Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2007, 11:50 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Santa Ana , California
Airbags to Timbren

Some time ago I put some airbags in my '03 Suburban '1500 (rear coil springs) to help with heavy loads. Since this was pre-AS, I actually did it because I bottomed out on bump stops one time when I loaded up with friends and gear.

They work quite well when loaded and really help with sagging while towing the AS.

The problem with these are that 95% of the time, when you're not loaded, your ride is crap, as you minimally must keep 5psi in the bags. I know 5psi doesn't sound like much, but it feels much like an unloaded 2500 pick/up now.

I've been researching other solutions. I was really looking for a solution that removed the coil spring completely and replaced with an airbag as I'm sure that would handle the rough ride when empty, but have had no luck. (and would still prefer this option )

In my research I found this company, Timbren. This company uses a progressive sort of bump stop that supposidly doesn't activate until your loaded up. Haven't been able to get a price yet but they seem that they would be quite inexpensive.

Will try them shortly if I don't hear anything too negative here, or don't find an airbag replacement for the coil.

Thanks for all suggestions.
"Life is like a box of chocolates..." Forrest Gump
Killo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:15 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Santa Ana , California
Looks like I'm getting snubbed.

O well.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:18 PM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
no your not getting snubbed!

timbrens are a good idea, there are alot of folks who plow snow install them on the front end of late model chevys.

go look for a snow plowing forum and search timbrens and see what you find.

i have heard nothing but good about them.

however, i would think that a weight distributing hitch properly set up would preclude the need for them.

a normal suburban with a weight distributing hitch should be able to pull just about any airstream except a 34.

john
Old 04-03-2007, 06:37 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
I have tried to compare airbags to the Timbren bumpers. I have heard good things about both. You can use the airbags to level the truck, the Timbrens can't. The Timbrens can never"blow out". I hope people that have used both will jump in here.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:28 PM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote: " They work quite well when loaded and really help with sagging while towing the AS."

I have Firestone airbags installed on the rear axle of my truck. Mine stay at 5 PSI per specs when not in use. I have them fully deflated when towing. If I inflated them it messes with the WD and Anti Sway.The TRUCK already rode stiff. It is a truck. It rides much better loaded and towing.

If you want to get these things be careful when towing.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:50 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Santa Ana , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Quote: " They work quite well when loaded and really help with sagging while towing the AS."

I have Firestone airbags installed on the rear axle of my truck. Mine stay at 5 PSI per specs when not in use. I have them fully deflated when towing. If I inflated them it messes with the WD and Anti Sway.The TRUCK already rode stiff. It is a truck. It rides much better loaded and towing.

If you want to get these things be careful when towing.
That's really interesting. I'm having my WD hitch warrantied because of some serious metal galling near the hinge pins. I wonder if my air bags at 5psi during towing caused that.

How did you find out keeping the 5psi affected you WD and anti sway?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2007, 10:45 AM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
5 pist is the minimun recomended pressure when not in use to keep the from fully compressing. They seem to be having no affect on the pre-airbag ride or handling.
What I was trying to say is using them to level the truck defeats the purpose of the WD bars. They are supposed to transfer weight from the hitch to the front axle. By inflating the the bags you are changing the dynamics prior to or after hooking up. If you feel you need to use the bags to level after hooking up, your WD setup is in-correct.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:33 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ellis Grove , Illinois
This is my third set of Timbrens, on three different trucks, Love em,no maint.When they are bottomed out your bed is level!
KANEHILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:31 PM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
There's a fair number of threads on the TDR (TurboDieselRegister; Dodge) about the Aeon springs (Timbren). The simplicity of them is appealing, as is their low price.

The only caveat I have seen is that, if "partially loaded" the ride is rougher than either empty or with a substantial bed load.

I believe it is important, therefore, to determine the amount of sag one would have prior to their engagement. Different models of the same truck differ (2wd vs 4wd), different capacity trucks differ (2500 vs 3500) and of course there are differences between makes.

Wouldn't hurt to explore the topic more fully as there are also aftermarket spring packs which promise better performance and ride (relatively). Thus, see to the web forum which features your truck make. Also, ROADMASTER overloads, as well as SUPERSPRINGS.

It comes down to the use of your vehicle, and its' intended use.

Don't forget that better shocks, and larger anti-roll bars can make a difference.

For my truck the addition of a rear anti-roll bar (unavailble stock), a larger front anti-roll bar to complement it (along with the shocks I've already installed) should go most of the way for me. The next step is to determine how much to lower the rear end, and cut (not increase) the load resistance for better hitch rigging.

Good luck
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote