Old 02-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Salt Lake City , Utah
Wink Airstream girly needs help picking out a Van!

Hi Everyone!

Longstory short, I had a dream..I found the perfect airstream, converted a 85 Ford F250 to run on veggie oil..broke-up with boyfriend..he took truck.....went to Antarctica instead, decided to keep the dream alive, thanks to all my lovely airstreamers that gave me the spirit to keep the dream alive. I have a long road ahead am now embarking upon a new career as a professional dog walker.

I need your help and advice on what type of cargo van will be able to pull my 75 Overlander. I am still learning, and could use some help. I am currently ready to buy, but would like to be able to find a van that could run my business as well as pull the ol girl, as she has not seen action now for a few years. Any good advice on what I would need or should look for? Any favorites among Ford, Chevy, GMC ??

You guys always offer me such good advice, I look forward to your wise replies.

Thank you Thank you!

Lucy P

Old 02-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyPepper View Post
Hi Everyone!

Longstory short, I had a dream..I found the perfect airstream, converted a 85 Ford F250 to run on veggie oil..broke-up with boyfriend..he took truck.....went to Antarctica instead, decided to keep the dream alive, thanks to all my lovely airstreamers that gave me the spirit to keep the dream alive. I have a long road ahead am now embarking upon a new career as a professional dog walker.

I need your help and advice on what type of cargo van will be able to pull my 75 Overlander. I am still learning, and could use some help. I am currently ready to buy, but would like to be able to find a van that could run my business as well as pull the ol girl, as she has not seen action now for a few years. Any good advice on what I would need or should look for? Any favorites among Ford, Chevy, GMC ??

You guys always offer me such good advice, I look forward to your wise replies.

Thank you Thank you!

Lucy P
Lucy.

Part of the answer depends on how much your doggie stuff will weigh.

Do you want a regular or stretch version?

Andy

Old 02-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Campbell , California
Lucy,

I say go with a 70's custom van conversion with a cool airbrushed mural!!

RESPECT THE VAN!
YouTube - Honda Odyssey "Respect the Van" Commercial
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70s custom van.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	95939  
Old 02-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Lucy.

What brand you may select, since it sounds like extensive long haul traveling will not be your routine, depends on the local dealers reputation.

Some dealers offer a good deal, but when it comes to service, they turn their backs on the customers, especially ladies.

If you have the time, you might want to visit different brand dealers in your area.

You could then give them a look over, get a quote, maybe visit with some of their service customers, then check with the local Chamber of Commerce and/or the better Business Bureau.

A huge word of caution though. If the dealer suggests an "extended warranty policy" don't walk away, "RUN". That program is designed to increase the dealers profit margin, at the customers expense.

The extended warranties all "sound" good, but once you have a claim, you will verbally express some of those "bad words" that are not part of your normal everyday vocabulary.

Yes, once in a great while it works, "RARELY", but most always, the customer was taken for a sleigh ride, without the benefit of having snow on the ground.

Good luck with your search.

You could, if you wish, get some info, post it here and get more feedback.

Welcome to Airstreaming, and all it's pleasures, well, at least most of the time.

Have you had the trailer systems and maintenance items checked out yet, so that proper performance is assured, instead of aggravations?

Andy
Old 02-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The one-ton cargo vans from any maker would be fine.

The standard, rather than extended length, vans tow better because the extended length vans have (in most cases) a longer overhang from the rear axle to the hitch.

It is my experience that vans, as a rule, are more costly to maintain than pickup trucks of comparable age, capacity, and use history. There is less space in the engine compartment, and less airflow, and this leads to design compromises in service accessibility and component life, especially with heavy duty use.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Salt Lake City , Utah
Doggie weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Lucy.

Part of the answer depends on how much your doggie stuff will weigh.

Do you want a regular or stretch version?

Andy

I am estmating about 600 lbs. as a rough estimate in doggie weight and it sound like a regular sized van is better as far as towing. Hope that helps make a clearer picture.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyPepper View Post
I am estmating about 600 lbs. as a rough estimate in doggie weight and it sound like a regular sized van is better as far as towing. Hope that helps make a clearer picture.
Lucy.

Then a 3/4 ton version will be fine.

DO NOT have any form of overlaod springs or air lifts or air bags installed.

Then for excellent towing your 27 foot Airstream, you can use a Reese dual cam load equalizing hitch with 600 pound rated torsion bars.

Andy
Old 02-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
In the 90`s I was running 8 1 ton Dodge vans,it seemed as soon as the warranty was up,so was the transmissions,and air conditioners,I slowly got rid of the Dodges,and replaced with Ford.The only problems I`ve encountered was the AC`s leaking down of 134.I now have a 98 left with no problems.No more Dodges in my company. Dave
Old 02-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
have you considered a pickup/camper-top combo? I have one on an '01 Tundra and love it....the reduced weight to carry on tv is a real plus if you can live with the camper top...

fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, overlander, van, tow vehicles