Old 10-08-2011, 09:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Hmmm, and I thought our Ridgeline does great in the crosswind.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Let's see . . . if I were heading into extreme crosswind conditions, I should have one of the least aerodynamic passenger vehicles I can find . . .

doug k

Old 10-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Nothing quite like a trip from SoCal to AZ when the Santa Ana winds are blowing at full force!
Old 10-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
I agree with the excursion. Very stable in rough conditions. Most of the 250/2500 trucks handle well in bad conditions.
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I don't disagree with the Excursion (much), but have certainly not been left alongside the road with our Tundra either in some really serious conditions. I think some major credit here is also due to our Airstreams' ability in these conditions.

My greatest concern is at what point does the crosswind suddenly overcome the resistance of our rig. I'm fairly new at Airstreams; the only fellow I know personally who lost the whole rig (everything blew over) was pulling his Airstream with an F250 diesel, two years ago in Arizona.

doug k
Old 10-08-2011, 08:08 PM   #20
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Does an air cleaner for a big diesel cost more or less about the same as a night in a KOA?
Excellent point, and my big worry down here when we run into the winds and dust; accidents are also dime a dozen (and deadly) in those storms. Find a spot to pull over, open a bottle of (your choice) and ride it out. Interstate 10 between Tucson and Phoenix is a case in point.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:07 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
Living and towing around the Great Lakes it always seems as though we are dealing with a cross or head wind.
We thank our lucky stars for having a very aerodynamic combo that reduces the wind effects to a mere wimper.
Did 100 kms or so the other weekend on the 401 between Chatham and London with the cross winds gusting at over 50 mph. Our "puny" tow vehicle and old fashioned (non-Hensley or ProPide) weight distribution and anti-sway set up kept us pretty straight all the way. The steering wheel was at a slight squint to counter the sideways push but it would have been if not towing, so three cheers for the great towing Airstream!

I will concede, though, that a complete lack of dust/sand made our northerly winds a whole lot easier to cope with than those experienced down in the deep south west.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:42 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
I will concede, though, that a complete lack of dust/sand made our northerly winds a whole lot easier to cope with than those experienced down in the deep south west.
Amen to that MrUKToad. The dust and sand would bring on a whole different experience.

A number of years ago we left the Pinery PP. There was a very strong "east wind", that is not common for these parts. Back then we towed with the 150HP Nissan Van.
Bucking the wind we had to wind it up in 2nd and 3rd gear to reach 55MPH. It seemed to take forever. Normally we would cruise all day at 60MPH without issue. We later heard some guy with a 5th wheel waited til the next day, after the wind died down, before heading out. The airstream aerodynamics work!
Old 10-09-2011, 09:32 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Does an air cleaner for a big diesel cost more or less about the same as a night in a KOA?
That's easy for you to say living in the BVI where a cold wave is less than 80 degrees.
FYI, the nearest KOA,s are in Denver or Santa Fe and staying over means a night boondocking in a cold, muddy truck stop.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #24
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
Nothing quite like a trip from SoCal to AZ when the Santa Ana winds are blowing at full force!
No kidding. When I bought the Airstream I replaced a class B with bubble top. High winds were its downfall (fast cornering not much better), it would list over and rock back and forth. Towing the Airstream is more stable by far.

Still I'm off the road when the sand starts to blow. I'm not pitting or damaging the equipment.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Sand storms are a problem in the southwest and with persistent drought they are getting worse. We saw dust to the west when we encountered high winds nearing Alamosa, but only had 10 miles to go. Fortunately all the pads at the KOA faced into the wind, so that was good.

Fortunately for Bob, Big Wheels have no air cleaners, but they and the Radio Flyer are not stable in the wind.

Gene
Old 10-09-2011, 02:33 PM   #26
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Something a cop told me during a sandstorm where we'd pulled over was to shut down my four-ways because too many folks would follow the lights and create more problems.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:04 AM   #27
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Quote:
Originally Posted by handn View Post
That's easy for you to say living in the BVI where a cold wave is less than 80 degrees.
FYI, the nearest KOA,s are in Denver or Santa Fe and staying over means a night boondocking in a cold, muddy truck stop.
Oh bull pucky. When this thread started, we had never been to the places mentioned, but two weeks after the initial post here, we pulled our Airstream from Palo Duro to Taos to Tres Piedres and right up through the mountains to Colorado Springs. So now I do know the roads you are talking about. We didn't experience the winds mentioned, though. (Don't worry, we got ours when we got snowed in with no power or water for two days in Ft.Collins last week).

There was no mud at the KOA in Taos. There was also no mud at any WalMart we saw along the way. There are definitely several KOAs south of Colorado Springs, we saw the signs for the tram to Pikes Peak as we blew by at 70. Rented F250 with a straight receiver hitch. No antisway. No WDH.

AND we don't live in the BVI. We live in the BWI. Big difference. But yeah, you're right. If the temp gets much under 80 we start thinking about cranking one of the windows part way down or closing one of the windward sliders.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:07 AM   #28
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Let's see . . . if I were heading into extreme crosswind conditions, I should have one of the least aerodynamic passenger vehicles I can find . . .

doug k

I was thinking Mini-Cooper towing a pop-up...