Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
About To Pull The Trigger On A 2002 Ford F350 XL 7.3 Turbo Diesel

Hello Streamers-

We're about to pull the trigger on a 2002 Ford F350 XL 7.3 Turbo Diesel Super Cab.

It's a monster compared to our old 1996 Dodge 2500, which lost its transmission while we were on our way to the NorCal Casini Ranch rally almost two weeks ago. (We didn't want to spend $3700 for a new transmission, only to have the truck worth all of $4000 afterwards.)

It's huge-seriously, we can both sleep in the rear passenger seating area. We think we need to practice making three or four point u-turns.

We thought the 7.3 would be more than capable for towing any of our Airstreams and some of the crazy heavy stuff we sometimes bring when towing them, i.e., a golf cart for Burning Man. We plan on traveling throughout the west coast and would like the assurance that we can handle the high passes, without dropping another transmission.

Any advice? As always, any insight would be appreciated.

Your friends,
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 2002 Ford F350 XL 7.3 Diesel Driver's Side 042010.bmp (900.1 KB, 194 views)
Old 04-20-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I like those new type utility boxes that match the truck instead of the old square ones. Looks good, enjoy towing with it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
I'd say go for it. The extra interior space and the utility style bed are a plus.
The 7.3 is bullet proof, you could tow your Tradewind and the Caravanner together!
7.3= no replacement for displacement
Go ahead, pull the trigger!
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:21 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

A well-cared-for 7.3 is often described as bulletproof, and I agree. I've owned one since 1996. It is powerful and provides good fuel economy.

However, the auto transmission is noted as the weak point of these vehicles. It was a good transmission, but they were not labeled bulletproof (whatever that means). There's no assurance you won't have future troubles, but isn't that true of anything?

Good luck with your new vehicle. I think you'll be a happy camper.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:57 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Nice looking truck. I really like the built-in tool boxes. Those should come in really handy when towing.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

I have a 2000 diesel Excursion (same engine and transmission as the vehicle you are looking at). I am at 180,000 miles with the original transmission. Zero repairs to it. I do change the fluid every 60,000 miles. I also tow only 6000 pounds.
A friend in the excavating business uses Super Duties. He tows much heavier and his vehicles are often driven by leadfoot kids. His transmissions go at about 100000 miles.
His cost of repair is about $3500 for a Ford remanufactured transmission.
You didn't mention the mileage and the maintainence history of the vehicle you are looking at. The life of the transmission and other repairs needed will depend and the care and use the vehicle has received.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Gemma, the hound that I am, (I should be a detective) found your truck listed here:
wEB bUY aUTO... One stop shop for used vehicles
Have you run the vin number yet?
Jeff
Old 04-21-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Super Sleuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalview View Post
Gemma, the hound that I am, (I should be a detective) found your truck listed here:
wEB bUY aUTO... One stop shop for used vehicles
Have you run the vin number yet?
Jeff
Jeff,

You're quite the super sleuth!

Yes, that's the truck, and yes, we did run the VIN through CarFax. It looks like it was a fleet vehicle from Brentwood, California that was routinely maintained through the Brentwood dealership.

We put the truck through its paces, with the exception of taking it up a steep grade (where are there step grades in the San Jose/Silicon Valley area?). It performed fine, although it did seem to pull a little to the left. The dealer is taking care of that issue today. The truck's mileage (216,639) was a concern for us, but from what we understand, diesel motors have a significantly longer life, compared to gas engines, if they've been taken care of.

We'd love a new 2011 F350 XLSuper Crew Diesel but don't have $50,000, not including taxes, registration, license and fees, just sitting in our checking account-even with 0% percent interest for 5 years. Our budget was actually $0, since the truck will be an unexpected, but necessary, expense.

What do you think?
Old 04-21-2010, 10:31 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
danville , California
I would be worried about the milage only concerning the tranny. My old mans got an 01 f350 and he has had troubles with the front main seal when pulling his 24 ft TT up windy mountain roads, the tranny overheats and dumps all the fluid. O have seen a couple people with this problem, now its not to expensive to replace after all its just a seal but its a good thing to be prepaird for. Also the 350 comes with a different transmission than the 250/excusion.

If your looking to take the truck up a steep grade, try mt hamilton its close. Other than that there isnt much.
gmwelder86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Have you gave them an offer yet?
8750 + fees is where I would start
unless your heading back to climb Mt. Hamilton
Never talk dollars and cents with a dealer, they don't, just numbers
Old 04-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
Great Truck. Stay on top of the fluid changes and have a great and safe time on the road.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:36 PM   #12
One good book daily...

2008 27' Classic FB
San Francisco , California
Get Oil Analysis

It is expected that diesel engines have at least twice the life of gas engines properly maintained, as you may already know. I would ask what major problems have been encountered and how fixes/adjustments were made during the Trucks life.
The best bet is to check the service records for the Truck. Ask specifically for records of oil analysis.
If oil analysis data is available then it should give you indication of existing problems or issues with the engine. If oil analysis data is NOT available, then I would suggest you get a oil sample and get the an analysis done prior to purchase…if the oil has not been changed recently.

Oil analysis can show condition of engine: fuel, dirt, antifreeze, bearing wear, use of non-diesel lube, etc. Most major truck fleets use oil analysis as preventive maintenance or anticipate maintenance costs.
A clean engine bay, truck exterior, and underbody... and and good oil analysis results is a good indication of proper care IMHO.
Good Luck. Ted
moymew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:52 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Have a transmission cooler added, and a transmission temp gauge added too. Most important to keep the transmission temp under whatever temp they reccommend.
Watch your power steering fluid level, most trucks that mileage have a power steering fluid leak around the brake booster, the brake booster uses power steering fluid from the power steering pump. Mine started to growl today, sure enough was low on p.s. fluid.
What kind of Mutant Vehicle are you going to hide that golf cart under at BM? There sure are some fantastic ones we're processing through the DMV tonight. One looks like a whole city, over a golf cart changed into a steam engine. Another one is the Chrysler Building, can't tell there is a golf cart under it. Hope to see ya at BM Metropolis.
Perry

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Um, . . . How Do We Drive It?

Bob, Jeff, Airstreamer67, Brian, handn, gmwelder86, Rebee, Ted and Perry,

Thank you for your advice, insight and kind words of encouragement. We considered all of the feedback you provided and did the deal!

So far we love it. The cab is huge-the most interior room we've ever had in any of our vehicles. The ride is smooth and comfortable. It handles well, you can really feel the torque, in a good way, although it seems to be louder than a gas engine. The alignment was repaired and new tie rods were installed. It drives straight! Murray really likes the utility boxes, Gemma appreciates the passenger side interior grab bar to give her a boost into the cab.

Okay, now how do we drive this thing? What's this we hear about warming up and cooling down? Can we really boost mpg by removing the particulate filter from the exhaust? How do we do that, and um, if we do do that, how do we reconcile that we our tree hugging convictions? Oh, and we're definitely going to be pros at making three/'four point u-turns. (Not a question, just a statement.)

As always, your advice and insight is appreciated.

Your friends,
Old 04-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #15
Roadtrain O--O~(--ooo--)

2000 34' Limited
1979 31' Excella 500
Miamisburg , Ohio
Hi folks, congrats on the new beast. I have several in the fleet at work and they are GTG
if you make the trip to the black rock desert later this year, it's a good idea to have a spare engine air filter to install as soon as possible on the way out.
Mine was almost plugged and we were blowing smoke and getting low MPG until it was changed.
The regenerative particulate filters for the exhaust are post 2007 so don't sweat that.
Best advice for mileage is use synthetic oil SJ rated Rotella or Mobil 1 diesel or others that are equal. a ECM tuner or chip "can" boost mileage if you drive conservetivly
If turbo equipped a little cool down before shutoff is good practice, also a short warmup in cold weather (like any engine).
I would change any and all fluids with the miles that are on it esp the rear end, trans, power steering, use synthetic if possible, expensive but worth it IMHO. If the radiator fluid hasen't been changed recently it is due
Keep the running gear lubricated, tie rods, ball joints, idlers etc
Inspect the brakes and spare tire.
Best regards,

"Gimmie fourty acres and i'll turn this rig around" You'll get used to it!
AIR #12881
TAC OH-10
ebair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #16
_

. , .
congrats on da new monster truck, looks like a keeper...

there is no DPF on the 7.3

this engine is PRE the newer emissions standards (ALL of them)

it is also PRE the ultra low sulfur fuel

and it's loud because the COMPRESSION for diesels is higher,

so the EXPLOSION of fuel/air under pressure is greater...

that's the basis and basic of diesel combustion (no spark plugs)

keep the filters and lubricants UP to date and give the turbo 1-2 minutes of IDLE time to cool down...

after hard driving.

don't let it idle very long ANYTIME.

1-2 minutes at start up MAX (in cold weather) and just get going...

there are chips, exhaust enhancements, air box tweaks, gear mods and 1000s of aftermarkets doo dads for this truck.

but the best place 4 CYBER advice is on one of the many forums dedicated to this vehicle....

i like the YAHOO powerstroke group for reliable advice from a ford MASTER level mechanic...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PowerStroke/

but there are a dozen popular powerstroke forums out there.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Alright! Glad you made the deal and moved into to a diesel to boot.
There are so many things you can do to enhance these powerstroke's like 2air has mentioned, but you may just want to enjoy it in its stock form for now.
My older 97 is tweaked a bit and there is a noticeable difference from stock.
It's been doing the job effortlessly for 13 years with the additions and my transmission is doing fine even though it is the weakest link in the drivetrain.
Get some updated photos with an Airstream attached OK?
Old 04-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #18
_

. , .
Quote:
...you may just want to enjoy it in its stock form for now...
i agree, just drive it (tow with it) awhile and get familiar with the beast in it's natural state.

MOST of the useful enhancements will end up costing 500-1000$ for EACH system.

for example a chip is only 2-400$ but really needs a set of gauges so there's another 3-400$...

and none of the tweaks add to the resale value IF it this turns out not 2b a keeper.

buy some detailing supplies and CLEAN and SHINE that sucker, inside and out and UNDER...

the hours spent doing this will get u VERY familiar with it and it will look PRETTY when done.

cleannpretty=faster, smoother and happy truck

the guy who runs the yahoo group has his own webpage

with ALL the important tips/issues and info on this tractor engine (yes it's an international harvester)

dieselmann's Page

lots to read there and digest and FREE...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:49 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Airstream Attached

Quote:
Alright! Glad you made the deal and moved into to a diesel to boot.

Get some updated photos with an Airstream attached OK?
Well, we thought why not go for a drive with the new truck? So we did . . . to Yosemite!

It drove great and handled the passes well.

Thanks for everyone's advice about driving our new to us truck, the information was very helpful.

So how do we boost mileage? Based on our calculations, we averaged 10.6 miles per gallon, and that was without water in our tanks and a golf cart in the back of the bed. We did however drive over the speed limit and although we did drive through passes (highway 140), it seemed the change in elevation was gradual instead of ascending up very steep grades.

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1976 Caravanner at Yosemite Northside Drive.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	360.9 KB
ID:	101435  
Old 04-28-2010, 04:08 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Western , Washington
7.3 diesel