Old 11-19-2015, 01:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
All Powerstroke Owners Need To Watch This

Let me start off by saying that I am a Ford man through and through. I think they make the best trucks in America as is proven by their popularity with commercial businesses including most construction companies. I have owned 3 Powerstroke Ford Trucks that were all 7.3's of some version. Once the 6.0 started having problems, my next and current truck is a2008 V-10, which has 170,000 trouble free miles. A lot has been said of the 6.0 and the newer 6.4 and 6.7, both pro and con. This video will give you some insight on the newer Powerstroke engines. That being said, ALL of the negatives associated with the Powerstroke will also pertain to both the Chevy and Dodge diesel engines since they all are required to have the latest EPA required emissions. I predict that the newer gas engines will last as long if not longer than the new diesel engines. Check it out.

2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
The golden age of American diesel engines has past.

Their "simple reliability" has given way to very complex electronics and systems that will probably never match past diesel reliability or gasoline reliability.

I have three Ford V10 trucks, that have proven more reliable and much cheaper to keep running than the Diesel Chevys and Fords we purchased from the same era. (Mid 2000s)

Of the three Diesels, one Chevy is parked, one Ford is parked, and one Chevy runs. The three Fords that run are older and have many more miles than the diesels that do not.

We have a couple of Dodge diesels from the same era that have been pretty reliable, but the cost of the infrequent repairs has far exceeded the cost of keeping the V10s running.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
My 2007 dodge with 6.7 has 96000 miles, only used for traveling with our airstream, so far no problems I will buy another in a couple years, my old 7.3 with the turbo is not in the same field.....
Old 11-19-2015, 02:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
2014 Ford Superduty 6.7 bought new in May 2014....47,000 miles. Took us to Alaska, the South west, and just returned from Newfoundland. Absolutely a great vehicle.

https://instagram.com/silvereagle3100/
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:27 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Manheim , Pennsylvania
My 2012 Ford F250 6.7 powerstroke is at the dealer right now. I got the warning message "Speed will be limited to 50 mph in 50 miles". Yes it has DEF in it. The EPA regulations are ridiculous! If the technology doesn't work or unreliable, don't make the trucks! I am mad!
Old 11-19-2015, 04:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
My 2007 dodge with 6.7 has 96000 miles, only used for traveling with our airstream, so far no problems I will buy another in a couple years, my old 7.3 with the turbo is not in the same field.....
But I'll bet there are more old 7.3's with more miles on them than all of the older Cummins engines in pickups combined. The Cummins has an instant problem with heat and the trannies are horrible, not to mention the awful frames and front ends. When I was living in Phoenix and had my 7.3 turbo rebuilt, I asked the rebuilder which engine he sees the most turbo problems and he said hands down, the Cummins turbo is the worst. So, every engine has some problems, but diesel engines are all an accident waiting to happen, whether it's a fuel issue, turbo(s), injectors, pumps or DEF. Not so with a gas engine, just spark plugs, cheap maintenance and not very complicated. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:04 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Pappy

"ALL of the negatives associated with the Powerstroke will also pertain to both the Chevy and Dodge diesel engines since they all are required to have the latest EPA required emissions. I predict that the newer gas engines will last as long if not longer than the new diesel engines."

That's a pretty bold statement there Pappy, and I respectfully disagree with your thinking. You're lumpin' em all onto the same barge goin' down the river buddy.

Did you notice the number of times he said "once I get done with them"? Obviously he is modifying the newer diesels, and puttin' em back to "old school" by removing most of the crap that this current EPA administration has forced down the throats of the big 3. Do you think he cares about extra pollutants in the air from his modified diesel engines? Hell no he doesn't. As a consumer, you have every right to remove that crap. Sure, you'll void you're warranty, but once you get over 100k miles, you don't have one, and neither will I.

Diesel engines are not going by the wayside, and a gas engine is not going to get you farther than a diesel. You're statement is just a little too broad IMHO.

I am watching my odometer pretty closely. The minute I go over 100k miles, ALL of that junk is coming off of it, & I plan on getting at LEAST 200-300k more miles out of it, easily. That's why I bought it!

Think outside of the box buddy. It's YOUR $, and YOUR truck.
Sea ya down the road,
Gavin
Old 11-19-2015, 05:50 PM   #8
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I like Bill Hewitt, and I trust his experience. He makes a lot of good information available for free at his site. I'm confident that if I had a problem with my 7.3L PowerStroke engine, I could order his step-by-step repair video(s) and fix it myself. If it looked like too big a job for me, I would haul my truck to his shop to fix it.
I have spoken to him several times on the phone and he has always been helpful to me. It seemed like a case of: IF you can get him on the phone, he won't make you feel like you are bothering him. If I ever need to replace my 1995 PowerStroke, I'd gladly see what he has on hand for sale in the 2005-2007 range.
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:43 PM   #9
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
But I'll bet there are more old 7.3's with more miles on them than all of the older Cummins engines in pickups combined. The Cummins has an instant problem with heat and the trannies are horrible, not to mention the awful frames and front ends. When I was living in Phoenix and had my 7.3 turbo rebuilt, I asked the rebuilder which engine he sees the most turbo problems and he said hands down, the Cummins turbo is the worst. So, every engine has some problems, but diesel engines are all an accident waiting to happen, whether it's a fuel issue, turbo(s), injectors, pumps or DEF. Not so with a gas engine, just spark plugs, cheap maintenance and not very complicated. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I'm failing to see much benefit from this thread. You start with engines, instant problems with heat? no clue what that is and I've followed TDR since '05 and then blame transmissions and frames and front ends.

Why did you need 3 7.3L's anyway.

Any truck that has evolved into something that the cab has to come off to do any work on it is a design compromise IMHO.

Sales numbers or not.

170K on mine and the engine has had filters and oil changes.

I'm tired, don't plan on visiting this thread again.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:24 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
Dang it Pappy.

I haven't laughed out loud in a long time but you sure did the trick Pappy. Wow what a statement. I just am at a loss for words.
Guess I'm lucky to be alive and still walking around after driving one of those truck you are alluding to. Third one now with 240,000 miles, first two had over 300,000 miles. Not highway miles, farm truck miles.
Have a good one and God Bless.
Hickory
Old 11-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Manheim , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeboxfun View Post
My 2012 Ford F250 6.7 powerstroke is at the dealer right now. I got the warning message "Speed will be limited to 50 mph in 50 miles". Yes it has DEF in it. The EPA regulations are ridiculous! If the technology doesn't work or unreliable, don't make the trucks! I am mad!
Just got my truck back. They said no "hard" codes, whatever that means. They say it's okay and strongly suggest I use the Motorcraft cetane boost to help the engine burn cleaner. Ok, I will, who knew? I didn't.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:34 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
I have been working on Cummins powered pick ups since their inception in 89.Your turbo statement is insane as well as your overheat comment.The Ford 6.0 and 6.4 are the turbo eaters
2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:37 PM   #13
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Pass the popcorn, it's starting to get good.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:28 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
Don't know what Bill H. is saying this time. I do know that the M50 specification Ford uses is 350Kmiles. That is a good spec. for truck owners.

It is not too difficult to keep the service up to date so that all the filters are clean. Most users find this delivers a good vehicle. There are 2 fuel, one oil, and one air filter.

Other users modify their trucks for "racing" with lifts, chips to increase hp and all kinds of stuff the make their trucks fast. Those trucks do have problems.

Until the data is sorted separating out the modified and overworked trucks there is no value in making any claims; unless .....