packages, plus other "stuff"?
Old 11-25-2014, 04:46 PM   #68
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
The only way I know of to be certain what a given truck can carry is to weigh it with a driver and a full tank of gas, deducting that figure from the GVWR. The dealer won't know or care when he tries to give guidance, so my current theory is that it's on you to try and get a weigh-in during your test drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:21 PM   #69
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Appears to have a payload capacity of close to 2000lbs. That is pretty descent.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:23 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Some 2015s are showing up on local Ford websites. I downloaded a couple of window stickers for 3.5L EB Supercrew and despite being 4x4 they only had 23 gal fuel tanks. I guess the 36 gal is not automatic for 4x4 and an option.

Kelvin