Old 11-03-2015, 12:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
I think you will be just fine....Call Andy at CAN Am in London Ont.

JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:09 PM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
A heavy sedan as a tow vehicle

One of the concerns I would have is the transmission holding up. Towing does have a toll on fluid temperatures and high temperatures can significantly affect the life of the transmissions. Many of us who towed with automobiles in the past added external transmission coolers, didn't tow in overdrive, and would be cognitive of excessive transmission gear hunting which also generated more heat.

Transmissions in cars in many cases are not the equivalent of those found in trucks. So you might have the weight frame and brakes covered for towing, but the drive components may not be, and that may have a lot to do with manufacturers not recommending towing with autos today.

I think that if you have unlimited resources to deal with the wear and tear, then this may not be an issue. I keep my vehicles for a long time and I've never had a breakdown road interrupt a trip. I attribute that to not asking a vehicle to do more than it was designed for. I'm also a big believer in following the manufacturers recommendations for towing that are found in most of the manuals that come with the vehicles.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:15 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
1975 27' Overlander
High River , Alberta
Originally Posted by nrgtrakr View Post
A little light reading about the differences between towing in the USA and Europe, highly recommended.
Tow me down!
A very interesting article, and helpful in understanding the dynamics of towing a trailer in Europe. However, the Europeans don't use weight distributing hitches, and the article doesn't mention these at all.

I think the European ratings are most helpful in understanding that even small cars have sufficient engine power and driveline strength to pull some fairly significant loads.

These days, any mid-size or larger car is almost certain to be quite capable of moving an Airstream down the road, and there are even compacts (using the EPA's classification system) that can do the job. The key issue still is ensuring the receiver is designed/reinforced/attached to take the forces of a weight distributing hitch, and that said WDH is set up as precisely as possible. The second issue is ensuring that the tongue weight and passenger load don't overwhelm the car's suspension, but a bit of research and selecting an appropriate trailer can address this.

I would expect the V8 Genesis to be a very capable tow vehicle, with the right setup.

One last thought - concerns are often raised about damaging the tow vehicle. From personal experience, towing does not have a significant effect on car reliability. I can understand that transmission failure may occur on some vehicles, but the fuel savings in daily driving would easily offset such costs.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:30 PM   #18
Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Modern cars are heavy bricks,,, all of them.

Which do you think weighs more?

This car;

Or this car?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1447291828.073469.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	251938

Brevi tempore!
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
If I may wander onto this fast-paced highway -- it strikes me that the tension here results from different cultures' viewpoints on lawyers/litigation/rule-following and so forth. The US is probably the most litigious country on Earth [see lawyer joke below]. Canada and Europe are less so.

Thus -- stretching the limits a bit to allow for an imperfect tow vehicle is seen quite differently in the differing cultures.

Whatever, different strokes for different folks IMO, including the level of risk with which each person is comfortable -- including the risk of both an accident and litigation.

This is a common misconception, quoted and re-quoted yet still incorrect.

The dubious honour of most litigious country in the Western world belongs to Germany, where you're twice as likely to be sued as in the US.

In fact, the US barely makes the top five. Here's the data. You'll see a significant drop from Austria 95.9 to the US, at 74.5.

Per 1,000 population, litigation occurs:

• Germany 123.2
• Sweden 111.2
• Israel 96.8
• Austria 95.9
• U.S.A. 74.5
• UK/England & Wales 64.4
• Denmark 62.5
• Hungary 52.4
• Portugal 40.7
• France 40.3

Theodore Eisenberg, Henry Allen Mark Professor of Law at Cornell University
Christian Wollschlager, Exploring Global Landscapes of
Litigation Rates
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:54 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
The car will tow the trailer. The problem is the hitch, light, and brake interfaces. While you can work through these, the difficulty may not be worth the trouble. If it is a lease, don't. If it is a purchase and you plan to keep it for five years, investigate what one of the local shops wants to install a brake control, custom hitch, and lighting cable. Then decide. And do your homework. Don't assume the shop can do this work unless they have done similar installs before. Talk to the Hyundai service manager as a start.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:55 PM   #21
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The question is: Does the vehicle have the proper cooling system for the engine and transmission along with other items like a larger alternator to handle the additional house battery charging. These items are common in vehicles that have the "tow package".
I would follow the manufacturers lead. If they say it is not designed to tow. Why would you challenge their statement?

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:44 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
Mountain View , California
Who is saying it is not designed to tow? First you make up this fake statement and then you are asking not to challenge this statement... Nice strategy...
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
The owner's manual says that the manufacturer does not provide a tow rating. They have not looked at towing, it would appear.

The next paragraph in the owner's manual says that if you do tow, make sure you understand that the tongue weight applied to the tow vehicle comprises part of the payload the vehicle is rated to carry, you can't ignore it. Seems very reasonable.

jcl is offline   Reply With Quote