Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Adequate tow vehicle??????

I'm a 57 year old teacher and am planning to retire in several years to live in an Airstream, travel, do environmentally-oriented volunteer activities, and just hang out in beautiful spots. I own a 2004 Chevy Silverado 4WD, short bed pickup with 5.3 liter V8, HD trailering equipment, 3.73 rear axle, and GVW rating of 6400 lb (according to the original window sticker). According to the original dealer brochure, my maximum trailer weight is 8200 lbs. The most recent Airstream brochure lists the UBW of a 25' Safari SE at 5210 lbs. In real world conditions, will my truck be able to tow this 25 footer, and are there disadvantages (or advantages) to towing with a short bed truck? I'm not interested in buying a new truck unless there are safety or other issues that I'm not aware of.
jrporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
THat truck will do just fine with a 25'r. I pull my 31' with an '06 express van (5.3L 3.73 HD) with no issues.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I have the exact same truck and do just fine towing with a short bed. My trailer is lighter than yours though.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
, Indiana
I started a thread just recently when we purchased our 31' sovereign..... It seems that some things needed to be done to our 1985 F-150 shortbed to tow our Airstream. We are contemplating doing the upgrades per some really good advice from other forum members... the following is what we plan on doing:

1. Putnam Receiver Hitch (about $162)
2. E-Q-Lizer (Equilizer) Weight distributing hitch attachment (about $358)
3. Fireside Ride Rite suspension helpers (about $234)
4. Fireside Ride Rite Level Command II (controls suspension helpers) (about $150)
5. P-3 Tekonsha Brake Controller (about $125)

Not sure if that helps but it may....
greg_n_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
That will probably work fine. You may need to add some towing accessories to your truck. Check out the threads on hitch systems and trailer brake controllers. These will be a must. There are a lot of choices out there.

Welcome to these Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Ypu'll find all the Airstream information that you need here.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Your truck will be fine. Just make sure you have and electric jack on the trailer as loading a Weight Distributing Hitch without it you will tend to misload the hitch and lose all of it's advantage.

I would advise against any form of air bags. If your hitch is set up right there is no reason for them.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:45 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
As far as I know (and I could be wrong), in 2004, GM did not make the 1500HD truck with a 5.3L engine. If you do in fact have the 1500HD, from what I understand, you have a 6.0L engine. If you are sure you have the 5.3L, then you simply have the 1500 (1/2 ton). Might have a HO engine (high output), but there are HUGE differences between HO and HD.

Now I don't have the 2004 1/2 specs (I had the sales brochure up until recently), but the 08 specs for the 5.3L are rated between 7400 to 7900 in terms of tow rating. I would expect the 08s to have equal or greater tow capacity to 04.

That all said, the newer 25' units will weigh, loaded on average, between 6300 and 7300lbs. For the sake of conversation, lets say you don't fill the 25' unit up to capacity and load it to 6500lbs, which is entirely possilbe and easy to do (I have a 25') Add about 200lbs per passenger, about 250lbs for fuel and then add any weight for cargo you might haul and you may fall around 7000lbs.

By numbers alone, you can tow it, but you are really getting into the 3/4 ton sandbox, where upgraded hubs, trans, engine differential (typically a full floating axle in the Silverado line), etc start to pay some benefits.

So yes you can tow it, but if you have any idea of going mountains, you might really consider the 2500HD. The numbers are pretty close at a 1500 IMHO.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Looks like a 25' SE is well within the specs of your truck. Transmission overheating is a commonly overlooked gremlin for 1/2 ton towing so you may want to consider a tranny fluid temperature guage to keep an eye on it. If needed, a tranny cooler upgrade is not too expensive.

I'd also suggest 4:10 gears - but you could hold off on that until after you see how the Chevy tows.

.......Scott
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:44 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
I don't have an HD but the window sticker lists HD trailering equipment. This includes a switch on the transmission shifter for towing mode.......
jrporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:50 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

I have found the Firestone RideRite air suspension very helpful in tweaking the tongue height to the optimal level when the weight transfer bars leave a less-than-desirable level gap. The air springs have proven to be well worth the investment to me, and are a lot easier to manipulate than moving the ball angle up-and-down when the hitch weight varies due to truck or trailer loading requirements.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:01 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor , Michigan
Hello Everyone, I'm another newbie to trailer towing and this is my first post to this site (which has been very, very informative, thank you). I actually signed on this evening to post a question very similar to jrporter's. My TV is also a 2004 (Avalanche, though) with trailering package, 5.3L, 3.73 axle. It's a Z66 2WD but it has the Z82 suspension which I believe is the trailering suspension. My wife and I toured the Airstream factory on Monday and walked through a bunch of different size trailers on the assembly line. We went down there to look at 16's and 19's but really fell for the 25' (sound familiar?). I expect that the information you have given jrporter is pretty much what you would give me, so I'm thinking maybe I'd better back down to the 23' or even a 20'. My truck may be a little less capable than his. One question he asked, however, didn't get answered. It's puzzled me from other threads as well. Just what is the relationship between TV wheelbase and trailer length (if any). People keep saying that short wheelbases TVs are not as good as long wheelbase ones, but I don't understand the physics involved. My understanding is that the Avalanche is built on the short wheel based Tahoe chassis, so I guess I fall into that category. Thanks for any information you can provide.
wannaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaB
Hello Everyone, I'm another newbie to trailer towing and this is my first post to this site (which has been very, very informative, thank you). I actually signed on this evening to post a question very similar to jrporter's. My TV is also a 2004 (Avalanche, though) with trailering package, 5.3L, 3.73 axle. It's a Z66 2WD but it has the Z82 suspension which I believe is the trailering suspension. My wife and I toured the Airstream factory on Monday and walked through a bunch of different size trailers on the assembly line. We went down there to look at 16's and 19's but really fell for the 25' (sound familiar?). I expect that the information you have given jrporter is pretty much what you would give me, so I'm thinking maybe I'd better back down to the 23' or even a 20'. My truck may be a little less capable than his. One question he asked, however, didn't get answered. It's puzzled me from other threads as well. Just what is the relationship between TV wheelbase and trailer length (if any). People keep saying that short wheelbases TVs are not as good as long wheelbase ones, but I don't understand the physics involved. My understanding is that the Avalanche is built on the short wheel based Tahoe chassis, so I guess I fall into that category. Thanks for any information you can provide.
wannaB,

IMO if you have towed anything before, and you know what you are doing behind the wheel your truck will pull a 25' just fine. I do not beleive in double or triple tolerancing things. The longer wheel base means it takes a little more time to get squirly and out of control, they also track straighter.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter
I don't have an HD but the window sticker lists HD trailering equipment. This includes a switch on the transmission shifter for towing mode.......
Then you have a 1500, not a 1500HD. The 1500HD is essentially "3/4 ton" truck.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #14
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaB
Hello Everyone...
hi wannab and welcome to the forums...

up to a 25 your tv will work, it will just be SLOW in the hills with the wimpy engine...

as to the 'length vs wheelbase' issue...

here are the numerical suggestions, but keep in mind they are only guidelines,

and many things go into making a good or bad tv/trailer combo (the rig)...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/219479-post15.html

so pick out the 'stream you WANT and then update the tv as needed.

don't 'buy down' to the towing vehicle unless it's the last one you'll ever own.

there are several folks here towing with that thing,

so search using "avalanche" in the 'tow vehicle' forum and their threads will appear...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:54 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
waynesboro , Virginia
I have an 02 chevy same specs as yours... and i pulled a 26' wilderness trailer no problems... easily 65-70 down the road with a sway bar and torque levelers..... i installed a set of monroe overload shocks... the ones with coil springs on the top... which helped the sag out a lot... i also towed a 27' 5th wheel behind it before i got my 345 moho.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:05 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
It really all depends on where you plan to tow. We have a 19 foot Bambi and had no problems with towing it up and down the coast of California with an F-150 with 3.55 rear end (all that was offered the first year the Supercrew was introduced}. Towing in the mountains is a whole other story. Brakes were inadequate and acceleration from pull-outs to let traffic pass was a nighmare. It sounds like overkill, but we upgraded to a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel (I know, way overkill) and towing has become much less "white knuckle" than it use to be and there is nowhere I fear to tread. Half ton is fine for flatland and medium pulls, but anyting serious in altitude gain and you'll find a 3/4 ton makes the trip much less worrysome.
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:22 PM   #17
_

. , .
ride on! johnco....

overkill is just the right amount...

and leaves no doubt !

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Wannabe

Your Avalanch is the same wheel base and rear overhang as a Suburban which thousands of people tow with it will not have any problem with a 25' Airstream as long as it is connected properly.

Andy
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:57 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor , Michigan
Thanks, Everyone. This has been very helpful. According to the TVWB/Trailer guidelines you cited it looks like the 25' is right at the top of the 130"WB of the Avalanche. I do live in the flatlands, but would like to think I could go to the mountains if I wanted to. I hear you re the Slooooow nature of the 5.3L engine with a 25. It's important for me to hear that. In '67 I bought a new Mercedes Benz Diesel car (yup, I'm that old). We drove it for 95,000 miles before trading it in on a gas model. It was a great car and in perfect shape when we sold it. I occasionally brag about how the cost of fuel for all those miles worked out to an even 1 cent a mile. But, the engine was rated at about 60 HP by the standards used in those days. Pulling onto a freeway ramp you could floor the accelerator and absolutely NOTHING would happen. Eventually, I just couldn't take it anymore. I was always looking out the rearview mirror to see if some semi was going to crawl up the trunk. On the other hand, I appreciate the wisdom of buying a trailer I won't want to trade in a couple of years. Looks like we have some thinking to do. First thing will be to crawl around in some 23Ds or 20s to see if one of those would make us happy. Another option would be to cut our trailering teeth pulling a 25 around the flatlands for a few years and them bump up to a stronger truck. I truly appreciate your input. How did people make these decisions before the internet? Maybe they were just less informed at the outset.
wannaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #20

1967 20' Globetrotter
hendersonville , North Carolina
will a 2004 jeep grand cherokee overland with a v8 4.7l o.h. pull a 20 foot 1967 globetrotter
step0388 is offline   Reply With Quote