Winston Salem , North Carolina
Listen to your heart...

Winston Salem, NC
WBCCI 5218,
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
I'm sorry to hear about your breakup.
Just find RV parks that have pull throughs until you learn to back it up.
The tow vehicle is another story, first the cost to buy one, then the cost to maintain it. But this is your dream, you can make it happen!

Another Option:
Single female, loves outdoors, traveling, and shiny things. Looking for single male with same interests.
Must have truck. ( =

ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
singles chat tonight!
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina

I agree, go with your gut. There are many ladies out there who pull their own trailers and do it well. You can do this. Practice makes perfect.
There's a whole new world out there waiting for you. Go see it.

When people lie to you, and refuse to honor their word, don't regret trying to follow a dream, new adventures and friends await you.
sd90mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The way to learn to back up or just tow is to do it. Like pudentane, I pulled out of the dealer not having towed anything so big or heavy, and had to tow or abandon it right there.

Post #2 tells how to back—if you want the trailer to go left, turn the wheel to the left with your hand on the bottom of the wheel. Takes a little getting used to, but we all have to learn. Do it slow, or slower, and take your time. When you back into a spot ignore the people watching—they had to learn too. I had to back into this really hard space in Minnesota a month ago and after I thought I made a total mess of it, I finally got it more or less where I wanted it, got out and a woman who was watching said, "you did a lot better than my husband did". I love when they flirt with me like that!

My wife and I split the towing, though I she wants me to do all the backing. I have no doubt she can do it, but she's got me and it makes me feel indispensable.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Had an AS when I showed dogs all over the country. Never did learn to back the thing worth a flip, but there was always a way to get out forward or find someone who could back it for you. I had so much fun and the backing thing wasn't really a problem. Plan when you camp and ask for help. Get a good truck, I pull my 24ft Argosy with a Tundra V8, 4.7L with no problems. No water on board just remember to pull the trailer dry and shop for groceries after to get to your destination. Have a great summer.
Judy At Home in Oklahoma
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Keep your dream alive! We both drive and tow, and we can both hitch up the trailer - even by ourselves when we have to! I do almost all of the backing. Kay is very capable of doing it - she just prefers not to. As mentioned, there are lots of pull though sites you can use, and the best way to learn backing is to practice. You've received lots of good advice, but advice is just that. Up to you to decide. But I think if you asked for a vote, the overwhelming majority would say to keep the Airstream!

Best of luck!

Chris and Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master
1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Originally Posted by LucyPepper View Post
Hi everyone,
So, here is my dilemma. I purchased my lovely 75 Airstream Overlander last february, did some revamping on it with my boyfriend who bought a 1985 Ford F250 and converted it to run on grease. It was the perfect combo! We were set to travel for the whole summer plus some. So the sad news is that the planned got foiled and unfortunetly, we parted ways. I still have the airstream which I am still very attached to, as you all know how that goes..So, I am looking for advice.
I no longer have a vehicle to tow the beauty, and have to make a decision whether or not it's a good idea to keep her. I would have to find another tow vehicle to purchase, and I don't know the first thing about backing up a trailer, so I would have some serious learning lessons ahead.
Do you think I should keep the dream alive? If so, what tow vehicle do you suggest for a chica on a budget?
Thank you in advance for your AS words of wisdom
Lucy P
Lucy, Keep the trailer, you have already done all the work, its your dream and you should never give up on a dream because of an inconvience. You can learn to handle this trailer just as good as anyone else all it takes is practice.
After my 22 years in trucking and I have driven, hauled, just about everything there is from small to large, was an instructor, so here is my advice.
First is we would all need to know what size trailer you have to know what vehicle to advise you to get, in general 25 foot and under you could do it with a 1/2 ton Pickup that is set up for towing the newer the better off you will be and the less you will have to spend on extras. Over 25 foot I would suggest a 3/4 ton. Either case get a Crew Cab (4 door) with a 6 1/2 foot bed. You will need a sway bar hitch setup I would strongly suggest you get a Hensly Hitch if at all possible because it is the best on the market.
Now that you got your tow vehicle find a mall and find out when the parking lot is the most empty go to it and practice first going forward, turning both directions once you are comfortable then try some backing up first in general just to get use to it, then try backing it into some parking places, then backing into the parking places by staying between the lines. If you can find cones this is a help.
Remember this saying GOALS= Get Out And Look Stupid
for one who thinks they are too good to do so is the very one that is going to tear up something. I have it imprinted on my mirrors at the bottom edge.
After a few days of practice you will be ok, another thing dont be afraid to ask someone to help as a spotter for ya either. You may have a bunch of joksters around but for every 5 there will be at least 1 that will help.

P.S. boyfreinds, girlfriends, husbands, wives, may come and go but the AS and the memories will always be there.
I also have a 2007 GMC Sierra that can handle anything under 28 foot for sale take over loan.
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:03 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member
1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
I'll not repeat the encouragement you've already received. Just to add my 2 cents though, if you purchase carefully, your tow vehicle can also be your everyday vehicle, as mine is. Good luck!
StevenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:46 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member
2013 30' International
lubbock , Texas
Anything I can do you can do better...

There are plenty of duma s s men who handle this everyday...keep the trailer and find a tow vehicle...its worth every minute of time....
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:02 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Airstream break-up, keeping the dream alive

Greetings Lucy P!

If you don't mind being apart from the crowd, you might consider an older GM full-size sedan or wagon for towing duties. It is still possible to find one of these cars that is in good condition for a very reasonable price. The cars that I am referring to would include:
  • 1993--1996 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance with LT 1 -- 5.7 Liter V8 and the options indicated in the post at this link.
  • 1993-1996 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Station Wagon with 5.7 Liter V8 and the trailer towing package.
  • 1993-1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate Station Wagon with LT1 -- 5.7 Liter V8.
The Oldsmobile and Buick would be the less desirable of the three given the weight of your coach. The Cadillac, however, has a 7,000 pound trailer tow rating with the correct equipment. When I purchased my new tow vehicle in 1998 the Suburban was the best compromise between car and truck -- I would have preferred a car, but none of the new cars by that time had much if any trailer towing capacity.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:38 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Lonely forever?

Hi, there are a lot of fish in the ocean and many of them have trucks. Find a new boy friend.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:45 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Backing vs. Forward

You don't have to be good enough for a reverse obstacle course...just functional in the backing department. I do all the driving and backing because she's scared to, once she drove for about 3 hours on the interstate out in New Mexico and exclaimed, "well I don't know what I was worried about!!!" I always offer and encourage her to drive, but so far the answer has been no. So as far as I can tell you are miles ahead if you don't mind the driving part, just plan your escape route and you might not have to do a lot of backing. FYI...I once wheeled around the back of a CVS drugstore and realized there was no lane other than the two drive throughs. With a little backing and checking of roof clearances I just drove right through the drug pickup lane. (I don't recommend this) You should have seen the faces of the staff smeared against that store window as I went by without a scratch!! That's where the escape route plan comes in, so don't go around that building blind because there may not be an easy way out. Keep the trailer!!! Learn to Back!!! Have Fun!!!
Alice&Billis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:47 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
The worst vice is advice.

Over the years, my daughters have asked for advice. I try to go easy on the fatherly "wisdom" and ask (repeatedly), "What is it, in your heart, that you really want to do." If towing the Airstream around is your dream... it belongs to you, not the guy who left. How you get on the road (and back up) are just minor details. Good luck.
Great advice. I don't remember our son and daughter asking my advice but I gave it anyway. They are in their 30's now and turned out pretty good so my advice to you is GO with your dream. The challenges are worth the pursuit.

Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote