Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2010, 05:57 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
Orlando , Florida
2air -- thanks for your post. I have to clarify, though, that NO ONE, publicly or privately, has suggested that I go to Canada (or anywhere else) to get a hitch or modifications. It's best not to assume what a private conversation was about when you really have no idea!
jeneric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:58 PM   #42
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
okay folks - in go my 2c -

the wife and i looked at the chevy and toyota but finally decided on the ford due to overall consumer reports ratings, safety features/crash tests, etc.

we got a new '09 f-150 crew cab with the tow package. the 4 full doors make ALL the difference when you travel - more room for 'stuff' and easier to get to. the passenger seat is very comfortable.

we pull a 2005 22' CCD int'l and have no trouble at all. we get about 14-15 mpg towing, 18-19 otherwise. if we ever trade up to a large size we would probably then go to the -250. [ our 'home' car is a toyota matrix ]

i happen to be a ford guy from way back but that's just me.

there are always great deals on the last year's model trucks as each new model year comes out. we got our crew cab for just a wee bit more than the extended cab version. shop around - bargain hard.

recommend you test drive all sorts. don't "over-buy" a truck just because you think you might need all that power or a 4wd. you want a nce ride - you don't want to shake your AS apart.

most of all - get some thing you like! maybe even matches the AS?

good luck and happy trails

az-streamer
[CENTER][I]
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #43
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeneric View Post
... It's best not to assume what a private conversation was about when you really have no idea!
i make NO assumptions about your private notes or conversations...

reread that section above in post #39, where does it reference ANY pm?

but u aren't the only 1 getting pmz in this thread...

the commentary is related to those notes i DO have an idea about,

and the 100s of times this has already been suggested IN threads...

((eventually someone will suggest it here too...))

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #44
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by az-streamer View Post
okay folks - in go my 2c -

the wife and i looked at the chevy and toyota but finally decided on the ford due to overall consumer reports ratings, safety features/crash tests, etc.

we got a new '09 f-150 crew cab with the tow package. the 4 full doors make ALL the difference when you travel - more room for 'stuff' and easier to get to. the passenger seat is very comfortable.

we pull a 2005 22' CCD int'l and have no trouble at all. we get about 14-15 mpg towing, 18-19 otherwise. if we ever trade up to a large size we would probably then go to the -250. [ our 'home' car is a toyota matrix ]

i happen to be a ford guy from way back but that's just me.

there are always great deals on the last year's model trucks as each new model year comes out. we got our crew cab for just a wee bit more than the extended cab version. shop around - bargain hard.

recommend you test drive all sorts. don't "over-buy" a truck just because you think you might need all that power or a 4wd. you want a nce ride - you don't want to shake your AS apart.

most of all - get some thing you like! maybe even matches the AS?

good luck and happy trails

az-streamer

nice agree
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:08 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Have you thought about a Jeep Grand Cherokee? My 1999 V8 towed my 6500# 2000 25ft Safari very well, even in the mountains on two lane roads. Later models have more powerful engines with better fuel economy.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:13 PM   #46
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by az-streamer View Post
don't "over-buy" a truck just because you think you might need all that power or a 4wd. you want a nce ride - you don't want to shake your AS apart.
OK, az-streamer, you had me up until this part, above. Do you think pairing an F-150 with a 19' AS is "over-buying"? Needless to say, I don't want to shake the thing apart either. I wasn't thinking of going with the largest possible F-150 engine, or a 4x4. From other threads I've read, people talk about pairing these two together with good towing capability and no problems. If you or anyone wants to weigh in on the other side, I'd be interested in hearing it. Though I might just buy one anyway.
jeneric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #47
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
A nice third vehicle. low cost. rides nice. tows really well. body on frame.

1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon. My Argy is larger than your trailer but weighs about the same. You can buy mine if interested or find one in your neighborhood. Lots of them available in Florida as the Grandfathers who bought them stop using them.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:50 AM   #48
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Since nobody has mentioned it yet, how 'bout a Cheby "Avalanche"? or similar..."very short bed" pickup. Kind of a cross between SUV and pickup. I know Ford makes a very short bed pickup w/ 4 full size doors...not sure how these compare, but the idea is that the somewhat shorter wheelbase would provide more maneuverability, without being "too short" to tow. It is nice to have some bed space for the inevitably dirty/smelly/fumey camping gear, without soiling the nice interior passenger space, but a traditional pickup bed (@ 6.5 or 8') is typically way more than needed.

me...I'd tow with a jeep, if I could. I need the maneuverability for plowing my driveway. (which I need to do at least as often...probably more often, than towing my trailer). It doesn't snow much in FL (at least, not YET, anyway), so that isn't an issue for the OP. But thats why these decisions are so personal. If you have the means and the space and the climate for a dedicated tow vehicle, then, of course, the correct answer is always "3/4 ton Suburban". But not everybody has that.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #49
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
On Friday, the hubby and I signed a contract on a 2009 19' Flying Cloud Bambi.

Thing is, the tow vehicle will be my primary around-town car as well. And I hate big vehicles!Jennifer
We are in the same boat Jen. Have no interest or use for large vehicles or pick ups.

We tow with a mid sized, V6 car and use a V6 Mini Van as a grocery getter.

If for any reason we decided to get a pick up the Honda Ridgeline seems to be the right vehicle for us. Here at this link you can see what other Ridgeline owners are towing. They seem to be very happy with their vehicles.

Ridgeline's can tow (photos) - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Old 03-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #50
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
Quote:
OK, az-streamer, you had me up until this part, above. Do you think pairing an F-150 with a 19' AS is "over-buying"? Needless to say, I don't want to shake the thing apart either..... Though I might just buy one anyway.
heck no - the f-150 would be perfect for your 19'. like i said - we have the f-150 for our '22 and we love it.

the point i was trying to make was that some folks tend to 'over-buy' their TV. they buy a massive truck with super suspension, huge engines, 4wd, etc. etc.

there are threads out there that deal with the problems caused by overly stiff suspensions shaking the AS's apart or causing problems with the frames and separation.

some people, like we did, will pair their AS and TV. we had decided on either a 19' or 22' and chose the 22' for the extra length and the floor plan. the f-150 seems like a perfect match. we saw no need to get a f-350 to pull the 22'.

also - what better excuse to go buy a new truck

as noted earlier - if we go larger in an AS we would then go larger in the TV.

bottom line - get what you like / like what you get

az-streamer
[CENTER][I]
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #51
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
2air -- thanks for your post. I have to clarify, though, that NO ONE, publicly or privately, has suggested that I go to Canada (or anywhere else) to get a hitch or modifications. It's best not to assume what a private conversation was about when you really have no idea!
2air may have had better days . . . on the other hand, what with the thread on "whom would you like to meet" I thought of posting that, yes, I'd like to meet the person who stays a step ahead of me, is better organized, tons more experience, from whom I've learned to question old verities and search accurate information, etc. On second thought, I figured he'd backpedal as I might could be thought of as being argumentative . . . so this thread is balm to that notion. Onward, through the fog . . . .

Take it for granted that the desire for the best around here may not have much to do with price, but with performance at stake there is a lot riding on

the best vacation
the best business trip
is the one with least incident
in the face of serious odds

My "bumper sticker philosophy" about towing is:

TOWING IS ABOUT CONTROL, AND CONTROL IS ABOUT STEERING.
STEERING IS ABOUT KEEPING THE RIG
LANE-CENTERED UNDER ALL CONDITIONS!

A V8 half-ton is hard to beat in general but perhaps not in specifics (handling), yet one that is priced below fair market value due to dumb consumers is an exact bargain as depreciation, finance, and other fixed expenses over the life of the vehicle make its deficiencies easier to live with.

And the TV needs to cover a lot of contingencies as was pointed out above: travel gear, people, boondocking supplies, etc that aren't relevant to a commuter. The TV as TV is the first, most important consideration, IMO. But can I live with it otherwise?

I found that a locking cover (bed cap or tonneau) with a plastic bedliner (not spray on) allows me to quickly sort and use any extra supplies. Just throw the dirty stuff in the back.

A generic V8 half-ton in excellent condition to which I added a few better parts, outstanding hitch, and locking covered storage covers many trailers other than the smallest especially if the price is right! It may not be a Porsche Cayenne, but it'll do for a year or two (is my thinking about it). My baseline these days is that both TT & TV must have all-wheel disc brakes, sway-eliminating hitch and the best possible brake controller (the gold standard).

Don't stop reading . . (and 2Airs links are usually spot on). The owners trailer and TV may change a few times early on . . . that is common. The choice of trailer construction, roadworthiness is more important, IMO, than the specific TV. My parents settled into one trailer over 27-years, but it wasn't the first RV.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:47 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I don't personally care for Fords but the F-150 in my opinion based on the published specs would be a very good match for your AS.

Also you will find having a pick-up for those odd jobs is a bonus.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:52 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
We tow our 19ft Ocean Breeze with a Tahoe. The Tahoe is an everyday use and towing the trailer is a breeze.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #54
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry View Post
I don't personally care for Fords but the F-150 in my opinion based on the published specs would be a very good match for your AS.

Also you will find having a pick-up for those odd jobs is a bonus.

I have enjoyed a long (26+ years !!) and satisfying experience with Ford trucks, and our TV is currently a 2008 4WD Supercab. it's fine pulling (and stopping) an '02 25' Safari, and was perfectly adequate pulling the older 31' Sovereigns. we rarely fill the back seat with bodies, more often gear. the 6.5' bed gives a good combination of wheelbase / room / carrying & towing capacity, while remaining reasonably able to parallel park on Main Street without the Trailer!

though, i would say that I think the toss next year on a 2011 will go to a diesel instead of a gas powerplant.....

more than a dozen or so years ago, my brother, a dyed in the wool GM / GMC fan ordered a '97 GMC while I ordered the new '97 F150. even he begrudgingly later said " I should have bought the Ford!".

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:00 AM   #55
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Just like Airstream floorplans, each tow vehicle will have it's advantages and disadvantages. One advantage of a pickup, however, is that you will be able to display this bumper sticker: "Yes, this my truck.....No, I won't help you MOVE!!"
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:53 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Great Thread - I gotta share this with a friend of mine who just purchased a new 4x4 Ridgeline and wants an Airstream after checking mine out!!!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
The Tow Vehicle to Avoid

Pulled this off of an old thread originally posted on this site - but I don't remember who posted it.

You don't need a large vehicle to pull your Bambi - but you do need to pull within it's capacity limits - and the 80% rule of thumb is a good one to follow. As you approach the capacity of the tow vehicle your choice of hitch takes on larger importance.

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream - Too Heavy.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	98782  

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:07 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Wow - just read all 75+ pages of that "Ridgline Thread" - lots of folks safely towing with many, many miles under the belt some trailers I'm sure a few folks here would have disagreed with...

Not to stir the "Hornets Nest" but - seems our conversations here take place all around the web - the bias is directly proportional to whose forem is hosting the threads...

JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #59
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
...lots of folks safely towing with many, many miles under the belt...

the bias is directly proportional to whose forem is hosting the threads...
'accident free or UNeventful towing' does not = "safely towing"

we all get aWAY with lots of risky or stupid or notYET stuff, for awhile.

it seems to be an almost universal GOOD feeling to do something or alter something AGAINST the manufacturer's advice...

like "wadda they know, i can do this!" or "it's all a scam man, don't listen to the man, man...."

"the man just wants to control us, man..."

but i agree that depending on which enthusiast site has the postings there is a SHIFT in reality...

and members who finally get bit by there actions, tend to drift off the threads...

mehbe they are all livin' happily ever onward or not...man...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:43 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' Sport
Madison , Wisconsin
You mentioned a Tacoma early on in the discussion. We have had our 4 cyl. Tacoma for 8 years and we are upgrading to the V6 Tacoma Double Cab with 6500# Tow Capacity to tow our 16 sport (only 3500#).

We absolutely love our old Tacoma. And our new double cab has as much room as a civic and you get a little space in the back to store your dirty hiking shoes and tools for the road.
boutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicles