Old 05-20-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Moorpark , California
Air shocks...?

I am thinking about putting air shocks on the back of my T/V. Since you all have been so helpful and pointed me in the right direction on all the other
things I need to do, I thought I would get some advice on this as well...

I want to be able to carry other things in the bed sometimes as well as pull the A/S... I have a 95 Dodge Dakota 5.2 L V-8, I am also putting E rated tires on the back as well. I have all the other mods suggested by the forum in the works as well...

Thanks Again!

Perfetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
1999 25' Safari
Fairburn , Georgia
I installed AirLifts on the rear of my truck. They are only used when carrying a motorcycle in the bed and towing the Airstream. My procedure is to load the motorcycle, then add enough air to the lifts to bring the hitch back up to it's original height as when the truck is empty. The trailer is then coupled and the spring bars attached. This keeps everything level with the same tension on the spring bars as when the bed is empty.

JackMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
I think what you want are air bags not air shocks. Here is a link to a site that carries a number of brands and will give you an idea of what is out there, including the Air Lifts mentioned above.
1999 28' Safari
2012 F150 Platinum Max Tow 7650 GVWR 3.73 Elec. Locking Diff.(Prev 2003 Dmax).
Honda EU2000i, Equalizer Hitch
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
One member's opinion

Originally Posted by Perfetto View Post
I am thinking about putting air shocks on the back of my T/V. ... I thought I would get some advice on this as well ...
I assume you mean the type of shocks which are pumped with air from the gas station.

Shocks are meant to smooth out the main suspension system - not act in place of it. Air shocks may have their place without a towed load, but I personally do not like the use of them.

Your profile does not list a travel trailer. Most Airstreams require the use of a weight distribution hitch.

Air shocks will make tuning of a weight distribution hitch difficult, and could result in an unsafe ride.

1967 Airstream Overlander International
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member
Moorpark , California
I should have been more clear... I sometimes carry heavy loads in my truck... Motorcycles, Hot Tubs, Sand/Grave. Anyway I have always had
Airshocks put on my trucks in the past so that when I am carrying a heavy
load I just pump up the shock to support the load I am carrying... I am going this weekend to look at a 75 tradewind to purchase. If I add Airshocks to my truck will this be a benefit or a detriment to the trailer?

I am adding a weight distribution hitch to my truck... So if that makes it difficult to tune the hitch I guess it is not worth doing.

What type of shock or suspension modification could I make to the rear or
should I just stay with OEM?
Perfetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The air springs are used pretty widely by the truck camper community. The reports on how well they work are variable with most of the problems coming from people who run them at high pressure with heavy loads. Leaks also can be a source of frustration.

Most pickups wouldn't require auxiliary springs to carry a motorcycle and pull a trailer.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Louisville , United States
I've got a super-dooper set of air bags on my Chevy, which was used by the PO when towing their fifth-wheel. Recommend not using them when towing the AS, per the instructions from the Reese folks who made my weight-distributing system.

If you were to have a sudden, castrophic failure of an airbag while towing, I think the physics would give you at best a really memorable moment of terror, and worst leave you inverted.

Love the air bags, just use them when not towing.

'94 Excella 1000; '03 Silverado 2500HD
Louisville, Tennessee
SSChanger is offline   Reply With Quote