Old 08-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
I use Airlifts with my F250 and have for about 7 years. I have a shackle system and the bags mount over the shackles. I find them really useful for fine tuning the ride, especially when carrying a lot of camping gear in the truck bed.

720 lbs tongue weight seems a lot for that trailer. Is that the spec rated at GVWR or was it weighed?
Steve,

That is the spec weight for the new 23D. I just received a tongue weight scale so should get a more accurate weight.

Did you have TAPS install your Airlifts?

John

Old 08-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
Steve,

That is the spec weight for the new 23D. I just received a tongue weight scale so should get a more accurate weight.

Did you have TAPS install your Airlifts?

John
Mine are like the load lifter 5000 and I installed them myself and it took about half a day. They bolt onto the leaf spring mount and the frame, and I ran the air lines to the steel electrical connection mount on the truck. I drilled a couple holes in the mount for the air fill valves. It doesn't take much air to fill them, and I usually check the air pressure when I check the tires on the truck or trailer. I generally run mine at about 40 psi depending on load. I'm not sure whats involved with mounting the spring type lifts that you are looking at though.

I assume you went through Sky River for your A/S? You may want to see if they will let you try some lighter hitch bars before going to the Air Lifts, especially if your tongue weight is lighter when weighed. That may make the ride a bit less harsh. My trailer tongue weight is about 940# and rated at 1050#. I use 1000# bars on my Hensley. I had considered going to 1400# bars but after talking with them, they said it would make the ride more harsh and suggested I stick with the 1000.

I was going to offer up my Sherline scale to use, but sounds like you don't need it.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
When choosing the proper size w.d. bars to use, it is more than the trailer tongue weight they have to lift. Add some weight for the bed cap as well as any equipment carried behind the truck's rear axle.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
Mine are like the load lifter 5000 and I installed them myself and it took about half a day. They bolt onto the leaf spring mount and the frame, and I ran the air lines to the steel electrical connection mount on the truck. I drilled a couple holes in the mount for the air fill valves. It doesn't take much air to fill them, and I usually check the air pressure when I check the tires on the truck or trailer. I generally run mine at about 40 psi depending on load. I'm not sure whats involved with mounting the spring type lifts that you are looking at though.

I assume you went through Sky River for your A/S? You may want to see if they will let you try some lighter hitch bars before going to the Air Lifts, especially if your tongue weight is lighter when weighed. That may make the ride a bit less harsh. My trailer tongue weight is about 940# and rated at 1050#. I use 1000# bars on my Hensley. I had considered going to 1400# bars but after talking with them, they said it would make the ride more harsh and suggested I stick with the 1000.

I was going to offer up my Sherline scale to use, but sounds like you don't need it.
Good suggestion. I have the 800s we used on our 19. I'll give them a try.

Going to try the Sherline scales today.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
When choosing the proper size w.d. bars to use, it is more than the trailer tongue weight they have to lift. Add some weight for the bed cap as well as any equipment carried behind the truck's rear axle.
Dodge says to factor in the bed cap when calculating the RAM's carrying capacity.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:08 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
AirBags or Stiffer Shocks on 2013 Dodge RAM 1500?

I prefer leaf springs and air bags over coil springs and air shocks or air bags that go inside the coil spring. The rear axle shock mounts were never designed to carry the load in the truck.
My '08 Tundra rides just fine.

Tags