Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2017, 08:51 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Also towing a 28' with an F150 Ecoboost. No issues with plenty of power in the mountains and handles fine in heavy winds with the Propride Hitch. We travel light and preferred the F150 when not towing over the F250/F350's back in '13 when we bought it. Next truck might be a F350 so I can bring a motorcycle along in the bed of the truck but I am reluctant because of the additional size and weight when not towing, especially on marginal 2 tracks were the F150 is already too big.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:59 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergatroyd View Post
So you are saying that a large vehicle is less likely to get into an accident than a small vehicle? Now that's ridiculous. A small vehicle can stop on a dime and it can swerve around obstacles and pedestrians much better than any oversized truck. Evberybody knows this.
Yep, you just keep swerving around, seen it happen a few times trying to miss a deer ,ended up in the borrow ditch ,after it rolled a few times..the wife died right there, he died 2 days later in the hospital...that happened just south of Moore, Mt. a few years ago...evidently you need more driving experience....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:03 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2017 28' Flying Cloud
Southwest Ranches , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Yep, you just keep swerving around, seen it happen a few times trying to miss a deer ,ended up in the borrow ditch ,after it rolled a few times..the wife died right there, he died 2 days later in the hospital...that happened just south of Moore, Mt. a few years ago...evidently you need more driving experience....
I don't recommend you drive your truck into a ditch either. It will roll over a lot easier than a low center of gravity car or SUV.
Mergatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:11 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I'm sure you could get by with 1500 - we had one when we first bought our 30" Classic, but shortly thereafter moved to a 2500HD diesel (and also a Hensley Hitch).

I found the towing experience much more relaxed, and my preference is to have vehicles loaded with a good margin of capacity.

We have had the 2500HD for 9 years now with minimal issues and have no intent at present to replace it just yet! I would do the same again and would recommend it if the additional $$ is not a big deal.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:50 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Key differences over the Tundra or RAM is "payload", and with a 30', you will want at least 1500 lbs payload; with the hitch weight, your passengers, and what ever else you plan on bringing along, not easy to find one in those other brands!
Typical payload on the F-150 is about 10% more than Tundra, which is typically about 10% more than Ram. Worth noting, but not terribly significant. Pretty easy to find 1500 payload on any of them.

Also worth noting: Entry price of the Ford is less than Toyota, but Ford's price goes up about 30% to get the options necessary for towing, while Toyota comes fully equipped for towing on every model.

Then there's the cost of maintenance and repairs. I've spent a whole lot more money fixing my Fords than fixing my Toyotas. I bought the Sequoia used, but I have all the service records since it was new. Aside from maintenance, there have been zero repairs in 9 years and 160,000 miles.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:14 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Things have changed over the years my last six Fords have required only recommended service.Toyotas are good but are not as spacious inside and the only offer a tiny box in a crewcab.They are not a compact nor are they a full size truck.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:34 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lumberton , Mississippi
Send a message via ICQ to Lyman
Well interesting conversations when comparing red headed women to blondes. Whos the best who knows depending on what day it is I guess. How come no Chev guys jumped in here?? I have a 3500 4 wheel drive dually Dodge have had it 15 years pulled everything made now pull 30' Classic easy job. My advice buy what you get the best deal on being a Ford Chev or Dodge. Think gas engine is all you need. Cheaper to buy in beginning and cheaper in long run on fuel prices. Am sure you own 2nd vechicle so your driving in crowded placed could be done with that. Good luck with your choice and keep us informed.
Lyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:50 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Toyotas are good but are not as spacious inside and the only offer a tiny box in a crewcab.They are not a compact nor are they a full size truck.
As you say, Tundra was mid-size from 2000 to 2006.

2007 - present Tundra is full size; same size as Ford, slightly larger than Ram.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:27 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

Dayton , OH, 2017 33' Classic 8,561 dry
For OPs goals & needs, as DD prefers something more comfortable & nimble maybe something the wife can see to maneuver into smaller spots with cars. But as part time TV for 30'TT can climb & descend mountains safely.

HDs don't generally fit the first part very well. Aside from being taller & less nimble is a stiff ride & eats more fuel for the daily Austin commute. But certainly they have improved can be acceptable & for some especially those who want to take heavier stuff such as an ATV in the bed is the right decision.

Anybody's light duty or LD (1/2 ton) will do the DD part better and properly specked can do the TT & grades satisfactorily. But you must take the time to get truck & trailer level with the best weight distribution at the scales once it's camp ready. This requires buying a proper sized no sway WDH or Pro Prop/Hennessy AND adjusting it at the scales until you get it the best you can. This is generally a one time event unless you have some radical load change. Some load truck trailer combos additionally greatly benefit from air bag suspension support. These compliment the WDH they do not replace it. This to my experience is the best compromise for your needs.

On a side note with respects to safety most likely wind gusts & sudden deer or accident avoidance maneuvers. Aside from being vigilant, Hitch & good axle weight dispersement is the biggest most important thing you can do to keep your family safe from ending up backwards upside down and in the ditch. Some people use having a HD TV as an excuse to be lazy & skip this. With a 30' TT you should not. In fact I'd say a properly scaled & no sway WDH set up LD truck would be safer with that TT than the average bub with a HD with the same TT "flying blind" ie never seen a scale.

Which LD & which WDH is more personal preference but each has some definable pros & cons. As for trucks specked to do the job some general highlights; Tundra great reliability terrible fuel economy dated 6 speed technology & platform.

Ford F-150 3.5 EB more technology but somewhat unproven 10 speed great power & delivery is fast and turbos tow best at altitude cons hard on fuel especially towing. This would be one of my pics. Ford to add new small more fuel efficient diesel to complete with the ED next summer.

RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi, proven 8 speed no turbo, RAM 1500 Ecodiesel more technology, proven 8 speed, highest fuel economy especially towing, not fast but great power delivery for towing especially at altitude because it's turbocharged, aftermarket software for a turbo brake for safe descent. This would also be a pick.

GM 1500 6.2 Some new tech, 8 speed, powerful but no turbos, hard on fuel especially towing, Nissan Has a new 5/8 ton or tweener diesel, plenty of towing power even at altitude, hard on fuel but sets & handles like a HD.

Unfortunately 2017 Ecodiesels have not been released by the EPA yet so you can't get one yet. It may be 2018 before release in which case you will want to compare to the coming Ford.
Transportr AS & TT Mfg 2 dealr RAM ED factory brake controller tow mirror hitch camera & receiver 1,290/12k, No sway WDH, Adj. hitch, axle 2 frame air bags, tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 31.9" load tires, Max ED tow 9,200, GCAR 7,800, Max Ram 1500 GCVW 15,950, truck hitches steer 3,240 drive 2,560
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:32 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluminati View Post
Typical payload on the F-150 is about 10% more than Tundra, which is typically about 10% more than Ram. Worth noting, but not terribly significant. Pretty easy to find 1500 payload on any of them.

Also worth noting: Entry price of the Ford is less than Toyota, but Ford's price goes up about 30% to get the options necessary for towing, while Toyota comes fully equipped for towing on every model.

Then there's the cost of maintenance and repairs. I've spent a whole lot more money fixing my Fords than fixing my Toyotas. I bought the Sequoia used, but I have all the service records since it was new. Aside from maintenance, there have been zero repairs in 9 years and 160,000 miles.
So let me get this straigth, you have owned Toyotas for the last nine years but spent more on repairing your Fords.
I would say you are out of date with commenting on the reliability of Fords.
I have driven our 2012 F-150 Ecoboost for a flawless 100k miles a great deal of it towing our 30' Airstream.
In our construction business we routinely get 200k miles on the Ford F-250 service trucks with nothing more than routine maintenance.
Toyota makes great products both cars and trucks however I personally prefer Fords and would not justify that decision by knocking other brands.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:33 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Franklyfrank has it right

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
So let me get this straigth, you have owned Toyotas for the last nine years but spent more on repairing your Fords.
I have driven our 2012 F-150 Ecoboost for a flawless 100k miles a great deal of it towing our 30' Airstream.
In our construction business we routinely get 200k miles on the Ford F-250 service trucks with nothing more than routine maintenance.
Toyota makes great products both cars and trucks however I personally prefer Fords and would not justify that decision by knocking other brands.
Agree with this post. 110K now on my 2012 EB pulling the 25' FB Twin; still runs great. I see lots of 30' AS's being pulled with Ford; more than other brands, and I do note this since my wife would like a 30 some day... I noted at the last rally I attended, several 30's pulled by Ford--some F250s and some EB's. As I scanned the RV park, most everyone had a Ford...few GM's, and one RAM ED. I don't think the OP would be disappointed with a Ford.

As for Toyota or RAM; payload, payload, and again, payload...yes, you can "order" with higher payloads, but typically this means no supercrew cab, no 4x4, and sacrificing other options to get above 1300 lbs of payload...that was my point in suggesting Ford F150EB. If you don't believe, go to a RAM or Toyota lot and check the door stickers on what they have in stock...(and they all have a bunch of trucks to sell)..finding something with more than 1500 lbs payload in a supper crew cab, 4x4 is a challenge. I could not find a Toyota Tundra 4x4, suppercab, reasonably equipped with payload above 1300 lbs payload...as I mentioned earlier, the sales guys typically don't know where to find this sticker...they quote the max payload weights off the truck spec sheets without reading the **fine print, which basically says "weight subject to options". They also do not know this figure does not include driver or passengers...they simply do not know this stuff. Not trying to make this a payload only discussion...but payload is important...Ford offers a good solid product for TV.
gypsydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:14 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2017 28' Flying Cloud
Southwest Ranches , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Agree with this post. 110K now on my 2012 EB pulling the 25' FB Twin; still runs great. I see lots of 30' AS's being pulled with Ford; more than other brands, and I do note this since my wife would like a 30 some day... I noted at the last rally I attended, several 30's pulled by Ford--some F250s and some EB's. As I scanned the RV park, most everyone had a Ford...few GM's, and one RAM ED. I don't think the OP would be disappointed with a Ford.

As for Toyota or RAM; payload, payload, and again, payload...yes, you can "order" with higher payloads, but typically this means no supercrew cab, no 4x4, and sacrificing other options to get above 1300 lbs of payload...that was my point in suggesting Ford F150EB. If you don't believe, go to a RAM or Toyota lot and check the door stickers on what they have in stock...(and they all have a bunch of trucks to sell)..finding something with more than 1500 lbs payload in a supper crew cab, 4x4 is a challenge. I could not find a Toyota Tundra 4x4, suppercab, reasonably equipped with payload above 1300 lbs payload...as I mentioned earlier, the sales guys typically don't know where to find this sticker...they quote the max payload weights off the truck spec sheets without reading the **fine print, which basically says "weight subject to options". They also do not know this figure does not include driver or passengers...they simply do not know this stuff. Not trying to make this a payload only discussion...but payload is important...Ford offers a good solid product for TV.
Someone on the forum posted this link recently: http://www.hannafords.ca/. Go to the dealer's inventory and you will find photos of their actual trucks for sale, including photos of the actual loading labels and actual weight rating plates. I found it helpful.

Another thing I find useful is to go to a large car show where you can see all the trucks and cars side-by-side, not just one at a time as when dealer hopping.

Yes, you have a hard time finding a fully loaded 1/2 ton truck with a payload above 1500. I saw a RAM hemi 4WD super crew fully loaded with a payload label showing 945 lbs. That's less than my car. But if you distribute your load properly you can make it work for any Airstream.
Mergatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:26 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
And I would say your nose is out of joint.

I have owned a wide variety of cars and trucks since 1978. My most recent transaction was 14 months ago when l sold a Ford van to buy the Sequoia.
Currently I own two Toyotas, a Honda, and a Suzuki.

It is quite remarkable how outdated general knowledge about trucks is on this forum. Evidently many of us don't know that Toyota has been making full size pickups for the last 10 yrs, and some don't know that Nissan has joined the ranks too. This week someone said Ram was the only company to offer 1/2 ton diesel. Ignorance in the hands of passionate men doesn't make a pretty picture.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:53 PM   #54

2015 30' International
Durango , Colorado
Decision Made...

One of the things I love the most about the Airstream community is the passion everyone brings to their opinions and perspectives! I figured this thread might start a "religious war" over the various pros and cons of different TV's. But after sifting through all of the responses and varied opinions, I found that all of these voices made it easier, not harder, for me to make a decision.

A couple of weekends ago my wife and I purchased a 2017 Ford F-250 Diesel. We could not be happier with this choice of truck. It is extremely comfortable and tows the 30' International like a dream. I've been driving the truck just about every day to work and despite the size I absolutely love this truck for both DD and TV duties.

I'll post a formal new member post in the member intro section of this forum. And if I can figure out how to upload a picture, I'll post a pic of the new rig. The truck and trailer look awesome together.

Thanks again to everyone for your input and advice...so nice to be part of such a passionate and knowledgable community.

Look for us, along with our dog Rocky, on some short weekend excursions around Texas in June. In July we'll be in New Mexico and Colorado. And August will find us in Utah, Oregon, and Montana. Can't wait to get the new truck and trailer out for an extended trip. Going to be a fun summer!

Bill
bted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:35 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by bted View Post
One of the things I love the most about the Airstream community is the passion everyone brings to their opinions and perspectives! I figured this thread might start a "religious war" over the various pros and cons of different TV's. But after sifting through all of the responses and varied opinions, I found that all of these voices made it easier, not harder, for me to make a decision.

A couple of weekends ago my wife and I purchased a 2017 Ford F-250 Diesel. We could not be happier with this choice of truck. It is extremely comfortable and tows the 30' International like a dream. I've been driving the truck just about every day to work and despite the size I absolutely love this truck for both DD and TV duties.

I'll post a formal new member post in the member intro section of this forum. And if I can figure out how to upload a picture, I'll post a pic of the new rig. The truck and trailer look awesome together.

Thanks again to everyone for your input and advice...so nice to be part of such a passionate and knowledgable community.

Look for us, along with our dog Rocky, on some short weekend excursions around Texas in June. In July we'll be in New Mexico and Colorado. And August will find us in Utah, Oregon, and Montana. Can't wait to get the new truck and trailer out for an extended trip. Going to be a fun summer!

Bill

Great choice! Congratulations,looking forward to some pictures.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote