Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0388
will a 2004 jeep grand cherokee overland with a v8 4.7l o.h. pull a 20 foot 1967 globetrotter
I pulled our '75 23' Safari with an '04 Dodge 1/2 ton short cab, short bed, with the same engine as you have, and it did fine with the possible exception of in the mountains. The problem I found with the Dodge was I could not manually select 3rd from OD with the transmission selector, and the thing was constantly hunting back and forth between 3rd and OD. What I finally learned to do was on the steep high grades, slow down to 50 MPH, manually select 2nd gear, and then drive with the tach on 3000 RPM, and it did great. The trailer you are discussing is shorter, lighter, and will pull much easier because it is single axle, and with that said, I think you will have no problems as long as you have a good hitch and brake controller.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:41 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Although I've done a lot of camping, I've done minimal RV camping. To start out, I could see myself using the Airstream as a winter home somwhere along the southern coast and a summer home somewhere along the New England (Bar Harbor comes to mind) coast as opposed to doing a lot of travel per se, especially given the current and future price of gas..........
jrporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_n_sam View Post
I started a thread just recently when we purchased our 31' sovereign..... It seems that some things needed to be done to our 1985 F-150 shortbed to tow our Airstream. We are contemplating doing the upgrades per some really good advice from other forum members... the following is what we plan on doing:

1. Putnam Receiver Hitch (about $162)
2. E-Q-Lizer (Equilizer) Weight distributing hitch attachment (about $358)
3. Fireside Ride Rite suspension helpers (about $234)
4. Fireside Ride Rite Level Command II (controls suspension helpers) (about $150)
5. P-3 Tekonsha Brake Controller (about $125)

Not sure if that helps but it may....

A blower or supercharger would help as well. I have a 1990 F150 w/ 302 and it is a dog/no power. Only has 180 hp, if you pull any serious grades you will be doing about 25-30 mph. Have fun.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote