Old 03-04-2003, 10:12 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
Reader's digest version of all this is simply to each his or her own.
Not when it comes to living in a society and your desires to do something foolhardy put others at risk. We have to travel the roads with candidates for the Darwin Award, not just in RVs, every day.

What amazes me is all the talk on other forums about how strict they're becoming in Canada with no-notice weight check points for RVs. Is this just a rumor, or do they wave you through if you have a Can-Am license plate frame?

Old 03-04-2003, 10:46 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Stopp'in power is where it's at`

Maurice,
I was happy to note that your daughter made it thru that accident without any serious injuries~
Not often is that the case. As we all know~!!
I've got to share this one personal experience.
We are know that aciddents are caused, for the most part, because someone isn't paying attention to the rapidly changing landscape. Rarely do accidents come about because of failed equiptment. I said rarely, meaning, not that it doesn't but..
Getting back to my original point.
Last summer, I was pulling my 29ft A/S down I-264, going into Virginia Beach, Va., when all of a sudden, the traffic came to a screeching, heart thumbing halt~!!
We've all known those situations, right?? In This case, I had, for a second, taken my mind off the task at hand. Daydreaming? No, I think it was multitasking too much, as I was driving by myself.
You and I know, those little cars can stop, nearly so, on a dime when compared to a huge mass like a Suburban, pulling a 29ft A/S.
This was one time when, having the proper equip setup, really paid off~!
On the Suburban, I have 8600GVW rated brakes on all 4 wheels, plus nearly new tyres which, are rated 'E'(245x75x16). I had just replaced the brakes on all 4 wheels of the A/S. The tires on the A/S are like new and, have an excellent tread surface depth~
In a flick of eye, this whole espiode unfolded, rubber was smoking and, the Burb & A/S were shaking from the hard braking~
I stopped just inches from the rear end of the car in front of me. You can imagine the look of those WIDE eyeballs, of the driver in front of me, when, she saw in her mirror, what had stopped just behind her~!!
I know she was frighten at the thought of what could've been.
(As I was)
Now..I'm going to go on record and, say this..ANYONE WHO advocate or promotes this silly notion that, it's just fine to haul something as huge as mass with a car or mini van is, just plain (------)!! You'll never have all the bases covered in all of the possible driving situations that going to confront you. PERIOD. I don't wanta hear what CAM-AM has to say anymore. Enough of that foolishness`!!
You don't have to own a Burb to haul an A/S safely. Look for a pickup truck or, 3500 rated van. Get the proper size engine, tranny, brakes, towing equip. etc.
If you're going to mix it up with the big boys, stop play acting, listen to the sound advices from those that have done it and, get your act together.
I want, for you and your family, only the best of experiences~!
ciao
edit~

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 03:05 PM   #59
Rivet Master

Lightbulb Maybe we can learn something too!!!

I spent last summer(May-Sept) in Revelstoke,BC Canada at a campground that was on the Trans-Canadian Hwy. I want to share the following differences that I saw between Americans and Canadians owners of travel trailers:

I saw alot of Canadians towing travel trailers with either a sedan or a mini-van. The were a few pickups trucks and most of those were 1/2 tons. All 5th wheel were towed with 3/4 to 1 ton pickups.

I spoke with many of them about their combos and they all said that they felt safe in both ascending and descending the Canadian Rockies. They felt that driving at a safe speed and proper maintance of both tow vehicle and trailer was very important.

I even saw a Windstar mini-van pulling a 34' A/S Limited over the mountains. I felt that this setup was way under the Windstar's cap, but the owner was very happy with the setup.

We America's have that Tim Taylor attiude, "More Power!!", "The Bigger the Better", "Prepare for ALL situations in life!" and we also live in more fear. Watch our local news and their always telling us that, "At 11:00, we'll show you how to protect yourself against......." daily. We have a different society than the rest of the world. We see things differently. I can understand some thinking that Can-Am & Wayne are crazy because we think and see towing a travel trailer differently.

Differently doesn't mean better, correct or right. It just means they do it differently. Maybe we need to explore these differences and see if there is something to learn? But calling someone crazy who's been doing this for many years, is not being very open to another way of trailering.

John
Old 03-04-2003, 05:30 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Stand Corrected~

John
You're right about the improper use of that term. As such, I've edited it out and, people can fill in the blank as they wish. lol
We're all here as friends and, to learn from each other.
My oldest son tried once..
"To convince me to walk on Red Hot Coals, just because he could do it.."
To date:
I've not burned the sole of my feet ~!
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 10:40 PM   #61

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
As a newbie who doesn't have a trailer yet, but is wondering what the heck I'm going to pull it with when I finally get one, this thread has been very interesting (along with the towing with a car thread). I still don't know what I will get ultimately, but I can tell you right now I WILL NOT be exceeding the vehicles stated towing capacity, whatever I get. That just doesn't seem like a smart idea to me. I'm waiting to see what size trailer I get, and then I can take into account the length, the weight, the tow vehicles wheelbase, etc. So, I just say that so you long-timers out there don't think that every newbie reading this is going to pull a 30+ trailer with a Windstar. Just because some people do it doesn't mean I want to. However, it's nice to know if I find a lightweight, small trailer, the Windstar has some towing capacity. I'll be considering it when the time comes.

However, an older gentleman who's a friend of mine has been advising me that I can pull whatever I get with my Bronco, because wheelbase doesn't matter. He knows this because he's been towing for years, and he says if I set the hitch up right, wheelbase doesn't matter. For proof he told me about the hitch company that hooked a trailer up to a car, took off the back wheels and drove across country. Convinced him. Just thought I'd let you know that old promotion was still stuck in the minds of some people all these years later, and they were still using it to give advice to newbies like me. If I didn't read this forum, I probably would have taken his word for it and given it a shot. And who knows, maybe it would work fine for years to come, or maybe it would be a horrible mistake. I'm just not willing to risk my families safety on experimenting with it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 10:57 AM   #62

Stephanie ,

You were the last poster here, so, this is for you and other who are willing to listen.
First point: remember that your tow vehicle can pull the trailer. But, make sure you will not have to replace your transmission every few years.
Most importantly: make sure you can stop.

I am not making this one up: we just had our first brake failure taking our new tailer home.
Not our fault this time.

The AS dealer spent a lot of time explaining everything to us. They "always make sure everything is safe before sending people on the road". (we even had a lesson on how to make popcorn in the microwave !!!!)

Hitch-up the trailer, check all the lights. Brakes, forward & back. Check our controller....
Everything is OK,........"you can home, now."

I kept a close eye on the trailer while Mike was driving. About 40 miles out of town, stop at the Welcome Center. Mike checked all the tires, the temperature of the hubs, the chains,..etc.... Everything's fine.
Drove 300 feet, left on the Interstate ramp: the trailer has no brakes. Looked behind: it has no lights !!!
Were we happy we decided to tow it home with the van instead of the Honda Civic or the Kia !!!!
After stopping safely, Mike found out that they sent us on the road with a mangled trailer plug clip. When he was checking things out, he must have slightly brushed the wire, and after 300 feet, we were disconnected. No lights, no brakes.
I kept my eyes pealed to the rear view mirror the rest of the way, but everything was fine.

My point is, if you will allow me to repeat myself:

This happened with a 8300 GVW trailer, towed at 25mph by a BIG 1 ton van. Everything turned out fine, but it could have been disastrous a few hundred feet further, on the Interstate.

Sorry to be beating that dead horse into a pancake, but if I can help save some green horn 's life, I can now die happy.

Chantal
Old 03-05-2003, 03:05 PM   #63

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Well, accidents do happen, and that's probably the whole point. Hopefully everyone will use their own best judgement, and the advice of those around them who know more and have more experience (including the people who make up the tow vehicle ratings), and everything will turn out ok. I'm narrowing my search down for a trailer now, and whatever I find, I will have a friend haul it home for me with his dodge 2500 which he tows his 30 ft SOB with, because I know none of the vehicles at my house (bronco, grand caravan, and two cars) are appropriate for moving a 4000+lb trailer. After three months of looking, I sure would hate to see my new-to-me Airstream not even make it home!

Don't worry, Femuse, I'm listening to ya'

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 07:01 PM   #64
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Unhappy here is another way to have no brakes

i was on my way to florida some years back and stopped for gas, while is was filling up out of the corner of my eye i saw some one cut between my truck and trailer.

they were too lazy to walk around my rig at the gas pump.

later when i got back on the freeway i noticed i had no running lights! i pulled over to discover my plug dragging on the ground!

all it took was some one too lazy to walk around my truck to bump my plug and dislodge it. no brakes no nothing!

the loss of of your trailer brakes can happen without your knowledge!

that is why i always run with lights on so i can look in the mirror and know that i am still plugged in!

i have a 3/4 ton truck with 4 wheel disc brakes. just in case!

john
Old 03-07-2003, 09:51 AM   #65
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
easy safety solution

While hauling a loaded horse trailer, I discovered that the 7-way plug had worked out of the truck receptacle. Therefore, no lights, no brakes. Yikes!! So I went to a hardware store and bought a package of plastic slide-type ties, like the type that bind, say, construction materials. The free end slides through an opening at the other end and little teeth hold the free end in place. If you pull it tight enough, the only way you can get it off is to cut it.

I then installed a tie on both the horse trailer and Airstream plugs through the holes on either side of the plug. I tightened up the tie sufficiently to make a snug fit over the tab on the truck's receptacle cover, but loose enough to be able to slide off manually. Voila! No more jiggled-loose trailer plugs. I keep the rest of the package of ties in the truck glovebox, but so far haven't had to use any more.

Next time I hitch up, I'll try to get a picture to illustrate.

Eugenie
Old 03-18-2003, 04:20 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
When I first opened this post, I saw the picture of the Intrepid and the 34 footer and thought it was just a joke - someone being funny. I can't believe that anyone could (or would) tow a 34 footer with a car or mini-van.

I have a Chevy 3/4 ton, stretch cab, 8 foot bed, 350 CID engine that I have tried to pull my 34 footer with and I am far from satisfied with the truck. The wheelbase is adequate, but the power is not even for little hills here in Mississippi.

I am truly amazed that the Canadians actually do this and it seems to work!!

I wonder if my 4 cylinder Mercedes 240D diesel (56 hp) would tow my 34 footer? I bet it could if I were in Canada!!!
Old 03-18-2003, 04:32 PM   #67
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Talk about the thread that won't die!

Eric
Old 03-18-2003, 05:31 PM   #68

I hope you were joking when you said "the Canadians actually do this and it seems to work!! "

I think things should be put back in perspective, and this thread should be moved to the "Comedy forum", if there was one.

I have not seen the video in question, and I have no interest in doing so. But, recently, I have read a lot about it in other forums. Here is a brief summary of people's opinions about this bad joke:

"the Hensley marketing video is a sorry piece of crap"

"If someone does purchase a rig like that based on one video, then that same person probably pours lighter fluid on the hood of their car and lights it to show how well their car wax works. "

"I think... people who'd tow grossly overloaded based on the HA video were probably headed for the Darwin Award anyway."

"I got the Hensley comedy video awhile ago. Unlike just about every commercial that has disclaimers on the screen, the Hensley video does not. And they go on saying things like it doesnt matter how you load your trailer, it doesnt matter what condition your axles and brakes are in, you dont have to worry. Its only going to be a matter of time before somebody tries what they say/show in the video, fails, and sues Hensley for every greedy penny they have, and wins. I laugh at the whole video"

"... people will try to sell the unsuspecting public swampland in Arizona....Hensely should be ashamed..... I found it just plain irresponsible.... they PREY on people with marginal tow vehicles and minimal towing experience."

"Some of the sales people are just plain ignorant and the rest are liars when it comes to the fact that they may lose a sale if they push people into the safety zone of truth. Most of the time, the truth costs more! "

"Thank goodness that most of us can see that for what it is, but the unfortunate truth is that there will be some people who watch the video and will try to pull big trailers with a too-small vehicle, all because Hensley made it look like that's what their hitch was designed to do!
"I personally don't want to be anywhere around the idiot who is trying to pull a 30 foot trailer with his midsized car because he saw a video that made it look OK to do so. "

"What? It's not a comedy sketch? You're kidding right?"

I just hope somebody with "marginal towing experience" does not start on this again, and stops midway, believing what he wants to believe.

You can check for yourself, in 2 of the numerous discussions on that idiotic subject:
http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/f...TID/126786.cfm
http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/f...TID/468392.cfm
Old 03-19-2003, 08:20 AM   #69
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
I hope you were joking when you said "the Canadians actually do this and it seems to work!! "

I guess I should have said "they seem to be getting away with it for now, anyways".

I just read some of the testimony of people who do this and it seems to work. Not safely mind you.

We just need to bring back the TOW DOLLY and we can tow mobile home sized rigs with little cars!!! (This was a joke)
Old 03-19-2003, 09:12 AM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Photo Contest!

Keep your cameras on the dashboard this year. Let's see who can snap a photo of the "Most unsafe or ridiculous towing combination" this year. Have your passenger man the camera, not the driver while driving! We don't want an unsafe driver taking a picture of an unsafe towing combination on the freeway at 70 MPH.

I wish I could have gotten a photo of that short bed Dodge pulling a fifth wheel camper down I90 this past summer. The truck looked like it was at a 30 degree angle, and the driver had to lean foward. It was quite a site!

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote