Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2010, 06:30 AM   #1
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Advice please on this vehicle

I am in such turmoil over vehicles.
The GMC that I have can tow the Argosy but you might notice from some of my other threads that it is underpowered and the rear end is a 3:42. I am considering mods to make the GMC better but that still might not be enough yet, and will be money potentially wasted if there is no real benefit.

I now have the opportunity to buy a Ford f250 7.3 diesel,automatic, 1996/7 (engine is a 97 apparently) for $3500.00, and it has 288k KM so no mileage at all really.
It feels tight, no slop in steering, regularly serviced but no access to service records.
I will get an inspection done but in addition to regular inspection items, what should I ask the mechanic to pay particular attention to? I am still trying to get service records but doubt I will have any luck.
I have read that the 7.3 diesel is just about the best ever built.
Any help experience or advice greatly appreciated.

Bex
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

I have a 2000 Excursion with close to 200000 miles, purchased new.
There is a long list of things that I have repaired or replaced to keep the vehicle in top condition much of it in the last two years. I have had few problems with the engine and none with the transmission but many other things have worn out like the power windows and locks, brakes, ball joints (twice), shocks (twice), power steering, water pump, fan belt idlers (2) and on it goes. I have complete service records and have spent over $10,000 over the years for repairs and replacements not including service. I am not complaining as this is par for the course if you keep a vehicle ten years and drive it 20k per year.
Considering the low price and age of your prospective purchase, you should consider it an expensive project.
Based on my experience, I would consider a newer vehicle with service records even though you will pay more for it. You will save money and aggravation in the end.
On any Ford 7.3 I would have my mechanic check the front end, the brakes and all the things that the serpentine belt turns. I would have him look at the fluids in the transmission and rear end. If these are leaking and/ or filthy, it is a good indication that expensive repairs will be needed soon.
The engine should start quickly and run smoothly with little smoke. Run it up a the steepest hill in the vicinity at highway speed. It should accelerate quickly even in overdrive. As you say, these are good engines.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Bex
I wiff handn . I think I would not jump on this unit to quickly. Look around first. I know the purchase price is attractive in todays economy but I think as Handn does,that you might be better off with something you can get service records with so you are able to see what has been replaced and what has not.
I would say if the engine has been properly maintained its capable of 500k miles,at least that's what Im hoping for with mine.
At 85k miles I have replaced batteries,water pump and brakes so far. I get more town miles because this is also our daily driver and at almost 8k lbs as equipped it does go thru brakes, Im about to put on my 3rd set since new.
I really think you might do better,depending on your situation,to consider purchasing new. You will have the payments but you will know what you have and how its maintained and you will have it for 10 yrs at least and mostly likely will never be broke down beside the road,that can be a bummer.
BEST OF LUCK with what ever you decide.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.
I spoke to the original owners of the vehicle.
They could not tell me about this specific unit, their records are put away but they could say for sure (and I accept what they say as trustworthy) that the vehicle was kept VERY well maintained whilst they had it. It was an oil field sales rep truck, so did mostly highway miles and went onto leases. It has had a rebuilt transmission and additional leafs put in the rear suspension. It does smoke a little at idle but that does ease off when its set to idle at around 1350 RPM's.
No sign of oil that I could see but I have said I want to get a full inspection BEFORE I commit.
I think I might take a chance on it, just because....
Like I did with the Argosy, trusted my gut and it looks like it worked out OK.
For the first 50 years of my life I analysed everything, now for the next 50 or more I want to try the gut thing. What the heck, its only money.
I will get the items you have suggested checked first and report back.
Cheers for now

Bex
Old 08-13-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Just looking at it from another angle if it is in decent shape and you get any service out of it at all you might be ahead. The going in price is low enough you won't get hurt. You can cover the cost of payments on a new truck in a very short time not even thinking about the depreciation loss driving off the dealers lot. Again just another way of looking at things.

I have a 92 Dodge Cimmins that I paid $4200 for about five years ago and at 240,000 miles it is still gong strong.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:47 AM   #6
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
Just looking at it from another angle if it is in decent shape and you get any service out of it at all you might be ahead. The going in price is low enough you won't get hurt. You can cover the cost of payments on a new truck in a very short time not even thinking about the depreciation loss driving off the dealers lot. Again just another way of looking at things.
Actually Dan, thats exactly the way I look at it. I could buy new and went that route once, still have the vehicle in fact ('03 Montana) I also have 2 x Dodge vans for by business a '91 and a 2000
Paid 2300 for the 91 and 23000 (which did include equipment) for the 2000.
The 91 costs me 30.00 per month and the 2000 over 200.00 (but that is still less than buying new) excluding tires, I have so much invested in the 2000 that I really dont see me selling it (the disclosure of repairs would likely put anybody off)
So I guess its all luck of the draw with used, and new as well, once the warranty is done, but the cost of that warranty is high and the new car smell does not last all that long!!

The Guy selling the truck is trying to get the records, I offered him more to come up with them, an incentive to try harder, and he agreed.
We shall see.

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.