Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2015, 09:28 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Here is a ford 6.7 piston.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	piston.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	252543  
Old 11-20-2015, 09:28 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Hmm, just got a letter from Chrysler about their extended warranties for my 2015 Ram CTD. I didn't get one at the dealer because it was through a 3rd party administrator. I wonder if I should consider. I don't plan on putting many miles in the next 3 years while under bumper to bumper warranty since I still work and its not my daily driver. I just drive it to work once a week or on weekend camping trips. During the winter months probably will put only 120 miles a month on it.

Kelvin
Old 11-20-2015, 10:01 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Is that truck is a 2005? That year they got some bad pistons.

Yea it is. I hadn't heard about about the piston issue until now.

I wonder if GM will give me a new long block?

just dreaming...

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:03 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
All Powerstroke Owners Need To Watch This

Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Here is a ford 6.7 piston.

The forward (as pictured) rod bolt failed, causing massive engine damage no doubt.

Scrap one $12,000 long block.

The piston in my DMax turned into a thousand pieces.

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-20-2015, 10:08 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
This is all BS. Lol.....

You can find this type of bashing propaganda for any brand.Truth is they are all pretty good and it is just a matter of owner preference.Modifying these new computerized diesel engines is a huge mistake as shown in the forums.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:21 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
I have owned Ford Diesels since 1992 and I have never had one into the shop. Just maintenance, tires, and fuel.

I currently have a 2013 F-250 Platinum with 60K on it. I have put about 30K a year on it and have traveled a little over half that mileage pulling a 27FB International Airstream.

I get about 19 highway / 16 town. Towing I get 13 highway.

Never owned a better truck but I can't wait for the 2017 all aluminum F-250. This looks like a killer vehicle and I love the stronger frame, better brakes, bigger axels, as well as all the new tech and cameras.

2017 Super Duty Pickup | Ford Full-Size Trucks
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:27 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Some makes, models, and equipment are more prone to problems than others.

The ridiculous hoops that make things more and more complex as a rule do not help reliability.

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-20-2015, 10:30 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I prefer the inherent smoothness of an in-line 6 (like the Cummins) to any V8 gas or diesel made. The next size up in smoothness would be a straight 12.

The original 5.7 Cummins for the Dodge pickups had a turbo charger built by our licensee, Holset Engineering, in Huddersfield, UK. There were few issues with the turbocharger that was based upon the designs used for the larger six cylinder Cummins of the day. We also built them for the other engine manufacturers including Mack, John Deere, Continental, International Harvester (original source for Ford's diesel engines but they were modified by Ford), Caterpillar, Detroit Diesel etc.

That UK licensee eventually was purchased by Cummins to bring the turbo charger design and manufacturing in-house.

The first secret for turbo life is starting the engine without a throttle blip until thirty seconds after the oil pressure builds up enough to lubricate the shaft in the turbo (the normal engine pressure at idle). We had 2" turbos turning over 200,000 rpm and they need oil for those speeds. The six inch turbos on the Continental M-60 tank engine turned around 60,000 rpm with the design challenge of having to run at maximum power with the turbine housing cherry red and not failing when the engine went under water fording a river.

The second secret is on on engine shutdown. Let the engine idle and drop the EGT to 300 degreaser less before shutting off the engine so the oil does not cook onto the turbo charger shaft.

To enhance operating life, the EGT (exhaust gas temperate gage) needs to be monitored to keep the number below 1,200 degrees to prevent damaging the aluminum compressor wheel.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I have saved big bucks rebuilding my own turbos.

Often, a hundred dollar kit can save $1,500 for a rebuilt unit.

Getting the turbo off of a Chevy or Ford is harder than rebuilding the turbo itself.

Fortunately, turbos are still simple devices, even the variable vane units.

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-20-2015, 12:05 PM   #30
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
I prefer the inherent smoothness of an in-line 6 (like the Cummins) to any V8 gas or diesel made. The next size up in smoothness would be a straight 12.
Fully agree with you on preferring inline six engines over V8 models (or four cylinder models, for that matter). The next step up would be a V12, though.

Best sounding diesel engine ever: A 4600 hp (continuous rated) Caterpillar 3612 packaged into a 3300 eKW genset, undergoing witness tests. Custom built test bay. Instantaneous block loading with resistive load banks, for acceptance tests related to emergency standby.

Does Switz relate to Schwitzer?

Jeff
jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
http://www.e31.net/engines_e.html

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-20-2015, 01:12 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
He complains about sales guys, that's calling the kettle black. I didn't catch what state he was from, wondering if they have annual manadatory vehicle inspections there, but curious if he is bucking the EPA requirements. I hate what the manaufactires have had to do to meet EPA requirements on Diesels, but they are what they are, and getting caught trying to buck the system...you think rebuilding a Diesel engine is expensive wait till Unlce Sam sends you the bill.

PS: I am a nut about keeping all preventative maintenance tip top, to a fault on my diesels. But with that said:

I have had three 3/4 ton diesels. An older Chevy (this one doesn't count), a 2007 f250 6.0L, it counts and once it hit 90K things got bad and could never recover. I purchased, one of the first ones released (I knew better to not be the first) an f250 2011 6.7L. Loved it till about 95k miles. For the next 30k miles I spent about $25,000 on the truck from hell and the manufacture that would never return my calls, emails or letters. At 140k miles the turbo went, sold for scrap. Pretty bad since I have owned 10-11 new Fords in my life time and the manufacture won't fess up to these issues.

Yes, the EPA crap sucks on all of them but some are worse than others. If Ford is so great with their Powerstroke why do they change the engine platform out every couple of years, not to mention their turbo manufactures and transmission. At least Chevy and Ram have stuck with a proven platform and work like hell to refine and not reinvent the wheel every time we turn around.

So, I bought a gas Ram last March. First Ram ever owned. Love the truck like none else, love the tranny and motor. Wish I could afford two trucks but after hauling all spring and summer I have to go back to a diesel. But this time it will be a Cummins.

Once diesel is in your blood, it's hard not to stay that way but never a V8 diesel again. Don't see too many semi truck diesels out there. Must be a good reason for that.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:22 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
All Powerstroke Owners Need To Watch This

All of the mods that the poster of the video mentioned in his "bullet proofing" are legal to the best of my knowledge.

At least in most all states, probably not California though.

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-20-2015, 04:04 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I have seen this video and am familiar with the guy.

Listen close, it is the funniest thing to hear after all the years of everyone bashing the 6.0......that he recommends you go out and buy one.

You came into out lives, we hated you and we wanted you dead. But now that you have left us, we want you back.

Long live the 6.0.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:20 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
The golden age of American diesel engines has past.
Interesting you say that. My father has been a diesel mechanic/ electrical guy for 52 years and has worked on marine, earth mover and truck diesels. He has said something similar about modern diesels. He tells me that the new diesels run better and still have the same principle benefit- high compression, no ignition and high torque; however, the running better part is dependent on highly sophisticated fuel delivery/engine management systems that are over the top on costs and serviceability. That is the "undependable" part. The older diesels were all mechanical except for the starter. Nothing phased them with electrical or management issues once they were started and, even that could be bypassed by pushing or cranking it manually if needed, with fuel it would start. The new ones will not. He said that some older diesels had major issues like the Cummins NT855 that their company had several blown engines based on the valve adjustment design that would impact the crank and literally blow the engine. It was a flaw design in the engine rocker valve screws that needed a lock so they would not back out. He said the engine was built for years the same way. Point is, old or new, bad engineering is not good no matter who makes it.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:04 PM   #36
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
He recommends a 6.0 that has been bullet-proofed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post

Listen close, it is the funniest thing to hear after all the years of everyone bashing the 6.0......that he recommends you go out and buy one.

You came into out lives, we hated you and we wanted you dead. But now that you have left us, we want you back.

Long live the 6.0.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:34 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
albuquerque , New Mexico
STRICTLY DEISEL, in Phoenix, can assist you with evading emissions.
splintair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:45 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post

Long live the 6.0.
I watched several of his videos when researching for a new truck. I decided it would be better for me to buy new since I'm a first time diesel owner. The main reasons I didn't even bother to test drive a Ford 6.7 was the outdated interior styling for the XLT (Lariat and above were over our budget) and the small fuel tank as I didn't want to purchase one with an 8' foot bed.

Too little choice in my area for Chevy/GMC Duramax and the wife didn't like the seat comfort on the LT we test drove.

We ended up with a 2015 Ram CTD Crew Cab Bighorn. Time will tell if this was a good decision.

Kelvin
Old 11-20-2015, 06:03 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
I'm just happy-02 Superduty s.c.s.b.-7.3 6 speed manual 4x4..fantastic fuel mileage atowing or not. Oil change with Motorcraft oil and filter about 60 dollars. It's what I can afford and it works well and is inexpensive to maintain and powerful. This guy sounds like he knows what he is talking about and I have heard from several good diesel guys that the 6.0 can be made into a good engine with the right modifications...and that the 6.4 is either alive or very dead. EPA requirements are a problem with today's diesels while seems the gas engines are getting better. If someone wants a diesel, every brand has their good years and their not so good years. An EDUCATED buyer is the best defense. As for me, I hope to run my dinosaur for a long time. It works.
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:48 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
More sales talk,I like my dodge,with the little cummins doin good , no more fords for me, except my modelA and T...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote