Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2008, 07:28 AM   #1
ME4US

2007 27' Classic FB
Bath , Maine
Airstream, is it a dream?

My wife and I have looking to purchase a 25 Safari SE either new or up to a few years old and in very good condition. I have spent a great deal of time on this site reviewing hundreds of postings complaining of poor quality, problems with construction and quality control issues. After all this information, I have begun to doubt the purchase itself. I thought that Airstream was top of the line and a great product. It is hard to understand the simple issues they seem to have failed to address.

How can a company with such a history allow this to happen and once it's aware allow it to continue? What if anything is Airstream doing to address these issues and customer complaints?

Should I go forward and if so, how do I insure that I don't get to spend our travel time in one repair problem after another?

The dealers seem to be a good group, but you can only do so much to fix the issues caused by poor quality production. Are these really issues or just a few perfectionists? Keep in mind that getting things fixed isn't the only issue. The lost time and cost to travel to a dealer are major time and cost factors.

Any suggestions? New or used? Airstream or something else? If something else what?

We really want to travel and have finally retired and are ready to go. I just don't look forward to an endless stream of problems to take the enjoyment out of our trips. We are planning to spend 100-150 nights on the road a year and having our new "home away from home" function properly is VERY important to us as if should be to all buyers.

This is a major part of our plans and we are trying to make the right selection. I don't want to sound over the top, but after reading hundreds of complaints concerns exist.

Any suggestions or help will be appreciated.

me4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:57 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' Bambi
Calhan , Colorado
Yes there are a few complaints even I have a couple on my brand new DWR 16' . I know for a fact that every other dealer out there has problems and some being quite more serious{axles coming loose ect} . Most of these problems discussed were visually apparent to begin with, so my point would be to look over your new potential purchase very carefully and if it didn't look quite right move on to the next one. Also the reputation of any given dealer would have allot of pull on my decision to purchase. All I am getting at is quality it seems in all industries have fallen in my perspective.
So what ever choice you make won't be 100% trouble free, unless your pretty laid back and tolerant individual, Good Luck I still think Airstreams are a wonderful product , a little over priced but most dealers will work with you as the the word is out the business is down about 30-40% this year, CC Just my newbie opinion.
Rancher5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
I think the majority of us have had no problems.

If a correct trailer were that rare I imagne you'd see posts like. 'my Airstream is fine. I guess I got lucky."

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:17 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
I understand your concerns, but keep in mind that much of the extra cost of an Airstream has less to do with quality as it does with the unique and expensive manufacturing process and materials. The reality is that there are other brands with just as high, and perhaps even higher, quality that can be purchased for 1/2 the cost. To me, Airstreams really only interest those who value their uniqueness in design and are willing to pay the price.

The one area that really does need addressing is the filiform corrosion issue. In this day and age it's surprising to me that this has not been solved.

That being said, we bought a used 2001 Safari that is virtually blemish free, and has no signs of aluminum corrosion other than on the hardware. Although we sacrificed getting the latest and greatest design (FB units), we saved a lot of money buying used and have never regretted our purchase.

Gary
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:17 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
We have had three different Airstreams in two years. The first was a 1999, the last two 2007s. All were/are of excellent quality.

The small problems (door not closing properly, light cover in bath falling down, and gas oven not lighting) we possibly could have fixed ourselves, but returned to JC and were all quickly fixed. We could have had the repairs done locally, but we kind of like to go to JC, plus have family in the area.

We like how an AS "feels". It is much more solid that an SOB. We like how it tows, how it is insulated, planned. We just like our AS and think there is nothing better to buy, otherwise we would have that brand.

We towed an AS over 20,000 miles last year, and other than an ac problem due to low voltage, (due to campgrounds, NOT AS) we had no problems.
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:19 AM   #6
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
I have had very few issues with my brand new 1989 and would not hesitate to take it anywhere...in fact we do.
Yes, we replaced a fridge last year (only 18 yrs old...and not a product of AirStream).
Are there a few with issues? Yes, like any manufactured product, they are susceptible to variations in quality. But the foundation is solid (aluminum construction, good axles, good engineering/design).
My personal opinion; the best years (good value, quality), if you want all the modern amenities (A/C, cable hookup, etc) are mid 80's until mid 90's.
Again, that is just my opinion.
If I were you, start with the classifieds here, talk to the Folks, and see what issues they have straightened out already and if there are any current issues that need to be addressed...MOST Folks are pretty honest.
Second option; buy new, run the heck out of it before you go full time, and plan on getting any issues fixed (under warranty) before you full...

We have had SOB's. There is no comparison. They fall apart after 7-8 yrs. Our AS is 20 yrs old. I am shooting for another 30....then we'll give it to our Son.
Go for it. The sense of community and support you get from all the great Folks here is worth the price of admission. You can take off to anywhere in the country (or world) and know there is someone who will come help you if you really need it...I really can't stress that enough. Many Folks have helped us and I try to repay that whenever I get the chance.
That is the "dream".

Bill
Old 06-25-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I agree with Bill. The best value is going to be in a late 80's to late 90's Airstream. You can buy a near Mint mid to late 90's 25' Classic for less than $20,000.00. and save yourself a lot of headaches and money. I had a 94 before my new Airstream and That being said I'm very happy with my 2007 25' Classic but if I had it to do over again...............?
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:08 AM   #8
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Wally is undoubtedly spinning in his grave over the quality issues.

Even the '80s and '90s vintage coaches have their share of problems; clearcoat peeling and headliner failures.

You have to decide whether silver is important enough to you to deal with the problems. I recognize that all RVs have their unique issues, but for me the cost/benefit ratio wasn't there any longer. I still love Airstreams, but after twenty years of Airstream ownership, we have moved on.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:37 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
My wife and I (newbies as of 2/29/08) looked at MANY trailers and couldn't find any quality of joinery work. Cabinetry to begin with was poorly put together (glue and staples) in many and we just knew they wouldn't last. Some were screwed and glued but the quality of work wasn't there. We finally started looking at AS - on the floor, at rallys and any other place they gathered. We were convinced that AS was the way to go. (Remember, some folks will complain and gripe with very little cause and some have had problems). We decided we would purchase new because of the 24 month guarantee. We liked the comfort of knowing the company (AS) and the sales company would be there for us. To date, having visited four of Ohio's State Parks and having spent over a dozen nights out and travelled close to 500 miles this spring, we've had ZERO problems. It has been a dream - everything we had hoped it would be. Do it....it is so much better than we had hoped it would be.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:52 AM   #10
ME4US

2007 27' Classic FB
Bath , Maine
Thanks for all your help. It seems that if we keep focused on the trip and not the little issues with the trailer, we will get traveling. Yes, we looked at many other trailers and yes they weren't up to the AS level. I guess I just want the best and to have a good time out on the road. This is a major investment and I'm trying to get a good value for our dollars.

Hope to see you all out there soon.
me4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:53 AM   #11
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Well, I'm almost the poster that can say our Airstream is fine. We had about 4-5 very small issues to deal with: tank monitor calibration, counter top edge coming un-glued, corner reflector fell off (double sided tape), small leak from shower door (caulk related), and one other small item that I don't recall. Now, I feel blessed that we had such a good experience with our Airstream. The items were few and minor.

Some have complained about big issues (at least in my mind) but it seems those were mostly during the International CCD first few years and seem to have disappeared. But my understanding is that the International CCD was so popular that the factory staff had to be increased (new employee learning curve) and the uniqueness of the CCD (new product line with different installation procedures) made for a long learning curve and some of that spilled over on the other two lines. But I think those issues have taken care of themselves for the most part. That isn't to say there are no issues, just that from what I have read the issues are much smaller and less severe.

There is a thread on the 2008 model quality that you should read. You might also read the one on the 2007's. Just remember, not every complaint on those threads came from '07 or '08 model owners but were owners with complaints from other years that were sharing their experience.

Would I buy another Airstream...yes I definitely would. Just do a good pre-purchase walk through and look at all of the aesthetic items closely. Look close at fit-n-finish, too. Remember, this is, for the most part, a hand assembled/hand built product so they will have some irregularities that you wouldn't find in a traditional assembly line product.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:58 AM   #12
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I bought an 05 Safari new off the dealer's lot. Most of the problems were minor and were in the appliances common to all RVs. The quality lapses in the trailer's construction are mostly cosmetic. The plumbing looks very nice, the electrical wiring less so. I think the trailer is aging very well-even with minor filiform corrosion its appearance is much better than similar aged standard RVs with their cracking decals and chalky exterior surfaces.

At any rate after the first year or so my trailer has been very reliable and has not needed a lot of repair. I do see areas which will need to be addressed such as the UV damage to the skylight. Any RV will need maintenance at a higher rate than a stick house (and definitely more than a modern car). It is a very good idea to keep tools and minor repair supplies in any RV.

If minimal maintenance is the number one concern, possibly a unit like a Bigfoot (all fiberglass construction) may be a better bet. It also may be a better bet for those frequently in sea air or other corrosive environments.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:18 AM   #13
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by me4us View Post
...Any suggestions? New or used? Airstream or something else? If something else what?...
asked and answered....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
hi me'

good questions...

i agree with cosmotini and this may not be the thread for answers to alot of tangentially related questions....

since it mostly is just the REPORTS of issues from a given model year.

the many other sides of "is it worth it', or 'compared to other brands' and so on, are covered elsewhere...

and there are other threads that deal with 'should i buy' 'new vs old' 'why a/s' or 'a/s vs other brands'...

and the philosophical side of rv, a/s and general build and Q issues...

so look around a bit for more reading material...

here are a few threads to chew, with links to even more...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f349...rse-39275.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f468...oid-40020.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f293...ity-27019.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...buy-31551.html

then there is the issue of buying new vs old to avoid issues...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...bad-21921.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...oid-36858.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f187...oid-31944.html

MOST importantly is HOW A/S handles or DOESN'T HANDLE build errors and poorly assembled units...

their behavior is sometimes totally unacceptable...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f335...ops-25290.html

also don't miss the threads on corrosion or safety in newer units...

so ready 'em and weep

cheers
2air'

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4us View Post
... really want to travel and have finally retired and are ready to go.
I just don't look forward to an endless stream of problems to take the enjoyment out of our trips....
NOW THIS is an entirely different issue....

u may not be cut out for rv travel and need to explore this issue more.

camping 150+ nights a year, there WILL be issues.

regardless of the space capsule.

rv'n folks, especially those that travel a LOT can't avoid issues.

MUCH of what defines a happy rv traveler is the ability to adapt and improvise when issues DO happen.

almost every day brings something, and the ability to embrace these unknowns, fix a few things on the fly...

and make changes to the rv for personal needs, helps to define an RV type person...

weather, roadway issues, flat tires, mechanical events, odd camp sites or odd camp hosts, connectivity issues, and so on...

in fact, the fit/finish isssues INSIDE the trailer are the least important of this long list (except rain leaks)

'streams travel/tow well and generally don't shake apart for a few decades....

BUT if you think the selection of ANY brand will dam the "endless stream of problems" u r mistaken....

in fact on some trips the "enjoyment" comes FROM fixing things!

so u might wanna FORGET about brands and fit/finish for awhile and explore the GREATER ISSUE...

r u cut out 4 rv'n?

rent a generic moho, go camping and DEAL with stuff....

if ya don't like it, save the 'stream money for other hobbies.

otoh IF u do like it, stop reading the forums and GO LOOK INSIDE 'streams...

new, old, used and so on to get a REAL FEEL for the product and issues...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:27 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
me4us; I too am in your position, looking at retirement and dreaming of an Airstream. I have spent almost three years in this forum seeking wisdom of Airstream ownership. I have also had an uncle who owned an AS. I have talked to many owners outside of this forum. He is my conclusion.

Airstream are like Harley Davidsons, you don't buy them because they are the best but for the exsperiance and uniqueness of ownership. They have that Classic American one of a kind attitude. And the people who buy Airstreams and own them for years are a bit... Different????? ( I think I might be different... but I need to ask a few more people who have opinions...HaHa)

There are many people who have very very serious complaints about their NEW Airstreams. They all leak....so do othe rv's...but AS seem to have way to many leaks. There are a few who don't seem to have many problems. But..........There are wayyyy too many problems for a coach in this price range and quality seems to be something that AS does not put first (at least in the actual construction).

They pull better than all other trailers because they have a lower and rounder profile and torsion bar suspension unique to AS.

Their cabinets fit and finish is average at best. Wireing is horrible....but so is most RV wireing. Plumbing is also an issue .. but that is true with other rv's for the most part.

I have a long time dealer friend who owns an RV dealership who Sells the Nations number one truck camper and has sold Airstreams in the past. He told me He would have an AS as his personal RV if HE was not in the Camper only business. He likes them but also told me they are not for everyone. He also told me don't exspect them to be less maintanance than other brands. Infact be prepared to spend more time on them than other RV's. He compared to them to campers He sells and told me the campers are far less likey to have issues. Far less likely to leak. And far less likely to have to return to the Dealer for repairs.

I talked with two retired couples who were previous owners of AS 30 foot Classics. They both bought identical AS at the same time to retire on....they now own Holiday Rambler motor homes. I ask why???? They flat told me they were tired of leaks...and spending so much at the dealer for repairs. They told me the Motor homes they bought after the AS were sold had fewer problems...and NOT leaks...they seemed to be real disgusted with the leaks in their AS's.

I think AS ownership is a clut like experience to some...they just have to be different. I want one...?... and I am not a joiner. I just want one. I would have one if it were not for my impending HIP surgery in two weeks. Then We shall see....if I can still afford one.

Finally....DO NOT go into Airstream ownership unless you truley love the brand. You will spend more time on it than you do careing for you house, car, and everything else you own. It a ownership of love...of the brand...and of being different.

BE SURE TO BUY A GOOD RIVIT GUN AND KNOW HOW TO USE IT....
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
West Chazy , New York
Well, my Airstream does not leak, nor does it have inferior construction, especially when compaired to other RV's. As a matther of fact, I have seen terrible construction issues with expensive 5th wheels as well as motorhomes. My observations are that you need to spend close to 400K for a quality MH. When I look at 80K 5th wheels and see staples attaching the corner mouldigs, I am thankfull that I own an Airstream!
WBCCI 2623
romap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by romap View Post
Well, my Airstream does not leak, nor does it have inferior construction, especially when compaired to other RV's. As a matther of fact, I have seen terrible construction issues with expensive 5th wheels as well as motorhomes. My observations are that you need to spend close to 400K for a quality MH. When I look at 80K 5th wheels and see staples attaching the corner mouldigs, I am thankfull that I own an Airstream!
I have been blessed with two relatively hassle free Airstreams. The only problem I had with our '06 was a slow drip in the water check valve, which was resolved by a 1/4 turn with a wrench.
As a testament to their quality, we purchased the '87 last October and all I have done to it was replace the ugly mauve carpet with a floating laminate floor and strip, polish and re-clearcoat the exterior. The cabinetry, plumbing, wiring, curtains, and interior upholstery is all original and should last another 20 years. The AC and refrigerator are two years old, and I may replace the water heater and furnace this year, just for more efficiency. But getting 20 plus years out of those components is pretty darned good. Plus most RV companies use the same AC, water heater, furnace, toilet, vent, and refrigerator manufacturers.

I always think this statistic sums things up; When Wally started the company there were over 400 travel trailer manufacturers. Of those 400, guess how many are left today...That's right, only one, and it is AirstreamSo they must be doing something right. Another sales statistic is that something like over 60% of all the Airstreams ever made are still on the road. How many SOB manufacturers can say that?

I will agree with 2air with regard to the fact that you had be better darned sure that the RV life is for you before you sink your hard earned dollars into any kind of trailer. And it doens't hurt to be a handy many and a tinkerer. That is why we spent the first year camping in an SOB before I sprung the idea of an Airstream...and then a second Airstream on my wife

So get out there and try camping and start looking at ALL the trailers you can. Looking was a lot of fun and I am still gawking. What next, maybe an Airstream 345 LE mobile home???.

Good luck and keep us posted and keep asking questions.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Airstream sales literature indicates that an A/S lasts about 40-years, and conventionally-built trailers about 15-years. I see nothing while "on the road" to contradict that, there are but few "old" SOB's as all-aluminum trailers keep on rolling.

I don't own an Airstream (though I'd be happy to), and I don't see owning this type of RV as being different than owning a boat, airplane, classic car, Harley or other. All of them need maintenance and repairs. I agree that A/S should be better when brand-new. That said, all these machines have a break-in period to the new owner, whether it is 26-weeks old or 26-years old.

Some problems are serious, but most are not . . with an attitude of accommodation. I have spent several nights at an RV repair shop in Dallas in 105F degree heat. And enjoyed getting to know the techs, the owner and and other customers. (And the yard dogs, with whom we played after hours in that industrial district; frisbee-fun). I learned more about my rig, about the business of RV service, and am better able to judge these things in the future.

Travel by hotel may be painless (not really, one is always aware of some shortcoming), but it is impersonal for the most part. At an RV park I can always find someone to help (or I can be of help; I've washed the RV's of disabled couples, and helped a college student get his back to par by the park rules), and this is our opportunity to share something. I would have missed out on some roads, restaurants with good parking and better food, etc.

My trailer is 25-years old and I guess I can go out there and list (again) what needs work. There's always something, but virtually none of it keeps me from going anywhere. When it does, I have to spend a little more time with it.

Were I retired, I'd just be glad not to have to maintain a house and yard anymore ('cause when I am ready to retire and travel 200-nights per year it will be from a place that needs next to nothing from me); for, much as I enjoy house and yard work -- and I do, greatly -- my energy would be on a new phase of life.

What am I supposed to do, watch TV? It'd be like insisting on frozen dinners because I don't want to cook, demanding something one of these rigs can't really deliver. None of them. It's a pleasure to do the little problem-solving.

The benefits of this type of trailer far outweigh any negatives. And this site is one of the best, if not the best, enthusiast sites I've seen. The level of detail about problems but more importantly, their solutions is outstanding. I wouldn't want to forget that part, as it is central. The forest is hidden when the spotlight is on some trees.

Hope to read about your travels.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I have an idea. Why don't U rent something(SOB) Try your hand at RV'n and see what your made of. Come visit Airstream in that rented RV (u can camp out back of the Service Dept for a small fee) Take the factory tour and See how they are made. Then continue on west and visit the Factorys of the SOB's (some other brands) and compare for your self.Then U use your own judgement.
Wife and I are both retired. We opted for our '77 because of its purchase price and its need only for a small amount of repair after 31 yrs. of service in which it was used without regard to any maintainance.
We are newbies also ,Purchased OCT 2007 without ever owning an RV.
Issues YES we have em. Overwhelming NOT AT ALL.
Best of luck to U Whatever U decide.
We Love our Airstream!
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
We have had our Airstream for three full years and are just starting our fourth camping season with it. We will spend our 100th night in it sometime this year.

As some others have mentioned, take a plant tour at Jackson Center and then tour some the NE Indiana RV trailer plants. The construction and build process is totally different.

We have had only minor issues with our '05 28' CCD and most of them were with installed components (common to all RV's) that were not functioning properly. No waterleaks, no corrosion,.......and absolutely no regrets with our purchase.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:55 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Smile

Hi,

The environmental conditions of anything that moves and is exposed to temperature extremes will certainly show some issues. That being said, as we have travelled in many states, we see many vintage Airstreams. The only other vintage trailers we see that are being used on the road are of similar construction such as Avions. We have an 86 MH. We took a vacation last year passing thru OHIO and "had" to stop at the Mothership. On our way out at 3:30 on a Friday (after hanging out for 3 days at the Terraport and having a blast), our transmission began leaking fluid as we exited the town. Two miles down the road we were stranded on the side of the road. Not knowing anyone, we called the factory we had just left. They enthusiastically came and helped us get off the road by bringing requested transmission fluid and then helped us fix the problem by running back and forth for a couple of hours for fluid, clamps, hoses, etc. We came back to the factory that night so we could get a start in daylight. Although it was quitting time, Airstream helped us out very enthusiastically. When we went to thank them, their response was, "If you ever buy another RV, we want it to be from us". I do think Airstream cares about quality and their customers. If you need a part for an old Airstream, they will give you part numbers and help you find the part if it can be found. To me, when people care about how a product works 20 years after they made their money, they certainly care about the new customers and products.

All that being said, I surf many camping websites. The extent of problems on other trailers and MHs appears to be much more extensive than Airstream. If I bought something new, I would buy Airstream without concern (other than trying to pick my favorite floorplan)!

Good luck in this truly life changing experience.
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote