Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Salt Lake City , Utah
Airstream break-up, keeping the dream alive

Hi everyone,

So, here is my dilemma. I purchased my lovely 75 Airstream Overlander last february, did some revamping on it with my boyfriend who bought a 1985 Ford F250 and converted it to run on grease. It was the perfect combo! We were set to travel for the whole summer plus some. So the sad news is that the planned got foiled and unfortunetly, we parted ways.

I still have the airstream which I am still very attached to, as you all know how that goes..So, I am looking for advice.

I no longer have a vehicle to tow the beauty, and have to make a decision whether or not it's a good idea to keep her. I would have to find another tow vehicle to purchase, and I don't know the first thing about backing up a trailer, so I would have some serious learning lessons ahead.

Do you think I should keep the dream alive? If so, what tow vehicle do you suggest for a chica on a budget?

Thank you in advance for your AS words of wisdom

Lucy P
LucyPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
KEEP IT!!! DONT GIVE IN or GIVE UP!! Backing a trailer is not difficult, just go slow. Hold the steering wheel at the bottom with one hand, Which way you need the BACK of the trailer to go just move your hand IN THAT DIRECTION. If you get in trouble just pull straight forward and try it again. There are many Ladies here that do it all by their self and you can too! If you post what size your trailer is people here will be helpfull in picking a Tow Vehicle for you ( the ford seems to big any way((my opinion) Good luck , Mike
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
The worst vice is advice.

Over the years, my daughters have asked for advice. I try to go easy on the fatherly "wisdom" and ask (repeatedly), "What is it, in your heart, that you really want to do." If towing the Airstream around is your dream... it belongs to you, not the guy who left. How you get on the road (and back up) are just minor details. Good luck.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Thumbs up

Go with your gut. If you're attached to it, keep it. A reasonablly priced tow vehicle (TV) is usually easier to come by than a good trailer.

Best of Luck,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
boyfriends are easily replaced, trailers are not and they last longer too!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
My 2 cents: If you want to keep the Airstream Dream alive keep your trailer...trucks and boyfriends are easier to come by than a special. You can learn the tricks of towing.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post

Over the years, my daughters have asked for advice. I try to go easy on the fatherly "wisdom" and ask (repeatedly), "What is it, in your heart, that you really want to do." If towing the Airstream around is your dream... it belongs to you, not the guy who left. How you get on the road (and back up) are just minor details. Good luck.

This is a wise man. Listen to him and go with your heart. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Keep it! Set a goal to get a tow vehicle. Read airstream forums and ask around about a tow vehicle. Find out the weight you are going to be pulling and visit a business that sells trailers and ask them what you could use to pull that weight.

You have to ask your self what can I afford and how long will it take for me to aquire a tow vehicle. You should be able to pick up a good truck for a good price. It might not be the most charming looking vehicle and it may lack certain comforts, but if it has heat, air and a radio you are doing good. Just make sure it has the correct size engine and tow package.

you might find somebody in this forum who will sell you a tow vehicle they are getting rid of for a good price. Keep the airstream! As it sits keep fixing her up and making her better. Get her ready for your future camping.

Lothlorian
Old 06-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
You talked about the F250 grease vehicle. Are you talking about running a truck on vegetable oil? I have seen them before and they work great. I would not worry about a grease vehicle at this time. Just find a good gas or diesel truck. You can convert back to grease in the future.

Lothlorian
Old 06-22-2009, 02:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
y wife Sam has been driving horse trailers, boat trailers and travel trailers for years. She makes annual trips from NY to Montana. And yes, she has had to back up. You can do it with a little practice. If backing up is the only problem, you'll get through that in no time.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:37 PM   #11

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...

Gee...My sense of self worth is fading fast. I hope my girlfriend doesn't read this and get any ideas.

"boyfriends are easily replaced, trailers are not and they last longer too!"

"My 2 cents: If you want to keep the Airstream Dream alive keep your trailer...trucks and boyfriends are easier to come by than a special. You can learn the tricks of towing."

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
When my husband and I travel I drive, and do all the backing so it can be done.....Actually airstreams are the easyest trailer to back, I think.
They are every responsive and r very forgiving..Find a field set up a couple of cones and practice..U don need no stinkin gringo to take u places......U can do this girl!
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
I LIKE THIS ADVISE....Very wize

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
The worst vice is advice.

76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:08 PM   #14
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
If you love it, keep it, all the rest is details.

I bought my trailer and pulled out of the dealer having never towed anything as big or heavy or expensive and didn't have a clue about backing up. I got a truck driver friend to back her into my driveway when I got home. On the first outing I found a big empty parking lot and practised and practised and practised - for about three hours - then I came home and put her in the driveway myself - slowly and carefully - but I did it. When you back up stop when you are not sure and get out and walk back and look and you can figure it out. Just take your time, and don't let anybody rattle you or give you too many directions which can be very disconcerting.

As for a tow vehicle - how long is your trailer and how much does it weigh? Get a TV that's rated for at least 20% more than the weight of your trailer (including full tanks and all your stuff) and more is better in terms of towing capacity. You need one with a factory towing package - which saves wear and tear on the transmission. As to gas or diesel it's a personal preference - mine is gas - I hate the noise of a diesel - but everybody's got their druthers. You also need a brake controller and a weight distribution hitch which will control sway. That's it - and you are good to go.

It's not rocket science - I didn't have a clue about any of this when I decided I wanted a trailer - but I learned because I needed to - and you will too. There's lots of help here - ask away - and let us know how it goes.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Listen to your heart...
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
I'm sorry to hear about your breakup.
Just find RV parks that have pull throughs until you learn to back it up.
The tow vehicle is another story, first the cost to buy one, then the cost to maintain it. But this is your dream, you can make it happen!

Another Option:
Single female, loves outdoors, traveling, and shiny things. Looking for single male with same interests.
Must have truck. ( =
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
singles chat tonight!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Lucy,

I agree, go with your gut. There are many ladies out there who pull their own trailers and do it well. You can do this. Practice makes perfect.
There's a whole new world out there waiting for you. Go see it.

Marie
Old 06-22-2009, 05:30 PM   #19
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The way to learn to back up or just tow is to do it. Like pudentane, I pulled out of the dealer not having towed anything so big or heavy, and had to tow or abandon it right there.

Post #2 tells how to back—if you want the trailer to go left, turn the wheel to the left with your hand on the bottom of the wheel. Takes a little getting used to, but we all have to learn. Do it slow, or slower, and take your time. When you back into a spot ignore the people watching—they had to learn too. I had to back into this really hard space in Minnesota a month ago and after I thought I made a total mess of it, I finally got it more or less where I wanted it, got out and a woman who was watching said, "you did a lot better than my husband did". I love when they flirt with me like that!

My wife and I split the towing, though I she wants me to do all the backing. I have no doubt she can do it, but she's got me and it makes me feel indispensable.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Had an AS when I showed dogs all over the country. Never did learn to back the thing worth a flip, but there was always a way to get out forward or find someone who could back it for you. I had so much fun and the backing thing wasn't really a problem. Plan when you camp and ask for help. Get a good truck, I pull my 24ft Argosy with a Tundra V8, 4.7L with no problems. No water on board just remember to pull the trailer dry and shop for groceries after to get to your destination. Have a great summer.