Old 11-02-2015, 04:21 PM   #1
2008 16' Bambi
Monterey , California
A heavy sedan as a tow vehicle

Should I use my 2013 Hyundia Equus sedan (a copy of a large Lexus, 4500 lbs; V-8, 5 liter engine; 8 speed automatic transmission; rear wheel drive) to pull either a 16 foot Scout or 16 foot Bambi.
My Hyundai dealer says "No" but doesn't know why; Hyundai USA says "No" but also doesn't know why.
I keep a 21 Ft (5.2Meter), (1800 KG) 4000 lb Home Car caravan in Europe and for the past 16 years have pulled it everywhere from Sicily to the top of Norway using a succession of used Volvo sedans, Ford sedans, a VW wagon and even a Fiat Corma wagon - each with no problem at all. Everyone in Europe does the same.
Is their some good reason to not install an European hitch and electrical harness on my Hyundia Equus and use it to tow a little 3500 lb trailer like a Scout?
I would truly welcome insight that would help me to resolve this problem.

jqbellingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:13 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
Mountain View , California
The Euro hitch may not work due to different ball size. The harness may also not work (I know that for BMW there are some differences EURO/ US spec).

You will hear a lot of whining about towing anything with sedan. I do not know your particular model, but as I am European I know that in Europe there are larger trailers towed by sedans / station wagons on daily basis. Using trucks for towing does not exist in Europe.

bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
You'll be just fine pulling a 16 footer with that car!

Make sure you use a good weight distributing/sway control hitch setup that is properly adjusted and of course you will have a trailer brake controller installed since the auto does not come with one from the factory.

If you want some more detailed tips I'd call Andy Thompson at CanAm RV in London Ontario (519) 652-3284. He is the expert on towing with smaller vehicles (i.e., non-pick up trucks) and he is very generous with his advice.
Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1975 27' Overlander
Mission , Texas
A little light reading about the differences between towing in the USA and Europe, highly recommended.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:04 PM   #5
Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
There will be some who will claim that anything short of a 9,000 pound dooley diesel is inadequate, but I say a 4,000 pound plus car has more than enough mass to handle your trailer. Make sure your trailer brakes work great, get a good hitch receiver installed and see how it pulls.
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:08 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
Mountain View , California
It appears that it might be another interesting thread... which will be closed.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:37 AM   #7
1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
My sister, who is a lawyer advises me I should stay in bed all day. Some if her reasons are: it's safer there, I can't be sued and it gives me much more time to worry about things and ponder imponderables such as will I be sued for something.
The front cover of the owner's manual for my 1975 Overlander shows it being towed by a similar era GM wagon. Your Hyundai would be similar in weight and HP but would have much superior handling and braking characteristics.
Figure out a good WD hitch for it and add a transmission oil cooler to it,. Then go have some fun and ignore the worry warts here.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master
1973 23' Safari
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Good day jq. Sedans have been towing Airstream's since the first Airstream was built over 70 years ago. That includes Bambi's all the way up to 34'ers.

The key is knowing what sedan's work well/best and getting the set up right.

AnarborsBob's advice is highly valued and suggested. Talk to the good folks at Can Am as they have 45 years experience setting up cars for towing Airstreams.

Good luck with your research with towing with a car. It took us years to come to terms with the idea of towing our 23 with a mid sized sedan but it has been a success story from day one thnxs to the pro's at Can Am. They are the key to getting it right.
Airstreams..... The best towing trailers on the planet!
Road Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
I do and always will tow with a truck, however with modern brakes, suspension, tires, engines and hitch technology a newer sedan would probably do the job. I need payload and ground clearance so a truck is necessary, if that's not important to you, then a sedan is the solution.
1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York

Cool or what?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I know a 25 ft FC A$$er that tows all over with a Lincoln town car with no problem.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:48 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
I have to wonder if a large part of why "we used to tow with sedans" is not so much that sedans were that great of a tow vehicle, but that trucks were so darned basic, and let's face it, uncomfortable. I grew up driving various vehicles, among which was dad's '59 Ford truck. Straight six, three on the three. Believe me, that was a brutal day of driving to go on a trip in that thing. We sometimes towed the little Apache Eagle popup with it.
Modern pickup trucks essentially have all the benefits of a modern car, with the added attributes of being able to safely and comfortably carry a load, and tow.
Those who think modern trucks handle poorly probably have not driven one.
my badge of honor here:
"a genius nanny boy that drools in public"

....this according to a "slow-moving" poster here on the forum.... ( thanks )
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #13
Rivet Master
1975 27' Overlander
Mission , Texas
Flip side ...
The sedans from the old photos had frames, a chassis, were rated to tow, and so for towing purposes not much different than a truck except payload, comfort, and space utilization.
The Hyundai in question is unibody, no frame (which isn't necessarily a problem), but also is not rated to tow by the manufacturer.
So for me, that is enough. Then all of the engineering, customizing, legal aspects (which in the RV industry are not tracked), etc. come into play. Yes or no, good idea or insane, etc.
Free country, do as you will. But not for me thank you.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
If I may wander onto this fast-paced highway -- it strikes me that the tension here results from different cultures' viewpoints on lawyers/litigation/rule-following and so forth. The US is probably the most litigious country on Earth [see lawyer joke below]. Canada and Europe are less so.

Thus -- stretching the limits a bit to allow for an imperfect tow vehicle is seen quite differently in the differing cultures.

Whatever, different strokes for different folks IMO, including the level of risk with which each person is comfortable -- including the risk of both an accident and litigation.

__________________________________________________ ________________

Know what the difference is between a dead snake and a dead lawyer on the road?

There are skid marks in front of the snake!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote