Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
A little jaunt

I left Phoenix Tuesday, 9 October, around noon and arrived in London, Ontario around 9pm on Thursday 11 October, having driven 2,260 miles. I showed up at the Airstream Factory at 1:10 on Thursday and took the tour before continuing to Ontario. I showed up a Can-Am at 8:00 am Friday, as agreed, to have the Mercedes factory installed hitch on my 2007 ML 320 Diesel modified to be able to actually tow more than a single motorcycle trailer. I took a picture with the iPhone of the finished car job and will study the mechanics of posting an image in the near future.

The mechanic also put a very small bend in the straight Hensley Arrow stinger to preload the setup and shortened the bar to make the ball come closer to the rear bumper. He shortened the stinger end going into the car receiver about 2" and drilled a new hole for the locking pin.

Unfortunately, Andy Thompson was at the Toronto Trailer show, so I did not get to meet him, but the crew on site are very competent and friendly folks.

The tour was very informative and unfortunately no photos are allowed.

The car should now be setup to tow the largest current Airstream model. I will be picking the new 2013 International Serenity 25FB trailer up in Los Angeles around 22 October.
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Looking forward to hearing about your towing experiences after the Can Am treatment.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I put an image of the hitch modification in Member's Photos labeled Can-am Reinforced ML320 CDI Hitch. I have found out that the "Images:" below my handle is a link to the photo.

I have a larger image if anyone needs to see more details. Send me a PM.
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The mechanic also put a very small bend in the straight Hensley Arrow stinger to preload the setup and shortened the bar to make the ball come closer to the rear bumper. He shortened the stinger end going into the car receiver about 2" and drilled a new hole for the locking pin.

Should like to see a pic of this as well, if convenient, as the description may fit the problem I am having on weight transfer.

As well, taking a few inches out of any WDH OAL is a good idea.

I look forward to making that drive for the same kind of reason. Experience to go over the whole of the rig for best performance.

Thanks!

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote