Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
Orlando , Florida
About to give up...

On Friday, the hubby and I signed a contract on a 2009 19' Flying Cloud Bambi. We love to travel, and it would be the perfect "second home" for us. It has a GVWR of 4500 lbs.

What I didn't anticipate was that trying to decide on a tow vehicle would be so overwhelming. Our Airstream dealer keeps saying that "any V6 SUV with rear-wheel drive will work fine." Here on the forums, many seem to say not to tow ANY size Airstream with less than a 1/2 ton pickup.

Thing is, the tow vehicle will be my primary around-town car as well. And I hate big vehicles! I've been driving a Honda Civic for 8 years, and before that had a CRX. I can't imagine driving anything bigger than, say, a Ford Explorer or Toyota 4Runner. But after reading more on the forums this evening, I'm thinking it's not a good idea to tow with something that "small."

Am I over-thinking this? Being too paranoid? Do you have any specific mid-size truck or SUV suggestions for a 19' Bambi that would work?

I'm beginning to think we can't find anything to meet all of our needs. Would appreciate any help or advice (or psychiatric therapy or strong drink) you have to offer.

Jennifer
jeneric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
A little guy like your's can be towed with any rig; it's the hitch that's important.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3742.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	98558  
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Do a search on the forum for mentions of the gmc acadia/Buick Enclave/Chevy Traverse platform. WAY more than enough for a bambi; The "you need a Freightliner to tow anything bigger than a little-red-wagon" school of thought is a very popular one on the forums, but its not the only one.
If money is no object, there is a small but fanatic group of VW Toureg owners here that are quite happy towing larger trailers than a bambi.
Then there's our Canadian brethren to the north, towing with all sorts of..."less than intuitive" choices...none of them have turned into a pumpkin, yet. (not that I know of, anyway). Dodge Magnum is a pretty popular option, it seems...and that doesn't seem all that "out there", to me; it has an enormous engine, after all. same as their full-size pickups. I kind of like the idea of the wagon version...looks like it would be a great tow vehicle, as well as a practical family car during the other 355 days of the year.

on edit: the pic posted above is a Buick Enclave.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We tow our 06 19' Safari SE (rebranded to the Flying Cloud in 2009, so it's basically just like yours) with an 07 Toyota Tacoma V6 Double Cab Automatic 2WD with a factory tow package (a must) with a tow capacity of #6500 and use an Equal-I-Zer Hitch...and we get along just fine with it... If we went with a larger AS we would probably want a larger truck. This is our every-day vehicle as well, and as a double cab it does everything we need it to do...including getting us out on the road regularly with the Bambi.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Tow Vehicles?

During the early 80's I pulled a 1966 28' Overlander with a Chevy Impala with a 350 V8. It did a great job. Big cars were much heavier back in the day. Most V6 engines in todays mid-size SUV's would not have any problem with a 19' Airstream. You would need a good equalizing hitch and the vehicle would need to be rated for the weight. Check out the Ford Flex SUV I've heard others on this forum showing interest in it. Hope this is some help.....Tim

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
Shop Teacher

2006 25' Safari FB SE
tigard , Oregon
A good V6 SUV will work

The longer the wheel base the better the tow vehicle. Tacomas with a double cab are excellent. With a long bed even better.
mike rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
the pic posted above is a Buick Enclave.
Which has all-wheel drive, a big plus, I'm told, for towing.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:36 PM   #8
_

. , .
hi jennifer...

v6 is basically USELESS info.

towing involves a LOT of factors besides # of cylinders.

then there are PERSONAL/specific RV related issues,

like how much STUFF u will carry in the tv or trailer, 4x4 NEEDed or not, suv/truck/van...

BIG is a relative term and YOU might need to get over the 'size issue' or keep an open mind.

not suggesting u need a GAINT vehicle, but whatever is selected will ALTER your spacial awareness briefly...

then you will adapt to the size/space/parking issues...

trailer life annually publishes a towing guide which lists the towing SPECs for 100s of vehicles...

Trailer Life Magazine: Follow the Road to Adventure

scan models, make notes, read the SMALL print...

then ask about a specific vehicle u might like.

folks will JUMP all over giving feedback on a specific model/brand after you narrow the field.

again u WILL need to adjust your pre conceived ideas about size, so explore with an OPEN mind...

heres a brief thread on suv'z that would all fit your towing needs...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...cle-39142.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Great response by 2air.

Yeah, I'd be cautious about believing opinions including phrases like any V6, or no V6 - it's just kind of irresponsible to paint a category that big with such a broad brush. Our choice boiled down to a balance of factors that works for us, and even that may change if we move to a more mountainous area, change trailers, etc.

The problem with putting too much stock in our opinions on a specific vehicle is that each of our definitions of an acceptable compromise will be different. Before I sound too new agey though, I'll definitely say there's a baseline of safety involved, and a degree of common sense that should factor in. So again, do some homework and the good people here will try and steer you in the right direction.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:09 AM   #10
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Jennifer,

As others have noted opinions vary widely on what tow vehicle is "minimum acceptable" with many people advocating derating the manufacturers tow ratings by 10% or more and uprating the trailer weight to its GVWR.

You do want to consider the distances and terrain where you plan to tow. If you are going to drive 10,000 miles a year in the mountains there are some things that won't work that would be fine for 1,000 miles a year on flat ground.

The Trailer Life towing guide should help but in short there are plenty of SUVs and minivans that would be suitable.

The Dodge Magnum mentioned upthread (now discontinued) had a towing capacity of 3500 pounds however it was widely believed to have been conservatively rated by its manufacturer and capable of more with the proper hitch and possibly with the addition of an aftermarket transmission cooler. I have the Chrysler Pacifica which is the same except for minor body and trim differences. I've pulled a 3000 pound trailer with it and it did fine.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:38 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
Orlando , Florida
Many thanks to everyone who replied! You gave us so many good things to think about. Even went and test drove a Toyota Tacoma last night, and did research on the Chevy Traverse, etc. After discussing it (ad nauseum!) with my husband, I think we've decided the best thing for us is to have 3 vehicles -- our Civic and Accord for around town, and something big for pulling the AS.

We're now leaning toward a Ford F-150. Since we're not doing a trade-in, and we'll now have the expense of another car insurance payment, we want to buy a used one without too many bells and whistles.

So, if I may shift the focus of this thread a bit...any thoughts on what to look for in a used F-150? Keep in mind it's for towing a 19' Bambi. Any advice is once again appreciated!
Old 03-22-2010, 06:51 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeneric View Post
Many thanks to everyone who replied! You gave us so many good things to think about. Even went and test drove a Toyota Tacoma last night, and did research on the Chevy Traverse, etc. After discussing it (ad nauseum!) with my husband, I think we've decided the best thing for us is to have 3 vehicles -- our Civic and Accord for around town, and something big for pulling the AS.

We're now leaning toward a Ford F-150. Since we're not doing a trade-in, and we'll now have the expense of another car insurance payment, we want to buy a used one without too many bells and whistles.

So, if I may shift the focus of this thread a bit...any thoughts on what to look for in a used F-150? Keep in mind it's for towing a 19' Bambi. Any advice is once again appreciated!
Here's a thread with some info about the F150. And I'm sure anyone with direct experience will also chime in.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...cle-47573.html

Good luck!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:13 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
Orlando , Florida
Awesome - thanks, utee!
Old 03-22-2010, 07:17 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Jeneric, I pulled my 21 ft. SOB with a V8 4Runner without incident. I know it would pull a 19 ft. Airstream equally well. The 4Runner is built on the Tacoma chasis and had a 7500 pound towing capacity. It was all wheel drive and probably the best "car" I ever owned.

There are always downsides for any vehicle so weighing a PU against an SUV will be your decision. Don't let anyone talk you away from the 4Runner, it is a very good option.

Of course, if you were trying to pull a 32 footer, well maybe not so good.

Dick
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:31 AM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Jennifer, you do not mention what your travel plan is for your new Airstream. This can be a significant factor when it comes to selection of a tow vehicle. If you plan to do all of your camping in the Orlando area or Florida generally, a V-6 SUV or pick-up will probably pretty much fill the bill. The longer the wheelbase of the the tow vehicle, the better.

Keep in mind that when your Airstream is set up ready to go camping, it is going to weigh 4000+#. Also, as 2air has stated, you must consider the weight of the cargo and passengers in the tow vehicle.

If, on the other hand, your Airstream travel plans call for extensive trips in the Rockies of Wyoming or the White Mountains of Vermont and new Hampshire, you might want to consider a little bit heftier tow vehicle. I am not recommending an F-350 Dually, but a V-8 power plant may be in order.

Do your research thoroughly, as an insufficient tow vehicle is the single largest cause of a perfectly good Airstream becoming a very expensive piece of yard art.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Here are a few trucks to consider that should be up to the task of towing your trailer, while not breaking the bank, in no particular order:

Ford F150, extended cab, short bed, 4.6 liter
Chevrolet (and the GMC clone, Sierra) 1500, 5.3 liter, extended cab, short bed
Dodge Ram 1500, configured as above, 4.7 liter
Ford Expedition, 2wd, 4.6 liter
Chevy Tahoe/Suburban (Tahoe is slightly shorter wheelbase) 5.3 liter
Nissan Frontier, 2wd
Toyota Tacoma V6, 2wd
Chevy Astro, standard body (not ext)

There are, as pointed out above, many others, but the ones I listed above will allow you to look over tow vehicles with similar capabilities without filling a dictionary.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Jennifer
I think the F150 would do a good job for you,of course Im a Ford person. I would consult 3 or 4 dealers in your area. I see you are kinda leanin toward USED.ASK if they might be getting a OFF LEASE F150 in.These will be 2 yrs old,at least most of them. They have first dibbs on each vehicle they lease,and if they dont want it,it goes on to auction.These are usually well taken care of and because they are leased usually are updated on recalls and service by the leasing dealer.I would go with a crewcab and an 8 ft bed,room for more stuff, don't ya know.
GOOD LUCK on your search, keep in mind all the things mentioned by 2air he's had lots of experience.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:11 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Opelika , Alabama
If you go by your local Ford dealer, ask for a towing guide, and it will have the specs for the current year trucks. The smaller V8 will get better mileage, and with the proper rear end gear, will tow more than a 5.4. You can search google for 4.6 vs 5.4 ford f150 and get plenty of info on them..
AUstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #19
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeneric View Post
...We're now leaning toward a Ford F-150. Since we're not doing a trade-in, and we'll now have the expense of another car insurance payment, we want to buy a used one without too many bells and whistles...
another member went through this process of looking for a used SMALLER 1/2 truck for her SMALL trailers.

her story is here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...cle-26058.html

i met her towing with the newly acquired f150 just a few weeks after the purchase,

and she was already ADAPTED to the space (supercab with tiny back doors) ...

the 150 from 97-04 is called the "10th generation" and was WILDLY UNpopular with enthusiasts...

because of the 'soft' aerodynamic styling...

"don't look like a REAL truck" many guys groaned...

"yep, it looks like a CITY truck" others replied...

however THAT LOOK is exactly why you might like it...

they LOOK smaller, are more rounded (car like) and will still handle bambi fine...

Click image for larger version

Name:	2003_f150.png
Views:	211
Size:	607.1 KB
ID:	98604

and because they are NOT popular with truck guys, the prices are VERY LOW...

i sorta like the look in a NON truck, truck sorta way...

and these are cheaper to insure, and there's a zillion of them to choose from...

with parts widely available too...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
One thing bugs me about that generation: the IIHS offset crash test of the Supercab was really bad. (I would think/hope that the true four door cab would be safer, structure-wise, but it wasn't tested.)

But to be fair, there are safety quibbles with other trucks in that time frame: GM had standard ABS but so-so frontal crash test results, Dodge had good frontal crash test results but optional ABS, Toyota had good frontal crash test results but hard to find ABS for a while...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicles