Old 11-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Well, Guys, I hope you're right. I guess time will tell, as they say.

Personally, I see this Al body thing as a flash in the pan. I don't see it catching on for several reasons.

If it would help, I'd be glad to donate all my beer cans each week to FoMoCo.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickory View Post
I have a 97 Dodge dually. When the bed got restyled ( don't ask). I put a aluminum flat bed on it. I never weighed either one but the flat bed is certainly lighter. My truck doesn't ride nearly as good as it did with the original bed. Rear end is much lighter.
Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Hickory
Does it surprise you that when you removed hundreds of pounds of weight from a suspension calibrated for the additional weight it rides worse?
The tests of the pre production F-150's all claim that in spite of the additional weight carrying ability of the aluminum truck the ride is the best ever for the series.

I am curious to test drive one.
Bruce

Old 11-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
What happens when you need body work performed on an aluminum body? Are body shops able to handle this situation? I imagine the whole panel would have to be replaced.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The info that we have right now, at work, indicates that 10% of body shops, nationally, are equipped and trained for aluminum body repairs.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Many of those "real" trucks passing you on the highway are aluminium with steel frames (they even used to have some alum frames in previous years), the trailers have a lot of alum in them, some are mostly alum, dump bodies are quite often alum. There is nothing new under the sun about this. If Ford can make the paint stick, and they should be able too, I am sure this truck will be a success. Some body shops have been working on aluminium in cars for years, it will likely become less expensive to repair as more shops, better techniques and more competition arrive on the scene. I'd buy one in a heart beat, and likely will in a couple of years when 2/3 year old late model used ones hit the market (I don't buy new vehicles, I let somebody else lose all that moo-laa on them - this would include Airstreams too LOL - which are, guess what, mostly aluminum. ;-) )
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:33 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I too may do the same, wait a couple of years, for some preowned 2015s. However, I've been looking at 2011 thru 2014 and the used market is hard to find one with the payload package and rear end. If 7200GVWR and a 3.31 rear end is good enough there is ample but if you are looking for max trailer packages and higher GVWR they are rare. Buying a preowned Tundra is much simpler as they all have the maximum towing when you search for the 5.7L. Maybe the only thing you have to add is the towing mirrors. The prices of 2012/2013 and even 2011 are close to new 2014 prices. Maybe there is a lot more wingle room on the preowned.

With the 2015 my understanding the 3.55 rear end will be standard and with the aluminum weight savings maybe trying to find one with the right GVWR won't be so hard.

Kelvin
Old 11-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
More of the 2007-2008 Tundras had the trailer towing mirrors. I haven't seen any 2014 Tundras with towing mirrors.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:42 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
It is hard finding F150's with the max tow (used). Even harder with both max tow and payload. I ran the numbers and for my use, a SCREW shortbed with the max tow 7650 GVWR worked for me. With the max payload you have to get the longer wheelbase. Nothing wrong with that, but we camp in a lot of state parks in the mountains with fairly tight campsites at times, a longer wheelbase just makes it hard to crank back into those tough sites.

When I walked out to my old truck last Saturday, I was thinking about changing the oil, but I noticed some rust on the rocker panel on the drivers side. I went around and saw some on the passengers side too. Since I had been thinking about pulling the trigger in the near future that did it for me. I didn't want to go another nasty, salt infested winter and just have it look worse in the spring so I hit cars.com and started looking. I found one Saturday evening, a 2012 Platinum shortbed SCREW with 22k miles ( turned out too it was in perfect shape). Max Tow, 7650 GVWR, 3.73 Elec. Lock Diff. So Sunday morning (dealers are open in Montgomery Co. MD on Sundays) we hit the road to Gaithersburg. Bing, boom, bam a couple of hours later we were headed home in our "new" truck. Its kind of a dark gray/silver that should look great towing the Safari. It has the grey leather interior (not just heated seats but AC too!, looking forward to trying that out (the sooner the better with the crappy cold weather we have had). Even had the bedliner and a nice, hard tonneau cover (both of which I would have purchased myself if they wern't on the truck). This one has all the bells and whistles as we will also use is as our "family car" on non-towing roadtrips. Kind of a pre-retirement splurge. It was owned by a guy in the Navy and spent most of it's life in SOCAL. I dont think it has seen snow yet, but it will this winter1

Now to hook it up, get the Equalizer set up and try it out. Of course the weather is not cooperating around here this week! To freakin' cold for that nonsense (at least as far as I am concerned LOL). The engine specs aren't that far off from my trusty 2003 Duramax that I traded in....and got a great price for BTW, so I think it will work out just fine. I thought about another diesel, but spending time on the forums and reading about problems with the DEF systems etc., I thought I would go with a gasser. Maybe I'll go diesel again in a few years...but in reality, we are thinking about downsizing to a 25' at some point and if the Ecoboost works out, I would likey go with an F150 again. However, I expect to drive this for a few years first!

blah blah blah, that's my new truck story LOL
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:09 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Sounds like you found a great buy. The preowned Plantinums in my area are as high as the brand new 2014 XLT that have better towing specs. I'm kinda thinking I need to make a purchase soon while I'm working because I know as soon as I retire in the next 4 years I'm going to turn into a cheap old miser to make my money last into retirement.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #38
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I ordered a 2015 Platinum which has a higher trim level then my 2013 Lariat. Ended up being about $1000.00 less actually.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:20 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
When you order a vehicle can you negotiate with the price?

Does the ordering process give you any idea of the payload your new truck will have?

I went through the Ford website build to order just for fun on a 2015 and it appears the only way you can get a HD Payload option is at the expense of many options. I didn't see any GVRW options like I see on the stickers of 2014. There is a Max Trailer Towing option but when it comes to the summary it doesn't give you any stats that give you a possible range of payload, at least I couldn't find any.

Kelvin
Old 11-20-2014, 08:40 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
When you order a vehicle can you negotiate with the price?

Does the ordering process give you any idea of the payload your new truck will have?

I went through the Ford website build to order just for fun on a 2015 and it appears the only way you can get a HD Payload option is at the expense of many options. I didn't see any GVRW options like I see on the stickers of 2014. There is a Max Trailer Towing option but when it comes to the summary it doesn't give you any stats that give you a possible range of payload, at least I couldn't find any.

Kelvin
Kelvin,

IMO and experience (industry, not brand specific), if you got to a commercial dealer (one with a lot of white paint and F450s, cab and chassis, and cargo vans) you should be able to find a sales consultant who has the data for weight on EVERY little option and get real close to an actual production vehicle weight and payload etc.

If you walk in the front door and ask, you'll get the deer in the headlight look. Find the fleet department and ask if they will help. They're not retail sales folks, but if you're serious and try and coordinate with the retail sales dept...and talk real nice (maybe to the general manager), maybe they'll spend time with you. Remember the fleet guy probably isn't making a dime on the retail sale, so be nice!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Just a point or two
Is not the Army Humvee body made of aluminum?I think it has done well because it has good strength and flexability.Even the Bradley fighting vehicale uses a lot of aluminum .I do not know what Ford is using as"Military Grade" but aluminum like military 5456-H151 is good stuff.
My son has used pickup trucks in his work from all big 3 makers depending on who gave him the best price.But this year he will not buy any Dodges because of $$ it takes to maintaine them over the other 2.They run about 60 to 70 miles a year and all are kept 3 to 4 years.
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:44 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyboy View Post
It is hard finding F150's with the max tow (used). Even harder with both max tow and payload. I ran the numbers and for my use, a SCREW shortbed with the max tow 7650 GVWR worked for me. With the max payload you have to get the longer wheelbase. Nothing wrong with that, but we camp in a lot of state parks in the mountains with fairly tight campsites at times, a longer wheelbase just makes it hard to crank back into those tough sites.

When I walked out to my old truck last Saturday, I was thinking about changing the oil, but I noticed some rust on the rocker panel on the drivers side. I went around and saw some on the passengers side too. Since I had been thinking about pulling the trigger in the near future that did it for me. I didn't want to go another nasty, salt infested winter and just have it look worse in the spring so I hit cars.com and started looking. I found one Saturday evening, a 2012 Platinum shortbed SCREW with 22k miles ( turned out too it was in perfect shape). Max Tow, 7650 GVWR, 3.73 Elec. Lock Diff. So Sunday morning (dealers are open in Montgomery Co. MD on Sundays) we hit the road to Gaithersburg. Bing, boom, bam a couple of hours later we were headed home in our "new" truck. Its kind of a dark gray/silver that should look great towing the Safari. It has the grey leather interior (not just heated seats but AC too!, looking forward to trying that out (the sooner the better with the crappy cold weather we have had). Even had the bedliner and a nice, hard tonneau cover (both of which I would have purchased myself if they wern't on the truck). This one has all the bells and whistles as we will also use is as our "family car" on non-towing roadtrips. Kind of a pre-retirement splurge. It was owned by a guy in the Navy and spent most of it's life in SOCAL. I dont think it has seen snow yet, but it will this winter1

Now to hook it up, get the Equalizer set up and try it out. Of course the weather is not cooperating around here this week! To freakin' cold for that nonsense (at least as far as I am concerned LOL). The engine specs aren't that far off from my trusty 2003 Duramax that I traded in....and got a great price for BTW, so I think it will work out just fine. I thought about another diesel, but spending time on the forums and reading about problems with the DEF systems etc., I thought I would go with a gasser. Maybe I'll go diesel again in a few years...but in reality, we are thinking about downsizing to a 25' at some point and if the Ecoboost works out, I would likey go with an F150 again. However, I expect to drive this for a few years first!

blah blah blah, that's my new truck story LOL
I think you'll enjoy the Ecoboost. I traded my 07 F250 4x4 w/ 6.0 diesel in for a 2011 Ecoboost Crew Cab 4x4 w/ max tow. While the 07 was a wonderful truck for the 160,000 miles I had it the Ecoboost was a joy to drive and tow with. We typically use our 25' CCD and we load it heavy. The Ecoboost had no problems towing it over Colorado/ New Mexico mountain passes and I even had the opportunity to tow a 34' with it. It never whimpered. Just good strong power with very little downshifting. We put 80,000 miles on it, 30,000 was towing with no issues. We made the mistake of looking at a new Platinum Crew Cab 4x4 back in March that was also equipped with the Max Tow and ended up trading the 2011 in for that truck.

Currently the Platinum has 23,000 miles on it, 9,000 of it towing. The only negative that I can say is two things:

1. Towing mileage is typically right at 8-9 though I have seen some stretches in the 11-12 range if there is no wind. Reducing speed doesn't seem to help - it likes the 65-67 mph zone. This was true for both trucks. Also, window sticker mpg was very optimistic - running empty we are usually at 18.5 -19.

2. Engine braking on long grades such as coming off Monarch Pass in Colorado or Slumgullion Pass is poor compared to all of my previous vehicles. I guess this is just a factor of the small 3.5L displacement. You wind up braking quite a bit.

Other than that we love the truck - especially the comforts of the Platinum.

AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote