Old 04-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Seattle , Washington
Advice on Tow Vehicle - X5 or ML350?

Hello,

We're excited to buy our first travel trailer and we've decided on the 27' International. We're looking at towing it with either the BMW X5 diesel or the Mercedes ML350 Bluetec. The trailer has a dry weight of about 5500 pounds. The BMW specs say it can tow 6,000 pounds but I understand that's a conservative estimate and that it can tow more. The Mercedes can tow 7200 pounds which may make it a safer bet. I've looked through the forums and I've found members who tow a 19' trailer with an X5 but I haven't seen anything bigger. Because we don't want to have to buy and store a pick-up truck, we have decided a diesel SUV is the way to go. Does anyone have experience towing with either of these vehicles? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I'm going car shopping today to have a preliminary look and I'd like to buy something this week. Thanks in advance to anyone with advice!
Lisa

Old 04-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
I'd luv to have one of those vehicles as a TV. They are top rated for handling and performance. Someone here on the forum has been towing a 31' for some time. Maybe they will chime in. Getting the hook up right is very important with these vehicles to take advantage of the performance/potential.

I thought this was an impressive video from another forum member showing how well the ML tows an Airstream. Windy day towing in Nebraska - YouTube

Old 04-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Land Yacht
Phoenix , Arizona
I have an ML320 CDI with which I tow my 23' International. I have a Hensley hitch also. The only problem that I have had is that I sometimes forget that the Airstream is back there. However, I would be very uncomfortable with putting the 27' International back there, as it is much heavier than the 23' and has a much greater tongue weight. I have seen a number of people on here who are doing it, though.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
See my avatar, and then do a search on "withidl". I've towed a 2002 31' ASCL with a GVWR of 8,300# over 35,000 miles with a 2001 X5 4.4i gas engine with Dinan enhancements. I now have 107,000 miles on the vehicle and only us it to tow the AS. If you decide on the X5 diesel (N/A in 2001), send me a personal note and I'll give you my phone number so you can call me; I'll tell you what you need to do.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
You should also look at a VW Touareg and Audi Q7 to cover all the choices.

I've extensively driven both the X5 and ML (and the VW) but did not tow with any of them. ML has simpler controls and a softer ride while the X5 is more expensive and sporty. The VW might actually be the most rounded, but bringing up towing a 27 with one is an eternal hot topic here.

Tom
Old 04-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #6

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I'd think about going to
http://www.canamrv.ca/towing/
Email Them and they can give you advise on your choices. Towing 27' will require some modifications and without them I wouldn't do it. Good luck but I'd give them a call before you buy something.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by withidl View Post
See my avatar, and then do a search on "withidl". I've towed a 2002 31' ASCL
I new you were out there withidl, just couldn't get your name to register.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Meridian , Idaho
We have a 2012 ML 350 Bluetec that we use to pull our 23FB. We also have the ProPride hitch.

So far, we love this setup. Lots of power, very easy to handle, and the ML350 is a great vehicle when not towing.

I was asking Andy at CanAm about reinforcing our receiver because the ML350 has a reputation for being weak in that area. After looking at one, he told me that the 2012 is much stronger in that regard than the earlier models, and we did not need to reinforce it. This was welcome news!
Old 04-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Land Yacht
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurb View Post
I was asking Andy at CanAm about reinforcing our receiver because the ML350 has a reputation for being weak in that area.
I have heard this too, but I don't see what is weak about 1/2" steel welded to heavy-duty 3" steel tubing. There was a recall on certain years of the ML/GL with the factory tow package, definitely on 2008s, because of a batch of hitches with improper welds, so maybe that is where it got started.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Meridian , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by easplund

I have heard this too, but I don't see what is weak about 1/2" steel welded to heavy-duty 3" steel tubing. There was a recall on certain years of the ML/GL with the factory tow package, definitely on 2008s, because of a batch of hitches with improper welds, so maybe that is where it got started.
What Andy said in particular is that the tube is larger now and the welds go all the way along the seam where the receiver is welded to it instead of just 1/3 of the way. I have never seen the older receiver design, personally.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler
I'd luv to have one of those vehicles as a TV. They are top rated for handling and performance. Someone here on the forum has been towing a 31' for some time. Maybe they will chime in. Getting the hook up right is very important with these vehicles to take advantage of the performance/potential.

I thought this was an impressive video from another forum member showing how well the ML tows an Airstream. Windy day towing in Nebraska - YouTube
Know several folks tow quite successfully with the ML350 Bluetec (with 455 ft lbs of torque the uphills should be a cinch) and I'm the midst of a purchase myself, got great advice from Andy (theres a another thread on the ML going into more specifics) but if you get squeamish about it you could always go with the larger GL Bluetec, they have a longer wheelbase and get the better engine along with a big design for MY2013. BTW, it's a GL in the "windy" video.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #12
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleMum
Hello,

We're excited to buy our first travel trailer and we've decided on the 27' International. We're looking at towing it with either the BMW X5 diesel or the Mercedes ML350 Bluetec. The trailer has a dry weight of about 5500 pounds. The BMW specs say it can tow 6,000 pounds but I understand that's a conservative estimate and that it can tow more. The Mercedes can tow 7200 pounds which may make it a safer bet. I've looked through the forums and I've found members who tow a 19' trailer with an X5 but I haven't seen anything bigger. Because we don't want to have to buy and store a pick-up truck, we have decided a diesel SUV is the way to go. Does anyone have experience towing with either of these vehicles? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I'm going car shopping today to have a preliminary look and I'd like to buy something this week. Thanks in advance to anyone with advice!
Lisa
Check out the blog by Rich Luhr in the e version of Airstream Life. "Man in the Maze".
Old 04-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
I have a first gen X5 with the 6 cylinder engine and will order a new X5 diesel soon, just waiting for the small refresh for 2013 model year. BMW will have a new gen X5 for the 2014 model year but not much detail has been leaked yet. The fact we are replacing our 2001 X5 with the "same" model is evidence of our liking: even as an SUV (or SAV) it drives like a Bimmer.

However, I think you would be pretty close to the limits if you hitch up a >700# tongue weight and a dry weight that is just a couple hundred pounds below the nominal capacity of the vehicle.

Before we found & bought our Class A Airstream we consided buying a TV and a trailer, but I am glad we found the Class A and didn't invest in two separate vehicles.

In additon to the "usual suspects" for towing, we also consdered the Cayenne because it is rated for 7700# if I remember correctly.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #14
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Also google Mercedes towing airstream YouTube, I don't know how to add the link, and you will find a really nice setup. Jim