Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
About Newer Diesels

I traded my '07 GMC 1/2 ton gasser in December for a used '08 GMC 3/4 ton Diesel, and quite honestly, I'm sort of disappointed in the fuel mileage. My Diesel only gets about one mpg better than my gasser, and then only when towing.

I think I've read all the fuel mileage reports about the older Diesels (pre mid '07), but what I'm interested in is reports from folks with the newer Diesels. Specifically, the ones with the DPE (Diesel particulate filter) in the exhaust system. What is your fuel mileage like, both towing and running empty? Have you done anything to your truck to improve fuel mileage, and if so, what did you do?

All information on the newer Diesels appreciated. That's right, I'm sort of PO'ed about this and don't really want to hear about how good your older Diesel does.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You have my sympathies

Steve, pretty much all the '08 and newer diesels will have sucky mileage because of the particulate filter. They periodically dump lots of fuel into the system to burn off the crap that's in the filter, which kills fuel mileage. I'm not sure what the EPA was thinking when they came up with this. It's a lose/lose, you either burn more fuel with less emissions, or less fuel with more emissions. I've kind of gotten used to breathing, so less emissions is good, but you have to wonder at the logic of burning more non-renewable fuel to get there.
Just an idea, FWIW, sell/trade the '08 for a comparably equipped '07. My gas-engine Silverado does nearly as well towing as the new diesels, fuel-mileage-wise, which is roughly 10-11 mpg.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Just an idea, FWIW, sell/trade the '08 for a comparably equipped '07. My gas-engine Silverado does nearly as well towing as the new diesels, fuel-mileage-wise, which is roughly 10-11 mpg.
Terry, I would consider that, but I looked for about six months the find the one I traded for. I wanted another GM with the Isuzu Duramax, and down here, they are in very high demand. They rarely show up on the dealer's lots...snatched up usually by friends. Besides, it's a personal thing, but I don't like the looks of the pre mid year '07's. LOTS of Dodges and Fords, but with the history of the Fords, that only leaves the Dodges.

I am getting about 12 1/2 MPG towing with the Diesel, and I got about 11 1/2 with the gasser. The mileage is virtually the same running empty.

There are some "parts" available to do away with the DPF, and other things, but doing so voids any remaining warranty on the drive train, and per the EPA, is only leagal for "off road use". And then, there's the $1000 +,- it takes to do the mods.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
_

. , .
it's not JUST the dpf...

-the 3/4 ton is HEAVIER than the 1/2 ton (mine is ~8,000 lbs un hitched) so every start/acceleration is impacted.

-fuel has changed (didn't think this mattered initially but it has) and mpg has DROPPED for the older diesels too.

-they were continuing to UP hp/torque at the time with old technology, MORE POWER = more juice...

-the answer to many of the anticipated ills of cleaner fuel has been mapping HIGHER fuel use/dumping more fuel into them also ...

-this applies even to the PRE dpf diesels from 04-08...

the dpf is supposed to flame on every 1000 miles? but a lot of short trips/slow city, UNhitched driving will lead to more burn cycles...

dirty oil will increase that, as will ANY sulfur in the system.

the same things that WORK for improving mpg on older sludge burners can extend mpg on the newer ones...

but with less bang for the buck and more environmental impact...

i would imagine a lot of texans will d/c the dpf as these trucks go out of warranty and into the 2nd/3rd owners hands.

but doing THAT alone isn't gonna help mpg much because of the other issues...

and there are FEWER aftermarket chips and tweaks for this recent string of intermediately cleaner/stop gap DOMESTIC diesels...

TOWING MPG is about breaking wind...and ANY reports of >12 mpg involve driving SLOWER, tail winds or fish stories...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I'm not going to tell you the mileage I get on mine; it will just make everyone cry.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
I'm not going to tell you the mileage I get on mine; it will just make everyone cry.
I'm pretty sure it's at least a touch over 10...
Old 01-31-2010, 09:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
If it is a figure that you think would make me cry, it would probably make me chuckle, because I didn't believe it.

Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
The solution I have come up with in our 2008 6.4 Powerstroke is simple - denial. Simply change the setting on your dashboard to "miles from empty" from "average mph" and you will find your driving experience improved.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
this may help...will help!

Call and talk about this subject with the owner of Cambridge Auto in San Antonio. They do some great things with the diesels.

Also...light reading for a weekend afternoon....
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/index.php?
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I use the Bully Dog tuner on my 04 Duramax (I know, you wanted to talk about newer ones.) However I think it will help yours as well.

They offer a free trial- so get a good understanding of your current situation then try theirs and see if there is a measurable difference. I believe there will be.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I get 15 MPG's not leaving my home county...mostly city type driving. Towing I did loose about 1 MPG over the 2005 I had. Same with my daily commute of app. 25 miles each way and about half city/half interstate driving (about 18 MPG's). I think I am getting over 21 MPG's on the interstate without towing. It has been a while since I checked and am still under 40,000 miles on the odo.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Omaha , Nebraska
SteveH.... I purchased a new 2009 Chevy 2500 with the Duramax in September of 09 but only have 1,800 miles on it as it sits in the garage most of the time.

Right now driving around town I get between 13 and 15. On the highway I get 17 to 19 (65 to 70 mph). I've only towed my 30' AS for 100 miles and I got 12 mpg (65 mph). I'm hoping the mileage will improve some as it gets broken in.
TSchleff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSchleff View Post
SteveH.... I purchased a new 2009 Chevy 2500 with the Duramax in September of 09 but only have 1,800 miles on it as it sits in the garage most of the time.

Right now driving around town I get between 13 and 15. On the highway I get 17 to 19 (65 to 70 mph). I've only towed my 30' AS for 100 miles and I got 12 mpg (65 mph). I'm hoping the mileage will improve some as it gets broken in.
I'd like to be more encouraging, but that's about the same mileage as I'm getting, and my truck now has 57,000 on it. There is a thread on the Diesel forum, www.dieselplace.com and everyone there reports simular mileage with the newer Diesels.

Seems our government working thru it's agencies has the capability to mess up anything.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #14
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Don't give up yet!

• The emission systems that are being added to diesel truck now are the industries first response to new regulation. These systems will evolve over time (remember those pesky catalytic converters-both in cars and wood stoves!). Eventually new technology will develop and diesel will be clean and even more efficient than it ever was previously. We are most likely in the learning years for clean diesel and future generations may be more desirable than what is coming out now. First the manufacturers have to meet the new regulations to stay in business, and then they will develop increased performance. It takes time do all this. It happened with gassers, it is happening now with diesel.
• Somewhat related to the above (if it is true) then for the time being, the previous generation (pre 2007 emissions standards) may be the most desirable diesel trucks to own until all this gets sorted out.

I do know our 2006 DuraMax Allison (the last year with out the new emission, and the first year with the 6 speed tranny) is awesome. And if all this is true, might be the most desirable of the GM diesels…for now.
Have you had the truck serviced?
The injectors cleaned/inspected?
Filters replaced yet?
Rule out any service needs before you crucify the truck…
One point You are missing entirely, going diesel has many advantages; The relaxed towing manner of diesel is just impossible to replicate with gas, the control of exhaust braking, the broad torque curve, these are what you drive diesel for. Gains in efficiency and environmental advantages are the icing on the cake. If I read your recent posts correctly, you have yet to set out on a trip of any substance towing as of yet? Most of your driving with the new truck has been unladed? After your first long tow (and proper service?)…report back and we’ll see how you feel about that deezul…

Bill
Old 02-01-2010, 06:33 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Helotes , Texas
19 mpg - 21 mpg on highway empty

average 14 mpg with 28'

should have bought a Dodge
lsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:47 PM   #16
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmith View Post
19 mpg - 21 mpg on highway empty

average 14 mpg with 28'

should have bought a Dodge
What is wrong with those numbers? They look OK to me.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
1968 22' Safari
Clarksville , Indiana
The new 2011 Ford Superduty 6.7L is scheduled to start production 2/15 and I believe it will be a winner in the fuel mileage. The engineers have reported 22-25 mpg. The engine uses urea to rid the exhaust of the soot in the DPF. They have dyno results of 500 hp and 1100 foot pounds torque of course Ford has lowered these numbers for the production units.
Hell of a Lot of Fun!!!

Andre'
papademojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
1968 22' Safari
Clarksville , Indiana
Btw these mlelage results are due in part to the 331 rearend they are putting in them. It use to be a 355 which was the lowest gearing you could get.
Hell of a Lot of Fun!!!

Andre'
papademojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
I have a 2006 Chevy 3500 C-C with 38k miles (bought it new) and had thought about getting a 2010 Chevy 3500 when they came out, but with what I have read and heard about the 2007 and post diesels, it looks like I am better off just to keep what I have...
Old 02-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Any diesel that has any emissions crap on it, i.e.: DPF, EGR or Catalytic Converter, will get worse mileage than a non-emissions diesel. My 2001 3500 CTD with 4.10's got 21MPG consistently, until the VP44 started crapping out. My 2005 2500HD CTD with 3.73's and a cat got 21MPG, until ULSD came out; then I got 17MPG...best I could do. My 2004 F350 King Ranch with 4.10's, cat and EGR gets around 12MPG.... these figures are all MPG's when not towing; the Dodges got around 14MPG towing and the King Ranch gets around 10MPG. I also have a 1400lb Herrin Hauler bed on the King Ranch. I've always kept my trucks at 2000RPM, the supposed sweet spot for diesel engines.

There's no doubt that a P-pumped 12v Cummins will get the best mileage; you'll also be killing Mother Nature, according to the nature kooks, but I'm pretty sure that Mother Nature will still be around and able to regenerate itself, long after we've gone the way of the dinosaur...my opinion, of course. Then again, if the Earth can survive massive meteor strikes and super volcanoes, I don't think that diesel soot is going to faze it one bit.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote