Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2018, 10:09 PM   #181
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNdebbie View Post
They did not have the Michelin‘s in the size of my wheels so I got the Goodyear endurance tires. The ride back home was fine but the Safari seemed a little bouncy and not quite as stable. They set the pressure at 80 psi. Has anyone set the tire pressure lower and this make a difference in the ride? The factory is 2 1/2 hours from where we live and we were moving along fairly quickly. My wife agreed that the sweet spot for the MDX seems to be fourth gear at 4000 RPM on the highway. Good acceleration power at that RPM and no slow down on mild grades. That did run as at 73-75 mph and gas mileage was an abysmal 9 miles per gallon.
In a sense, the air carries the weight, not the tire. Check the load carrying capacity, and search for a tire pressure/weight chart online. You can probably dial the pressure back to 50 with no problem. Note that the tires on your car will have a max inflation pressure of 44 or 51 psi, but you still follow the manufacturer's recommendations on the door sticker or in the manual - usually in the 32 to 38 psi range, maybe a bit higher for heavy loads and higher speeds.

I looked at the gear ratios and torque. I can see why you like using 4th because you can climb decent highway grades without downshifting, and Honda engines love to rev, so I don't think you're doing any harm; however, there should be enough torque left over in 5th at about 65-70 mph to climb moderate grades up to a bit more than 1% without a downshift. This would drop the revs to a peaceful 2400-2600, and fuel economy should rise dramatically. I should think that 14 mpg will be easy, with light winds.

FWIW, I towed with a manual transmission Volvo S60 for a number of years; 3300 rpm in 4th at 65, 15-16 mpg. The car is still around with about 180,000 miles on it, and the engine is fine.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:23 PM   #182
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwpaquette View Post
How about in lieu of people conjecturing what they think TVs will do in this thread, we stick to what our TVs do and perhaps the stories behind why we chose our TVs? The whole debate of pickup truck is overkill vs. any car can tow with the right hitch setup has pretty well played itself out. What I appreciate most in this forum is real world experience and I use the data points of all of you as well as my own experience as the input to my decisions and actions.

++++++++++1!

Well said.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:20 AM   #183
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Thanks Bob. I guess we were ready to get home. I’ll try 70psi. I put the question out to Andrew T. as well. I don’t have a TPMS yet. How much are they? Any recommendations?
This is the one I chose. Nice size monitor, good features at a fair price. It usually picks up the signal within a couple min at most. The monitor has very good charge life, no cables messing up the dash.
SFSG

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-20-2018, 04:56 AM   #184
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
20 mph over the Ohio towing speed limit and 1000 lbs over the vehicle tow rating @ sustained 4000 RPM.
Yikes.
Most places in Ohio are 70mph

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:09 AM   #185
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF View Post
In a sense, the air carries the weight, not the tire. Check the load carrying capacity, and search for a tire pressure/weight chart online. You can probably dial the pressure back to 50 with no problem. Note that the tires on your car will have a max inflation pressure of 44 or 51 psi, but you still follow the manufacturer's recommendations on the door sticker or in the manual - usually in the 32 to 38 psi range, maybe a bit higher for heavy loads and higher speeds.

I looked at the gear ratios and torque. I can see why you like using 4th because you can climb decent highway grades without downshifting, and Honda engines love to rev, so I don't think you're doing any harm; however, there should be enough torque left over in 5th at about 65-70 mph to climb moderate grades up to a bit more than 1% without a downshift. This would drop the revs to a peaceful 2400-2600, and fuel economy should rise dramatically. I should think that 14 mpg will be easy, with light winds.

FWIW, I towed with a manual transmission Volvo S60 for a number of years; 3300 rpm in 4th at 65, 15-16 mpg. The car is still around with about 180,000 miles on it, and the engine is fine.

Thanks for the advise. I will check a tire pressure/weight chart and see about setting the psi back for the Safari tires. Originally I had our MDX tires at 32 psi. The max is 50 psi. Can Am had them set for 40 psi. and that does seem to give a better road feel. If the MDX tires warm up and psi goes to 45 it does feel like too much. The MDX gives mer our tire pressure and I monitor that.

On or trip west we plan to slow it down to around 60 mph since we will be on byways more than highways. I didn’t realize that Ohio has a law that for TV/TT combos the speed limit is 55 if you are over 8000 lbs. Must not apply to semi trucks? So I will need to drop back my speed. Better mileage, more enjoyment. I did tow at the same speed in 5th gear for comparison but the mileage actually worsened [emoji848]. I figured with lower rpm’s it would improve.
SteveNdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:21 AM   #186
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Thanks for the advise. I will check a tire pressure/weight chart and see about setting the psi back for the Safari tires. Originally I had our MDX tires at 32 psi. The max is 50 psi. Can Am had them set for 40 psi. and that does seem to give a better road feel. If the MDX tires warm up and psi goes to 45 it does feel like too much. The MDX gives mer our tire pressure and I monitor that.

On or trip west we plan to slow it down to around 60 mph since we will be on byways more than highways. I didn’t realize that Ohio has a law that for TV/TT combos the speed limit is 55 if you are over 8000 lbs. Must not apply to semi trucks? So I will need to drop back my speed. Better mileage, more enjoyment. I did tow at the same speed in 5th gear for comparison but the mileage actually worsened [emoji848]. I figured with lower rpm’s it would improve.
Your efficacy is reduced in 5th gear because you are lugging the engine. It’s like going up a big hill in top gear- the fuel is being consumed, but no increase in speed. It is very hard on your engine.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:24 AM   #187
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Most places in Ohio are 70mph
But not for towing heavier rigs. Many States have restricted towing speed limits.
It’s only a problem if you get a ticket...
brick
Old 07-20-2018, 05:47 AM   #188
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I didn’t realize that Ohio has a law that for TV/TT combos the speed limit is 55 if you are over 8000 lbs. Must not apply to semi trucks?
From AAA:

55 mph is the maximum speed for any vehicle or vehicle combination that weighs over 8,000 lbs.

It's certainly not well-publicized.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:52 AM   #189
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Acura MDX towing

Running 75 when towing with any vehicle will only get you to gas stations faster. I think you will find 65 gets you under 3000 RPM and 12+ mpg.

40 - 45 PSI is plenty in the Endurance tires with a 25 Safari.

Andy

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:19 AM   #190
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Running 75 when towing with any vehicle will only get you to gas stations faster. I think you will find 65 gets you under 3000 RPM and 12+ mpg.

Andy

I’ll try slower and save paddle shifting for steeper grades. I did get 12-13 mpg on route 33 in WV and VA; we definitely slowed it down there.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:00 AM   #191
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Only if you have autonomous collision avoidance technology. I don't think they have that in any stock 3/4 or 1 ton pickup trucks yet.
My F-250 has autonomous collision avoidance system, its called the "Alert Driver" .
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:34 AM   #192
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
My F-250 has autonomous collision avoidance system, its called the "Alert Driver" .
Being an alert driver is certainly a good step in collision avoidance, however, that does not really meet the definition of autonomous.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:43 AM   #193
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Sorry, but a large truck is not going to decrease your stopping distance. Because of the added weight of the truck vs the Cadillac it will actually increase the stopping distance and also a truck has less stability creating a greater risk for a loss-of-control rollover in a similar circumstance.
Quote:
Only if you have autonomous collision avoidance technology. I don't think they have that in any stock 3/4 or 1 ton pickup trucks yet.
You need to re-read your intitial post. It clearly states a large truck is not going to decrease your stopping distance. After being proven incorrect in your assertion, you are trying to change what you posted.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:36 AM   #194
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post

Andy

Looking at a tire pressure chart for double axel looks like I can take the weight of the trailer divided by 4 although with the Hensley hitch the MDX takes on some weight. Is that why it is better to put the TV tire pressure higher?

Steve
Old 07-20-2018, 11:42 AM   #195
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
My new truck has the same feature!
brick
Old 07-20-2018, 01:09 PM   #196
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
PU Trucks Don't Stop In Shorter Distance Than SUV

I apologize to the OP for the thread hijack by @overlander63, but it appears that the arguments have gone from merely being obtuse to trolling and they need rebuttal to help stop the spread of FUD with respect to SUVs as tow vehicles.

I also apologize to you, @overlander63, and everyone else if my post wasn't written more explicitly so that one actually wouldn't have to read the quoted post to be able grasp the inference.

Please, @overlander63, read the posts quoted below and you will clearly see that I quoted @tojimmiller and my post was referring to his wife's GMC 3/4 ton truck, not tractor-trailers (or any vehicle with autonomous collision avoidance systems.)

I stand to be corrected if you are able to show any relevant reports that show that a stock 3/4 or 1 ton pickup truck can out stop a Cadillac Escalade? One report shows that a 2008 Escalade will stop from 60 mph in 142 feet, whereas a Chevrolet 3.4 Ton truck will take 146.4 ft empty and 150.1 ft loaded. (Ford F250 and Ram are unfortunately even a longer stopping distance.) Clearly the "Big 3" pickup trucks will not stop in a shorter distance than an a Cadillac SUV.

Furthermore, the video (a Volvo tractor-trailer with autonomous collision avoidance) that you posted in rebuttal does not show a decreased stopping distance of a truck vs a car or SUV, but only that an autonomous collision avoidance system works to avoid a low speed (60 km/h) collision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojimmiller View Post
... she couldn’t stop �� in time. Now she drivers a GMC 3/4 ton truck and might go to a 1 ton in the future
Quote:
Sorry, but a large truck is not going to decrease your stopping distance. Because of the added weight of the truck vs the Cadillac it will actually increase the stopping distance and also a truck has less stability creating a greater risk for a loss-of-control rollover in a similar circumstance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
You need to re-read your intitial post. It clearly states a large truck is not going to decrease your stopping distance. After being proven incorrect in your assertion, you are trying to change what you posted.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:48 PM   #197
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
I apologize to the OP for the thread hijack by @overlander63, but it appears that the arguments have gone from merely being obtuse to trolling and they need rebuttal to help stop the spread of FUD with respect to SUVs as tow vehicles.

I also apologize to you, @overlander63, and everyone else if my post wasn't written more explicitly so that one actually wouldn't have to read the quoted post to be able grasp the inference.

Please, @overlander63, read the posts quoted below and you will clearly see that I quoted @tojimmiller and my post was referring to his wife's GMC 3/4 ton truck, not tractor-trailers (or any vehicle with autonomous collision avoidance systems.)

I stand to be corrected if you are able to show any relevant reports that show that a stock 3/4 or 1 ton pickup truck can out stop a Cadillac Escalade? One report shows that a 2008 Escalade will stop from 60 mph in 142 feet, whereas a Chevrolet 3.4 Ton truck will take 146.4 ft empty and 150.1 ft loaded. (Ford F250 and Ram are unfortunately even a longer stopping distance.) Clearly the "Big 3" pickup trucks will not stop in a shorter distance than an a Cadillac SUV.

Furthermore, the video (a Volvo tractor-trailer with autonomous collision avoidance) that you posted in rebuttal does not show a decreased stopping distance of a truck vs a car or SUV, but only that an autonomous collision avoidance system works to avoid a low speed (60 km/h) collision.

Is the Escalade stopping distance with or without a load on the hitch?
Interesting that the Chevy 3/4 ton stopping distance only increased 3.7 ft with a load.
brick
Old 07-20-2018, 02:03 PM   #198
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Amherst , New Hampshire
Quote:
What's missing in these test numbers is an airstream behind the vehicles. I wonder what the stopping distances would be. My Miata with summer tires stops much shorter than my truck (around 125 feet from tests on all seasons), but I assume if I hitched up the airstream that would not continue to hold true. Likewise things could change between the Escalade and Chevy 3/4 ton when towing.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:58 PM   #199
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Adventure.AS - I’ve read your posts in various threads regarding the setups you provide, and the responses to your recommendations. I can see that you are truly passionate about your craft and believe in what you are doing. I also recognize that you may be the only organization who’ll outfit a car/suv like this - which puts you into a unique situation of increased scrutiny. If I may, I’d Like to offer a suggestion.

I don’t believe that quick rebuttals on forum posts will sway the masses to your view with much success. Actual data and real-world experience from your setups would go a long way towards dispelling FUD around your product. For instance, you test each towing upgrade against over 40 specifications, and have for years. Why not provide that data on your website so we can review the parameters you utilize against specific vehicle performance? Or borrow the “TFL Truck” YouTube format where they do standardized, read-world towing tests on camera, deomstrating the basic towing experience and expectations: 0-60 time, stopping ability, towing at speed flat, towing up a 7% grade, towing down a 7% grade, engine/transmission/brake temperature, etc. TFL’s approach isn’t aggressively scientific - yet effectively provides baseline expectations for particular a setup.

Either of these approaches (or ideally, both) would present fertile ground for a reasonable, intelligent discussion of your towing solutions.
gsp_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:25 AM   #200
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
20 mph over the Ohio towing speed limit and 1000 lbs over the vehicle tow rating @ sustained 4000 RPM.
Yikes.
Speed limit 70 most places in Ohio.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote