Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Advice on towing with a Pacifica

This is an email from a friend of mine, who is local physician and wants to buy an Airstream. I personally would not tow this trailer with has Pacifica, but I would like some expert advice for him from this forum.

am looking at a 1971 Airstream Safari Land Yacht, 23' - the sellers are the third owners, i have attached pictures and a table of weights by class for your review.
The owners want $7500; i would greatly appreciate some advice
- i have a chrysler pacifica to tow with - rated at 3500lbs; we have it equipped with a towbar installed by uhaul for 3500; - the twin landyacht comes in at 3410 with a tongue weight of 580lbs
- the dealer at outofdoors mart wanted to put on a weight stabilizer; my question is can we tow this unit with our pacifica?
- what questions would you want answered before you got in the car to look at it - 320 miles away; what price would you pay; and any other advice that you have it would be appreciated!
- if the two beds in the body are twins - is the couch at the one a bed also? i have two girls and my wife who will need a place to sleep!
What i do know is that there is an awning, there are no leaks, Rear bath, mid section twin beds, living room kitchen in front. All appliances working order.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
The lightest of the two Safaris made that year has a dry weight of 3530#. He's already over weight before he puts anything in the trailer or the T.V.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Smile Hi

If he wants to tow his AS with a Pacifica. Good Luck.First truck or a good gust of wind will have him in a dich. I hope he has good medical and vehicle insurance that cowers ignorance.
Regards From Russell in Sunny and Warm Tucson Az.
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Sound advice already posted about the tow vehicle...or lack of one.

About the trailer ~ Yes, the front sofa/gaucho should fold out into a double bed - if it's original. Here are some pictures of the '71 Safari to check out. Price seems a bit on the high side at first glance...hard to tell without more detail or pictures. This Price vs Condition information will help you determine that. Keep in mind, a pre-73 trailer did not have a grey tank, so unless one has been retrofit, you will need a exteriro grey water tote or full hook-ups because most places won't let you run grey on the ground.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
The trailer seems to be in decent shape, with a nice polishing job (if that's what the buyer wants). The yellow paint on the banana skin and A-frame needs to be covered up though! Price is a relative thing. Around here, it would be a bargain.

Road Ruler has been towing the same trailer with a Nissan Quest, which is smaller and has less power than the Pacifica. Personally, I'd expect the Pacifica to work very well with very good pulling power if (and only if):

1. The Class II U-Haul receiver is thrown away and replaced with a Class III unit (which will require a custom receiver);
2. A weight distributing hitch (with some kind of sway control, probably friction) is acquired and set up properly to put equal tongue weight on the front and rear axles of the Pacifica, which I wouldn't count on the typical RV dealer to do;
3. A good quality positive-acting brake controller is installed in the tow vehicle; and,
4. An auxiliary automatic transmission fluid cooler is installed.

The challenge will be finding a shop capable and willing to do the work. Your friend should get in touch with Andrew T via this forum for specific advice.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF
The trailer seems to be in decent shape, with a nice polishing job (if that's what the buyer wants). The yellow paint on the banana skin and A-frame needs to be covered up though!
I think you may have mis-understood my post & link....those pictures are from the Photo Archives and of several different same year/model trailers for comparison - not the subject trailer. I don't believe the originator of this thread has posted pictures...yet ~ <HintHintHint>

I agree...the yellow in that first one linked is, uh, well, shall we say different!
Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I own and tow a '75 23 foot Safari...not too much difference. I have towed it with a short wheelbase Dodge 1/2 ton pickup with a 4.7 liter V8, and did not feel comfortable doing it. I now tow with a GMC 1/2 ton extended cab pickup equipped with HD suspension and towing package, and it's a delight.

With the experience I had with the shortwheelbase Dodge pickup, I would not consider towing it with a Pacifica, but that's my opinion.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:55 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'd have to agree with most of the posts here. Not a capital idea to tow with a Pacifica...perhaps a small pop-up......
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote