Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2017, 07:30 PM   #1

2015 30' International
Durango , Colorado
Advice needed for pulling 30' International

My wife and I are purchasing a 2015 International Signature 30. We are super-excited to hit the road but need to upgrade our tow vehicle first. We have owned a series of Toyota Tacoma's and we love the product. But obviously the Tacoma does not have the capacity for our new trailer. Our first thought was to upgrade to a Tundra but I would prefer to buy from an American manufacturer if possible. Here are my questions:

1. We have driven and like the Ford's. Is the F-150 with 3.5L V6 EcoBoost enough to pull this trailer, even in the mountains?
2. Would we be better off stepping-up to an F-250 and going diesel? When we are not on the road this truck will be a daily driver for one of us so the smaller truck is more appealing in this regard.

Thanks, in advance, for any guidance on our TV choice. Excited to be a part of the Airstream family!
bted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
We live in Colorado and pull our 28 foot AS through the mountains all the time with a 2014 F150 EcoBoost. Absolutely no problem. Our trailer weighs about 8300 pounds in travel mode. I highly recommend the F150 EcoBoost. The turbos are immune to the altitude variations. Diesels are a PITA with all the new regulations and not fun to drive as a daily driver.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:49 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , North Carolina
Ram 1500

I have a 2017 30 Flying Cloud Bunk. I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel with air suspension. We have a Propride hitch. IMHO it is required with this set up. Other hitch i tried didn't work well. The Ram handles the trailer exceptionally well. I get 14-16 MPG towing. THAT IS THE TRUTH. I do have an after market tune on the engine from Green Diesel Engineering GDE.

Our son towed the trailer this past weekend with a 2016 Ford F-150 with a 5.0. V8. He got 9 MPG towing on flat ground going 60- 65. I drove it. Ram is so much better in every way. Really surprised how much better the Ram was.

Be glad to talk with you about it further if you want to. Send me a private message with a phone number.

I totally disagree with DaveP about being a daily driver. My wife and I both drive it. Easy to park. I have had 4 diesel F-250s. They are not great daily drivers.

Congrats on getting the Airstream.
jim6090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:51 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
We had a 30' Classic some years back...pulled it with a Ford F-250 diesel. That was a very good combination and a joy to pull with especially in the mountains. I personally would get a 3/4 ton of your choice and be done and happy.

The F-150's are nice trucks but I would say they are best pulling 25' airstreams or smaller. Remember, your safety is the most important factor here...don't short change yourself.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:55 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
stow , Ohio
BTED,

Welcome to the family!
You do not need a diesel to tow an Airstream. You need them for heavy trailers and fifth wheels but not an Airstream. The F-250 does have a heavier frame and suspension, but you only need a gas engine with it. While it is true that in the higher altitudes you lose 10% of your power foor every 1,000 feet up you drive with a non-diesel and the engine brake is handy, it would not make sense to pay all the extra $$$ you would pay for it. As a daily driver, gas it the way to go.

I tow 27 FB with Sierra 1500 5.3 engine and heavy tow package with no problems. It is a great daily driver when I am not towing which is most of the time.
Carrma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
There is no "safety" issue with a F150 over a 250. Both are safe. Other considerations, perhaps, but please don't bring "safety" into this discussion. If you dont exceed ratings, you're "safe".
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:02 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
I pull a 30 with a GMC 2500. Love it pulling and couldn't imagine something putting a smile on my face like that combo does.

Now that we've got that out of the way... a 3/4 ton isn't city friendly. I spend a fair amount of time inside Houston on streets and thoroughfares. It's like a bucking bull. It doesn't bother me much, but my wife is NOT a fan of the stiff ride.

Either way, look critically at the door sticker for capacity of the actual truck you're looking at. No salesperson, brochure, etc. Only the door sticker will tell you exactly what that rig is rated to haul.

If you rack up lots of miles in crazy Austin traffic, look hard at the 1/2 ton platform.

Disclaimer-- we all know 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton are outdated terms. Used here for simplicity.

CONGRATS ON THE NEW AIRSTREAM!!!! Woohooo!!!

Dave
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:03 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
We have a 30ft 2012 FC and pull it with a 2015 F250 diesel. Very pleased with this combination and would recommend it. I use the F250 as my daily driver and haven't had any problems. Truck has plenty of reserve for the hills or mountains and handles most traffic situations without stress.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
I'm very happy with my RAM 2500. I've got the crew-cab and 6'4" bed. Easy to park. It seats 5 comfortably, has air suspension on all four tires making the ride pretty smooth. You can't beat the Cummins engine for torque. Add the Pro-pride hitch and you've got a winning combo.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:15 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Both Ford F-150/250 and Toyota Tundra are assembled in America.
Neither of them has enough American parts in them to qualify as "American made", but both of them are pretty close.

I've owned several Fords and Toyotas over the years. My experience with both is the reason I tow with a Toyota.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bted View Post
Our first thought was to upgrade to a Tundra but I would prefer to buy from an American manufacturer if possible.
You're coming from a Tacoma so you obviously saw an advantage to a Toyota then. I also had a series of foreign cars then decided to "buy American" when I bought a Dodge Ram years ago. I insisted it be assembled in the USA, and it was, Kansas City. All the engines were made in Mexico. Let me tell you, that was the worst vehicle I've owned since my 1970's Fiat. It never stranded me because the Mexican engine was fine, but the list of broken things was depressing.
I traded it on a Honda, and I just traded the Honda on a Tundra. The Tundras are made in San Antonio. There is no more "Made in America" other than marketing.
Buy what you like, chances are Americans are making it (for the most part) Buy what will last.
Cue the folks that tell me how much they love their Dodge Rams. Good for them.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:57 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
You don't need a diesel but you will be glad you have it.
I tow a 30 foot classic with a GMC 3500 SRW with a Durmax and a equalizer hitch fast to hitch and unhitch. no worries just hitch and go.

many air streamers love to tow big trailers with small tow vehicles, not my choice it is your call. you seldom see air stream delivery trucks that are small?
guess they know something

Earl
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:02 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlM View Post
...you seldom see air stream delivery trucks that are small?
guess they know something

Earl

Yes. They know they might need to deliver a different trailer on a different day that is heavier than an Airstream.

You seldom see 350 trucks parked at the supermarket or the mall. I wonder why that is?

2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:13 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
I guess you don't live where trucks are a 1500, or a 2500 or a 3500 GMC pickup are the same physical size. I can park my 3500 anywhere a 1500 or a F-150 can park. as far as delivery companies if you cant run with the big dogs I guess you stay on the porch.

Earl
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:24 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Woodstock ON , Ontario
We Tow with Gasoline...now!

We have pulled our 30'er with a 2014 GMC 1500 All Terrain (4x4) short box Crew Cab 5.3 ltr gas engine from coast to coast in Canada including Newfoundland, the Yukon and into Alaska, twice to Florida and back. The GM engine in this pickup is a "truck engine" differs from the same displacement engine in GM cars and SUV's, and built to load and tow. We do have a car, but this truck is my daily driver, as easy to drive in the city as our car.

Other than a smallish gas tank which means stops for fuel three times a day, this pickup meets and exceeds all of our expectations for towing, travel without our AS, and cabin passenger comfort. It has more than enough power for every circumstance we have encountered, including the Quebec Gaspe and the Canadian Rocky Mountains.

Our fuel consumption average is typically 10 to 12 mpg, dependent on headwinds and climbs in mountains. Fortunately, every uphill has a downhill, so it all averages out.

Over 18 years before we bought an AS, we owned and towed 3 different heavy 5th wheels with diesels, 3 Dodge diesels and 2 GM diesels across Canada, the US and Mexico. Diesels are great for sure, but IMHO an AS does not need a diesel even in tough climbs and headwinds.

Welcome, and good fortune to you!!
cbrittan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:36 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
We like our 17 ram ,2500,6.7 cummalong, pulling our 13 31' classic, on the first 5000 mile trip ,13.5 mpg...our 07 had 110,000 and never been in the shop, stay with 3/4 ton...1/2 tons are too lite...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:51 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2017 28' Flying Cloud
Southwest Ranches , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrittan View Post
We have pulled our 30'er with a 2014 GMC 1500 All Terrain (4x4) short box Crew Cab 5.3 ltr gas engine from coast to coast in Canada including Newfoundland, the Yukon and into Alaska, twice to Florida and back. The GM engine in this pickup is a "truck engine" differs from the same displacement engine in GM cars and SUV's, and built to load and tow. We do have a car, but this truck is my daily driver, as easy to drive in the city as our car.

Other than a smallish gas tank which means stops for fuel three times a day, this pickup meets and exceeds all of our expectations for towing, travel without our AS, and cabin passenger comfort. It has more than enough power for every circumstance we have encountered, including the Quebec Gaspe and the Canadian Rocky Mountains.

Our fuel consumption average is typically 10 to 12 mpg, dependent on headwinds and climbs in mountains. Fortunately, every uphill has a downhill, so it all averages out.

Over 18 years before we bought an AS, we owned and towed 3 different heavy 5th wheels with diesels, 3 Dodge diesels and 2 GM diesels across Canada, the US and Mexico. Diesels are great for sure, but IMHO an AS does not need a diesel even in tough climbs and headwinds.

Welcome, and good fortune to you!!
You can tow a 30 with a 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton pickup, or even with some SUV's. The question is, how much towing are you going to do and how much sitting in one place are you going to do. If you're towing a lot you want a larger vehicle, but if you're sitting a lot you want a smaller vehicle.

A diesel has much better fuel economy when towing, so if you tow more than, say, 25,000 miles with it then you're better off with a diesel.
Mergatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:58 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Ferndale , Washington
I've loved our Toyota Avalon and had a couple other Toyota products I've liked. I have also always been a GMC truck guy (wife now drives a GMC Yukon 2017 and after trying the Toyota Highlander and then the Yukon there was no comparison Yukon is quieter, more powerful, and more fun to drive). I tried the RAM in 2014 and really liked the ride, electronic interface and quietness. It now has 80,000 miles on it (about 15,000 of that pulling our 30' International) without a problem! We trailer in the west and over passes as high as 9000' and this truck has more than enough power to pull at speed limits on all passes. We got 12 mpg on our last month long trip. What I really like is that is a great daily driver (crew cab 6'4" box) and when we park the trailer it is nice and comfortable for running around (unlike most 2500 diesels). Only concern I have with the Tundras is they have less torque and hp in the 5.7 than the RAM while getting about 2 mpg less mileage. Their engine has not yet caught up with new technology.
Riverdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bted View Post
My wife and I are purchasing a 2015 International Signature 30. We are super-excited to hit the road but need to upgrade our tow vehicle first. We have owned a series of Toyota Tacoma's and we love the product. But obviously the Tacoma does not have the capacity for our new trailer. Our first thought was to upgrade to a Tundra but I would prefer to buy from an American manufacturer if possible. Here are my questions:

1. We have driven and like the Ford's. Is the F-150 with 3.5L V6 EcoBoost enough to pull this trailer, even in the mountains?
2. Would we be better off stepping-up to an F-250 and going diesel? When we are not on the road this truck will be a daily driver for one of us so the smaller truck is more appealing in this regard.

Thanks, in advance, for any guidance on our TV choice. Excited to be a part of the Airstream family!
I pulled our 30' International with a F-150 Ecoboost for four years. It got the job done but most of the time it was a JOB. Many of times it was a situation where the tail was waging the dog since everything was pretty much to the limit. After 100 K miles we traded it, last December, for a 2017 F-250 Diesel. I thought I died and went to heaven. The difference is day and night. The truck has the bulk and weight to balance the trailer.
We bought the F-150 in 2012 to be the TV for our first AS, a 28' International. After one season we realized that it was a bit tight quarters with two German Sheppards and we upgraded to the 30' however we did not want to go through the extra expense to change to a larger truck. In hind sight I regret the decision. If you can swing it go with the larger truck.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:39 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Some good friends just bought a 30' AS earlier this year and have already taken it cross country. Their tow vehicle is a Ford F-150. They told me the Ford had all the power they needed to climb the longest, steepest grades on the interstate. The Tundra, btw, is built in Texas, and has more towing power and a better reliability rating than Ford. You can buy stock in Toyota just as easily as Ford so don't get hung up on that Buy America thing concerning these two vehicles.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote