Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master
 
interstateflyer's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 871
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
I use Airlifts with my F250 and have for about 7 years. I have a shackle system and the bags mount over the shackles. I find them really useful for fine tuning the ride, especially when carrying a lot of camping gear in the truck bed.

720 lbs tongue weight seems a lot for that trailer. Is that the spec rated at GVWR or was it weighed?
Steve,

That is the spec weight for the new 23D. I just received a tongue weight scale so should get a more accurate weight.

Did you have TAPS install your Airlifts?

John
__________________

__________________
2017 Airstream International Serenity 25FB
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab Cummins 6.7 Diesel
interstateflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
TinShack's Avatar

 
2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,438
Images: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
Steve,

That is the spec weight for the new 23D. I just received a tongue weight scale so should get a more accurate weight.

Did you have TAPS install your Airlifts?

John
Mine are like the load lifter 5000 and I installed them myself and it took about half a day. They bolt onto the leaf spring mount and the frame, and I ran the air lines to the steel electrical connection mount on the truck. I drilled a couple holes in the mount for the air fill valves. It doesn't take much air to fill them, and I usually check the air pressure when I check the tires on the truck or trailer. I generally run mine at about 40 psi depending on load. I'm not sure whats involved with mounting the spring type lifts that you are looking at though.

I assume you went through Sky River for your A/S? You may want to see if they will let you try some lighter hitch bars before going to the Air Lifts, especially if your tongue weight is lighter when weighed. That may make the ride a bit less harsh. My trailer tongue weight is about 940# and rated at 1050#. I use 1000# bars on my Hensley. I had considered going to 1400# bars but after talking with them, they said it would make the ride more harsh and suggested I stick with the 1000.

I was going to offer up my Sherline scale to use, but sounds like you don't need it.
__________________

__________________
Steve
"THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS"
TinShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,716
When choosing the proper size w.d. bars to use, it is more than the trailer tongue weight they have to lift. Add some weight for the bed cap as well as any equipment carried behind the truck's rear axle.
__________________
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master
 
interstateflyer's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 871
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
Mine are like the load lifter 5000 and I installed them myself and it took about half a day. They bolt onto the leaf spring mount and the frame, and I ran the air lines to the steel electrical connection mount on the truck. I drilled a couple holes in the mount for the air fill valves. It doesn't take much air to fill them, and I usually check the air pressure when I check the tires on the truck or trailer. I generally run mine at about 40 psi depending on load. I'm not sure whats involved with mounting the spring type lifts that you are looking at though.

I assume you went through Sky River for your A/S? You may want to see if they will let you try some lighter hitch bars before going to the Air Lifts, especially if your tongue weight is lighter when weighed. That may make the ride a bit less harsh. My trailer tongue weight is about 940# and rated at 1050#. I use 1000# bars on my Hensley. I had considered going to 1400# bars but after talking with them, they said it would make the ride more harsh and suggested I stick with the 1000.

I was going to offer up my Sherline scale to use, but sounds like you don't need it.
Good suggestion. I have the 800s we used on our 19. I'll give them a try.

Going to try the Sherline scales today.
__________________
2017 Airstream International Serenity 25FB
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab Cummins 6.7 Diesel
interstateflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master
 
interstateflyer's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 871
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
When choosing the proper size w.d. bars to use, it is more than the trailer tongue weight they have to lift. Add some weight for the bed cap as well as any equipment carried behind the truck's rear axle.
Dodge says to factor in the bed cap when calculating the RAM's carrying capacity.
__________________
2017 Airstream International Serenity 25FB
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab Cummins 6.7 Diesel
interstateflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:08 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
TG Twinkie's Avatar
 
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,140
Images: 2
Blog Entries: 5
AirBags or Stiffer Shocks on 2013 Dodge RAM 1500?

I prefer leaf springs and air bags over coil springs and air shocks or air bags that go inside the coil spring. The rear axle shock mounts were never designed to carry the load in the truck.
My '08 Tundra rides just fine.
__________________

__________________
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1500


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Towing with a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 crew cab with 8ft. box with 5.9L engine Paul and Sue Tow Vehicles 11 07-27-2009 09:44 PM
Dodge Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle UK-Airstream On The Road... 6 06-07-2008 01:54 PM
Dodge Ram 1500 Tow rating HELP!!! cobra93 Tow Vehicles 11 02-05-2008 08:20 PM
Dodge RAM 1500 SLT 5.9 liter tow vehicle abridges01 Tow Vehicles 10 08-17-2006 09:25 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.