Old 11-21-2015, 01:16 PM   #57
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
No experience with the smaller diesels. Maybe find a commercial user with the same engine in a delivery truck or similar fleet. That would help with finding out how they hold up in a tough environment.

Ampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 01:24 PM   #58
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
VW just announced that the 3.0 liter TDI in Touareg/Q7/Cayenne also uses the emission defeat device, so I think the sale of these vehicles is on hold.

As for the 3.0 Liter V6 in Mercedes, the engine seems to be fine, but the DEF tank/heater/etc seem prone to failure. The DEF tank heater on our GL 350 failed recently (after 3 1/2 years of ownership). It was fixed under warranty (it would have cost $1700 out of warranty). To have peace of mind, we bought a 7 year/100k warranty. We will see how things go after 7 year warranty is over.

I really hope car manufacturers can make the DEF components more reliable. The low end torque in diesel engines makes for a relaxed driving/towing experience. Its really a joy to drive a diesel vehicle.

rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:22 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We have the Mercedes V6 pre DEF.

I have 145,000 miles on the 2007 ML 320 CDI which has had a few gasket issues recently, but no mechanical failure. Repairs after the expiration of my seven year, 100,000 mile warranty can often vaporize the credit card to just replace a gasket or a front remanufactured air shock. I ignore the recommended longer service interval and change oil and filters every 5,000 miles and do the other services when suggested by either the schedule or the deal mechanic from visual inspection. I was able to get over 100,000 miles on the original brakes because of all the long distance driving from multiple trips across the USA.

In October 2012, this car towed the 2013 25FB home through the mountains on I-10 between Los Angles and Phoenix. Unfortunately, after loading the trailer for camping and with my wife also in the car, the CAT scales showed overloaded axles and exceeded GVW so it was retired from that job.

In July, I drove it from Phoenix to New Jersey towing a U-Haul trailer with tires and parts to pickup the 23D. I went from Lakewood, NJ to CanAm in London, Ontario to get the Hensley setup tweaked. From there I drove the rig to Paradise, TX for the modifications and several months later drove the rig to Phoenix through the mountains. That was about 2,800 miles of flat and mountainous driving with a max speed of 65 mph. The engine would drop gears and could maintain the set cruise control speed. One must be aware of how hard and long one pushes the rig on climbs to preclude overheating the transmission. Wish there was a temperature gage for the tranny.

The power plant had no issues. The 23D is both much lighter and narrower than the 25FB so there is less wind resistance. The way the car handles this load, I think it is the perfect fit for the ML.

My wife's 2009 E320 CDI has about 40,000 with no issues to date. It lives the typical spouse local stuff, but where we live, a trip to the grocery choice is at least 20 miles each way so the engine gets throughly heated nearly every trip.
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:19 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member
1986 25' Sovereign
Oak Harbor , Washington
6L owners, make sure your batteries are fully charged. Get a good charger and use it to top off your batteries and also to maintain them at 100% charged. I do this on weekends, and I find that after doing this for awhile my batteries stay much closer to 100 charge.

In a 6.0L the fuel injector control module needs to have 12V or higher. When you first start your engine the automatic glow plug circuit draws the battery voltage down. It has been shown that 11.5 VDC is the danger/damage voltage for the injector controller.

Engine alternators by design can't fully charge your battery therefore overtime the capacity will continue to reduce, hence my recommendation and my practice of using a second battery charger to finish the battery charging, which keeps the batteries at peak performance.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:35 AM   #61
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
Let me start off by saying that I am a Ford man through and through. I think they make the best trucks in America as is proven by their popularity with commercial businesses including most construction companies. I have owned 3 Powerstroke Ford Trucks that were all 7.3's of some version. Once the 6.0 started having problems, my next and current truck is a2008 V-10, which has 170,000 trouble free miles. A lot has been said of the 6.0 and the newer 6.4 and 6.7, both pro and con. This video will give you some insight on the newer Powerstroke engines. That being said, ALL of the negatives associated with the Powerstroke will also pertain to both the Chevy and Dodge diesel engines since they all are required to have the latest EPA required emissions. I predict that the newer gas engines will last as long if not longer than the new diesel engines. Check it out.

The higher your expectations the fewer your options.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote