Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2009, 07:56 PM   #41
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Lucy,

Everyone makes mistakes. There's a thread from last year where we confessed and found out many others had done the same things. Some back into trees, but I haven't done that yet. We all survived.

I can't answer your questions about debt or quitting your job. Always good to be debt free, depends on how much debt, how bad the boss is. A really bad boss can be so emotionally crippling the job isn't worth it, but poverty isn't so good either. Conventional wisdom is to find another job first, but that may not be what is best for you. If it takes a few years for you to get out of debt as it seems you said, you either have a mountain of debt or a low income, or maybe both. That's a tough place to be. Is there a way to negotiate with your creditors to reduce debt? Avoid those debt reduction companies, they are often rip offs, especially if they want you to pay them a lot of money. There are some reputable nonprofits though.

A recent break up can be so emotionally unsettling you may make a poor decision, but I don't know how the break up has gone and how you are healing. So, lots to think about and I hope you have close friends who are supportive about what you do even if they don't understand why you want the trailer. Good friends are supportive even if you do the opposite of what they want you to do.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:25 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Crosby , Texas
This is a no brainer. Keep the Airstream. My wife drove our 3000 mile trip last summer. I had knee replacement and could not drive. She can put that trailer any where she wants it and not put a mark on it. We pull with a Chevy 2500 pick up with the Duramax engine and the allinson tramsmission. Love it. We get 12 to 13 miles per gallon and never weary about running out of power and we can run at any speed that we want. I pick fuel over gas. I have done the number no fuel vs gas and the increase in fuel milage with diesel even when diesel was higher than gas you will still come out ahead with diesel plus the increase in pulling power diesel makes it a better buy. The main thing is to have fun. Happy Trails.
dghaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:51 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Lucy:

Personally I'm impressed with all the suggestions and advice you are getting from these people. Wow! It is obvious that these are some wonderful people responding to your post. There is much wisdom and I have enjoyed reading their suggestions. These people do care.

It sounds like the airstream is a goal of yours. Goals are what help define us and move us forward in life. I have my next important goal in picture form as my back drop on my computer. When I have a challenging day which may create negative thoughts The computer back drop always catches me off guard and puts me back on track. This makes all those challenges worth it. It makes the job go better and helps me to plan for the future by giving me direction. The goal will lead you to new friends, jobs and adventures. It will help define you as a person. It will stengthen you and motivate you. Keep the airstream goal and listen to these wonderful airstreamers.

Brian
Old 06-25-2009, 06:40 AM   #44
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyPepper View Post

A) Work my booty off in a job with a boss from hell and get out of debt in a few years and start again at square 1

or

B) Save enough money to tide me over for a while so that I can quit my job and travel in the airstream and see the rest of the worlds here in the states I have been dying to get out in..and buy myself some time to figure out my next plan..how to full time on the road in the AS.
In this economy a job seems to be a luxury item. My advice would be to keep the job unless you have a better one lined up before leaving the current one, even if the boss is a major PITA (pain in the....). Many bosses can be and the grass is always greener on the other side...till you get there.

Save a bunch of cash, pay off debt, then move onto what suits you. I would imagine in SLC, UT there are ample inexpensive places to store the trailer until you can get a proper tow vehicle and if you can't get it there, I am sure there are some local forum members that could help you move it.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:19 AM   #45
Rivet Master

I think you need time to think, and heal.

1) Keep the job for as long as you can stand it. Know that it is temporary.

2) Search for a new job.

3) Spend as little as you can, pay off debt

4) Save some money for a dream that will come your way.

5) Keep busy, have fun

6) Plan a trip in your Airstream
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:12 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
Lucy, one suggestion you ought to consider, since your'e already thinking of full timing it in the AS is move out of your apt. and full time in the AS somewhere in your city now. That would save some $$ and help you get out of debt.
If you find such a place to park your AS and live in it, let us know. My guess is there are any number of folks in your area who would be more than happy to tow your AS for you to its new home for you to set up housekeeping.
Next, endure the Boss from Hell. Having had such, and been unemployed, it is always easier to find a job when you have one. Plus, in this economy, having a job is a definite plus! Just remember, short term pain for long term gain. You'll not stay at that job forever, even if it feels like it.
Good luck and hang in there, dreams do come true!
StevenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:15 AM   #47
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Good advice Dave.

In general I've found that making any big life changes in response to some major bump in the road is dicey. They tell folks who have had a loved one die, recently quit drinking, are just out of rehab, etc to keep their heads down and stay in a holding pattern for a while. No radical changes.

Holding on to a dream is like your own personal motivator - I figure the Mona Lisa had one and that was the reason for the wry little look she had.

Keep your eyes open and put one foot in front of the other. Amazing things will happen when you least expect them.

Also consider an older van as a tow vehicle - some of the bigger ones are built on truck chassis and have big engines. They tend to be cheaper as well.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I know Im 4 pages down but just my 2 cents Lucy. I'm with the majority here,I think. KEEP THE STREAM. Boyfriends are just like city buses "THERE will be another along in a few minutes" As for tow vechiles,they are a dime a dozen in todays market.
As for backin up DONT WORRY ABOUT IT. I backed up as much as I been forward I think. 45 yrs in a big truck will do that to ya.
Go for your dream,don't be kickin you butt 20 yrs down the road Wishin U had done that. Do it now.
GOOD LUCK with whatever you deciede.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:38 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
When I was a school boy, I did sports, drama, pretty much everything. The kids who picked up jobs were buying stereos, LPs, stuff. I remember telling my grandfather that maybe I should quit all the extracurricular stuff so I get a paying job. (The work I did for my father's logging business was for, in my father's words, "room and board.") My grandfather said, "Son, you got the rest of your life to work."

Damn if he wasn't right.

I have held a paying job since my first year of college. I ran out of money and needed the service and the G.I. Bill to finish my degree. I worked full time through the second half of college and graduate school. In point of fact, I have worked my entire adult life. The "hiatus" my wife and I plan to take in 2011 will be the first time I stopped working for anything but the standard American vacation.

This is not the best idea financially... not nearly as cost-effective as working myself into the grave, but it is what we want to do. My grandfather died in his mid-50s, not long after he made his observation about work. There's no assurance I'll live to 60 or 70 or longer. I'm not inclined to be reckless, but I'm also not inclined to wait until I'm totally gray to bite at the apple.

Your mileage may vary.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I would keep it, if storage isnt a problem. I have seen them used as yard ornaments, or living quarters. Put it in the back yard, set it up like a campsite, you can go out sit under the canopy and read. You can even use it as a guest house. ala this until you get a new tow vehicle.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:38 AM   #51
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fulltimer, so...wherever road takes us! , On the road!
Lucy, you're better off without him now than later. Trust me! But even dumping a bad relationship "later" is unbelievably wonderful!!! Trust me! Now that you know MY story, I will be an AS fulltimer on a 27fb. Since all of you are so helpful...can I tow this rig with a Dodge Magnum SRT8 wagon with a 6.1L engine? My current car is a mercedes e350 wagon and I don't think this will do the trick. I am a cheerfully single lady with 2 small dogs, kids and friends all over the country. Need TV advice...fast! Thanks so much! (Lucy...chin up!)
MissDaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:27 AM   #52
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
I'm in the same boat....or stream...

As you can see by my avatar, I have a trailer and a question mark where the truck is since my BF and I split up in January. I am absolutely NOT going to give up the dream. I go out and stand in my Airstream every morning and imagine going some where in her. I found a picture of a truck I'd like to have and have it hanging above my desk, imagining that some day it, or a reasonable facsimile will be mine. I do NOT imagine a BF.

When former BF and I traveled I drove a lot so I am comfortable towing, altho' I suck at backing I'm sure I'll figure that part out when the day comes that I have my own TV. So, Lucy, maybe we should start a club of women sans tow vehicles.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:34 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Posting the picture of your dream truck is one step to achieving your dream. I am going to give you a suggestion that worked for me. Write down six very important goals that you wish to achieve in your life and look at them every six week. Make small changes if you need to but keep looking at them and they will come true.

If you have friends who have a truck you might want to invite them camping. You supply the camper and they supply the truck. What ever you do don't let them take the camper unless you are with them.

Brian
Old 08-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #54
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
can I tow this rig with a Dodge Magnum SRT8 wagon with a 6.1L engine? My current car is a mercedes e350 wagon and I don't think this will do the trick.

I'd love to have a Magnum to tow with. But the 6.1L engine is tuned too hot for towing. You'd want the 5.7L. Do a search around here on the 300/Charger/Magnum as well as posts by Road Ruler and AndyT.

To the OP. You'll get older, there are always bills to pay and the health and energy can fade. I've been in debt and out. Time to travel has little to do with either, it has more to do -- in my case -- with obligations of restoring a house or the exigencies of work. Children, relatives, parents can take away that precious time. "Things" shouldn't keep you in place, only people.

We fulltimed 7-mos in 2007. I've been wanting to travel the AL-CAN since the 1960's. Since I can't leave this year, or next (probably) I'm reading, making notes and planning what to do with the next trailer. I've tried to make all experience count.

Read, read, read. Toss the TV. Join Escapees. Find out the "hook" that'll keep you going.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:47 PM   #55
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
HUNSTVILLE , Texas
Lucy P,

Sounds like all you need is a good tow vehicle. KEEP THE AIRSTREAM!!! Consider yourself one of the LUCKY ones!!!!

"all journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware"
Old 08-07-2009, 10:30 PM   #56
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up You can tow it--

Hang in there!

Be nice to yourself cause only you know for sure what you are going through!!

Good luck with your decisions!!
Old 08-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Salt Lake City , Utah
Wink Still hangin on! A note from Lucy in Chile

Hi Everyone,

It's Lucy! I am so thrilled this post has continued to help other women who happen to find themselves in the same lovely predicament. I have decided to keep the airstream, but as life goes, I am thrown new little kinks, the newest, my lock has decided to fail and I cannot open it from the outside or inside. I am sure through the wonderful world of the forums, I will figure it all out, hopefully won't have to replace the whole thing as I hear it's an expensive one! The forums have been a lifesaver, and although this is the first airstream I have ever owned, it is by far worth every penny because of the supportive community I have felt myself embraced by.

I am currently at a little resort in the Andes called Portillo trying to sort out what's next and create a new plan for myself. The turn my life has taken since a year ago, has caught me in a trance as I never imagined. The airstream is resting in Salt Lake City in some wonderful friends backyard.I printed a copy of all of the advice and motivation everyone gave, and when I feel a little negative and weighed down by my options, I just take a peek at the wonderful words of wisdom from true airsteamers that "just seem to understand" without explaining the dream of the road.

Thank you again my lovely AS friends, wish I could sit down with each of you over tapas or tea and pick your brains about the incredible roads you have found yourselves down following your most intense desires and dreams.

Thanks for the hope and never letting go.

Lucy P
LucyPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:58 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
North Bend , Oregon
Send a message via ICQ to tbro Send a message via MSN to tbro Send a message via Yahoo to tbro
Half my life is books, written pages
Live and learn from fools and from sages
You know it's true
All the things come back to you

Dream on, dream until your dreams come true
Dream on, dream until your dream comes through...

Steven Tyler (with a few minor changes by mice elf)

t.

My Web Workings
tbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:46 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyPepper View Post
Hi Everyone,
It's Lucy! I am so thrilled this post has continued to help other women who happen to find themselves in the same lovely predicament. I have decided to keep the airstream, but as life goes, I am thrown new little kinks, the newest, my lock has decided to fail and I cannot open it from the outside or inside. I am sure through the wonderful world of the forums, I will figure it all out, hopefully won't have to replace the whole thing as I hear it's an expensive one! The forums have been a lifesaver, and although this is the first airstream I have ever owned, it is by far worth every penny because of the supportive community I have felt myself embraced by. I am currently at a little resort in the Andes called Portillo trying to sort out what's next and create a new plan for myself. The turn my life has taken since a year ago, has caught me in a trance as I never imagined. The airstream is resting in Salt Lake City in some wonderful friends backyard.I printed a copy of all of the advice and motivation everyone gave, and when I feel a little negative and weighed down by my options, I just take a peek at the wonderful words of wisdom from true airsteamers that "just seem to understand" without explaining the dream of the road. Thank you again my lovely AS friends, wish I could sit down with each of you over tapas or tea and pick your brains about the incredible roads you have found yourselves down following your most intense desires and dreams.
Thanks for the hope and never letting go.
Lucy P
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XX
Lucy you are welcome, I hoped that you would make this very decision and not abandon the dream. Life is always going to create setbacks how you handle them is what makes life interesting and keeping something that makes you happy helps to deal with lifes setbacks.
As far as the lock dont sweat it, the lock cylander can be changed very easily with a drill and new lock cylander, there are directions on this site how to, look in your trailer book it also tells how to change it. If you do not have the books I bet someone on here does have the same trailer you do and do have the books and can give you the directions from it, then if you can not or you dont know someone who is able to make the change just take the lock & directions to a locksmith, they usually charge very little.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:01 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Speaking of dreams, I'd love to do a few tele turns in Portillo!
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote