Old 07-15-2018, 02:35 PM   #99
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
Take a vacation to Australia. You will see a never ending stream of giant RV's being hauled up mountain passes by cars and SUV's. They can be mobile road blocks. But the safety statistics speak for themselves. Everyone seems to be doing it OK.

Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #100
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by labans View Post
The Acura manufacturer stated weight of that vehicle is 4,600 lbs. -- snip --.
Lebans - the gross on the MDX is 5690. Pat

PKI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:45 PM   #101
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Lebans - the gross on the MDX is 5690. Pat
Curb weight is the 4600 lb number. 5690 would be GVWR.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Agreed. Lots of posters saying it canít be done, while others are just out doing it.

The MDX is built on the same platform as the Pilot and the Odyssey. Isnít there an Odyssey documented on here that was pulling a 34 tri axle for extended time and distance?

Take it easy on the hills out west, manage the payload, and the OP can tow just fine.
The set up the OP is proposing will be a tail wagging the dog situation.
Will it work for short trips yes. Staying on the road for an extended trip especially out west will be a white knucle ride guaranteed. Not a very enjoyable experience.
He is arguing this in the wrong direction. Don't get sucked into the how small can I go justification. The overwhelming consensus gained through experience by many on this forum is just the opposite.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:00 PM   #103
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
The set up the OP is proposing will be a tail wagging the dog situation.
Will it work for short trips yes. Staying on the road for an extended trip especially out west will be a white knucle ride guaranteed. Not a very enjoyable experience.
He is arguing this in the wrong direction. Don't get sucked into the how small can I go justification. The overwhelming consensus gained through experience by many on this forum is just the opposite.
+1
brick
Old 07-15-2018, 04:11 PM   #104
1 Rivet Member

manchaca , Texas
Please Consider

SteveNDebbie:
I think nearly all the posters here are trying their best to help you with a new situation. In that frame I want to ask you to do one thing, before you commence on a cross-country trip.
I have taught driving skills for over 50 years.
One item that I teach that is nearly impossible to find anywhere is the real-life knowledge of what YOUR particular car will do in emergency situations. I only teach this skill to drivers after they have certified all other categories and are comfortable with driving.
Here it is:
Take your vehicle (in your case with trailer loaded and attached) to a parking lot the size of a football stadium that is empty. Do this only right after a solid rain or during a rainstorm. Take the vehicle up to speed in a straight line and then at freeway speed (50-60 mph) slam on the brakes and see what happens. Do this a couple of times in a straight line. Do this with wife in front seat.
Try this again at 30 mph only begin a slight turn and then slam on the brakes and see what happens.

I am not being a smartass. This closely simulates what you might very well face out on the highway some day and you need to know IN ADVANCE just what the TV and trailer are going to do and how they will react.
I still remember as a youngster driving a 1970 Cadillac sedan on a California freeway at 65 mph in the rain when I saw the traffic stopped in front of me.
I had good tires yet when I applied the brakes the car continued at the same speed as the car was hydroplaning. That happened only once as I learned a lesson. Since then I have never driven a car I planned to own without doing the parking lot test---only I am quite a bit more thorough than I suggest you try.

But please, test this all out before you hit the road. You will benefit more than you can imagine and others on the road will be safer.
labans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:13 PM   #105
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Just a couple of things. 50 PSI in the trailer tires is plenty. How old are they? There is a date stamp on the tires. If they are more than 6 years old I would suggest replacing them with Michelin P235/75R x 15 Defenders.

When going down steep hills 12% or more you will likely need first gear at 4000 rpm for engine braking. Turning the AC on helps as well. Often drivers start riding the brakes when the engine reaches 2500 or so. If you need the brakes to slow for a switchback that is fine but let the rpm go back up between them.

For fuel range when I head west I carry a 3 or 4 gallon Jerry can behind the LP tanks on top of the batteries that I almost never use. This allows me to use the entire fuel tank in the tow vehicle. So if my distance to empty read out says I have 60 miles left and there is a town in 50 I can go ahead and drive the extra 50 miles knowing Iíve got 50 miles more in reserve.

Andy
Thought it handles the weight fine? 1st gear? never thought to use my AC for braking.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:16 PM   #106
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
My C6 corvette handles great. Think I will put a 10,000 lb rated hitch on it and tow my 28.
Trucks are overrated...
brick
Old 07-15-2018, 04:17 PM   #107
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
Thought it handles the weight fine? 1st gear? never thought to use my AC for braking.
Also turn it off when climbing a steep hill with trailer in tow. The 5hp or so saved can help get you to the top more easily, and less drag will help the engine run slightly cooler.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:36 PM   #108
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
My C6 corvette handles great. Think I will put a 10,000 lb rated hitch on it and tow my 28.
Trucks are overrated...
brick
The C6 is reported to only be capable of towing a 6000lbs 23. For the 28, you need a Chrysler 300 or Dodge charger with the HEMI. But you got that over-rated point right. Pat
PKI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:09 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
The C6 is reported to only be capable of towing a 6000lbs 23. For the 28, you need a Chrysler 300 or Dodge charger with the HEMI. But you got that over-rated point right. Pat
And off the deep end we go.

Tow Vehicle: Ram Laramie 2500 crew cab, Cummins 6.7 Turbodiesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:30 PM   #110
4 Rivet Member

Mountain View , California
Australia or Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermy1987 View Post
Take a vacation to Australia. You will see a never ending stream of giant RV's being hauled up mountain passes by cars and SUV's. They can be mobile road blocks. But the safety statistics speak for themselves. Everyone seems to be doing it OK.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:33 PM   #111
4 Rivet Member

Mountain View , California
Your corvette would handle MUCH better than truck. But you will never know...

You are right, truck are overrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
Trucks are overrated...
brick
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:10 PM   #112
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Smithville , Texas
Well said:
This subject comes up over and over ad nauseam.
My job is to get my family there and back safely. I once argued with the guy who said his Odyssey was a better AS tow vehicle than my F-350 diesel. Actually I only argued until I knew he was serious, than backed off.
We are on our third tow vehicle. F-150 5.7 did a fine job, but not in the mountains. I'm on my second Ford 6.7 diesel. My 2016 F-350 has 80,000 miles on it in 2 1/2 years, mostly towing our AS. Love that engine brake, love that power, and love that stability. This is supposed to be fun, but more important SAFE. My five years as a first responder convinced me I do not want to be cut out of a vehicle. To hell with the cost. If you can't afford the sport, don't play.

Matt Kline is offline   Reply With Quote