Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2007, 08:20 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Question 96 Blazer with factory trailer hitch - towing capacity?

Hello, I'm the third owner of 96 Chevy Blazer, and I believe the hitch came on it from the factory, but I don't know for certain. On the trailer hitch receiver, it has 2 different sets of numbers: Dead Weight and Weight Distributing. I'm counting on it being ready to tow the much larger Weight Distributing load capacities, but I have no idea what the difference is, nor how to tell the difference. Can anyone tell me how it would have come from the factory, or how to tell for sure which set of load numbers is applicable to me? TIA for any help.
BlazinHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
The hitch should be capable of towing what is listed for weight distributing, if you use a weight distibuting hitch. However, what the hitch is rated for, and what the vehicle is rated for may be two different things. If the vehicle towing capacity is not listed in the owners manual, or if you don't have the owners manual, I'd check with Chevrolet if I were you.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:54 AM   #3

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH
The hitch should be capable of towing what is listed for weight distributing, if you use a weight distibuting hitch.
Thanks for the reply. That's the question I have... what's the difference between Dead Weight and Weight Distributing, and how can I tell which applies to my vehicle? The vehicle can tow 5,500 lbs, but it's the hitch setup I'm unfamiliar with and unsure of.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
A weight distributing hitch is like this:

It distributes the tongue weight of the trailer, some back onto the trailer, and the rest to the center of the tow vehicle, if it is setup correctly.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinHaze
Hello, I'm the third owner of 96 Chevy Blazer, and I believe the hitch came on it from the factory, but I don't know for certain. On the trailer hitch receiver, it has 2 different sets of numbers: Dead Weight and Weight Distributing. I'm counting on it being ready to tow the much larger Weight Distributing load capacities, but I have no idea what the difference is, nor how to tell the difference. Can anyone tell me how it would have come from the factory, or how to tell for sure which set of load numbers is applicable to me? TIA for any help.
What size trailer and weight are thinking about towing with the Blazer? Which engine is in the Blazer? The Blazer has a relatively short wheelbase so you will be limited as to the size trailer you can tow safely.

Below is a review of the 96 Blazer by RV news. I think the capacity is on the high side and would not try to go near what is suggested.

RV News Tests Chevy's '96 Blazer
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:23 PM   #6

Currently Looking...
Quote:
A weight distributing hitch is like this:

[image]
It distributes the tongue weight of the trailer, some back onto the trailer, and the rest to the center of the tow vehicle, if it is setup correctly.
Thank you, I think I understand better. I'm not sure how that takes weight off the tongue (I should have taken that physics class), but now I know what I'm looking at. I'm still a little confused about the two sets of numbers on the hitch receiver, though. What does the 'Dead Weight' part refer to? And why are those numbers so low?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
What size trailer and weight are thinking about towing with the Blazer? Which engine is in the Blazer? The Blazer has a relatively short wheelbase so you will be limited as to the size trailer you can tow safely.
Thanks for the heads-up about the wheelbase, I'll be sure to keep that in consideration. I am (obviously) a total noob in all this, and just starting to learn what I need to know for safe trailering. I hope to find something comfortably under the towing capacity, which GM says is 5,500 lbs for this model Blazer. So ideally, I would like to find something under 4,000 lbs or so, perhaps in the 18' range?

Here are some specs on the vehicle:

Engine Size (Metric/CID) 4.3L/262
Engine: Vortec 4300 V6 SFI
Horsepower 190 @ 4400
Torque 250 @ 2800
Platform GM GMT330 platform
Length 176.8 in
Width 67.8 in
Height 64.5 in
Curb weight: 3814
Wheelbase: 100.5
Turning circle: 35.2
Brakes, f/r: 4 wheel ABS, power-assist, front 10.5 x 1.03 disc/rear 9.5 x .20 drum
Tires: P235/75R-15

Quote:
I think the capacity is on the high side and would not try to go near what is suggested.

According to the owner's manual, the towing capacity on the 2wd auto is 5,500 lbs, and the hitch receiver has a 6,000 lbs 'distributing weight' listed. I'd like to avoid ever exceeding 4,000 lbs in tow, as a safety margin. Does that sound about right to you?
Old 10-04-2007, 12:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
Thank you, I think I understand better. I'm not sure how that takes weight off the tongue (I should have taken that physics class),
The physics is discussed here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...sis-19236.html
Nick.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
BlazinHaze,

"Dead Weight" on the hitch, simply means tongue weight without a WD hitch.

I think the limiting factor in your equasion will be the V6 engine, and your plan to stay with an 18 to 19' trailer is a good idea. A trailer of that length will be way below the max weight rating of the Blazer, but the engine would be strugling too much with a heavier/longer trailer, IMHO.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:28 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
1959 17' Pacer
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Daytona Beach , Florida
Dania-

I had to buy hitch equipment in FLL, and used a guy in Dania, he had EVERYTHING, and knows what he's doing. There is a building on the NW corner of Ravenswood and Stirling, and he's next to the jet ski shop- its up the Ravenswood side. Hitch Stop? Pit Stop? Can't remember, but he's seriously the best in that area. I go back to him from Daytona when I need something, he's good, but busy, have patience with him...
EllieZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:20 AM   #10

Currently Looking...
Thanks for all your input guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
Thanks for the link, but I think that discussion is a little beyond me. I found this page that explains a WD setup in more layman terms, but it doesn't explain quite how it's acheived... Trailer Hitch-T-One Connectors

Quote:
"Dead Weight" on the hitch, simply means tongue weight without a WD hitch.
That's what I thought too, but it's odd to me. There's a sticker on the hitch that looks like this:
Code:
                      V5
                 Hitch Ratings
Dead Weight   |   Weight Distributing
2000 lbs max  |   Trailer Weight     6000 lbs max  
200 lbs max   |   Tongue Load       750 lbs max
I've dropped in on Chevy dealership and showed it to the service manager, as well as a couple of U-Haul places near here, and they weren't entirely sure what was up either, but they all said that it's a class 3 hitch, and should handle 6000 without the WD.

So on the one hand, I should trust their expertise, but I also don't want to make a huge and tragic mistake becuse of some confusion... and that Dead Weight rating really has me confused. Could my class 3 reciever really only handle 2000/200 without WD? Seems very low to me.

I'm not sure how relative this is to the functionality of a WD hitch, but my reciever doesn't have any kind of elaborate frame or shape, just one length of square tubing bolted to the underside by brackets at both ends. I've seen in some discussions where they talk about transferring part of the load to the tow vehicle's front axle, and I don't get that at all, at least not with what I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieZ
I had to buy hitch equipment in FLL, and used a guy in Dania, he had EVERYTHING, and knows what he's doing. There is a building on the NW corner of Ravenswood and Stirling, and he's next to the jet ski shop- its up the Ravenswood side. Hitch Stop? Pit Stop? Can't remember, but he's seriously the best in that area. I go back to him from Daytona when I need something, he's good, but busy, have patience with him...
Thanks for the tip. I haven't found much around these parts, and that sounds like a place I'd like to visit. I'd like to call before heading down that way, especially if he's busy. I tried to search for it, but I haven't turned up anything. Any other ideas what the name of the place would be? Is it a marine shop? Got an old credit card receipt maybe?
Old 10-05-2007, 01:18 AM   #11
Rivet Master

If the hitch is the original equipment, it would appear to me to be quite clear that the maximum trailer weight is 2000 pounds when a trailer is just on the ball, but the maximum trailer weight increases to 6000 pounds if a weight distributing hitch is used.
Think of the arms of a weight distributing hitch as being like the handles sticking out of a 4 wheel "wheel barrow". When the arms are lifted up by the WD chain tension, the load on the rear wheels of the tow vehicles and hitch are decreased, and the load on the front wheels of the tow vehicle are increased, so as to improve steering traction. As the hitch, including its bolts and welds, are subjected to less loading when a WD hitch is used, a higher weight trailer can be hauled.
Nick.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Quote:
Could my class 3 reciever really only handle 2000/200 without WD? Seems very low to me.
The strength of any system will relate to the strength of the weakest link. If the vehicle designers have rated the frame and suspension of the tow vehicle at a maximum of 2000 pounds of trailer on the ball, then the strength of any hitch attched to it will not achieve a higher tow rating, IMHO.
Nick.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:25 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
The strength of any system will relate to the strength of the weakest link. If the vehicle designers have rated the frame and suspension of the tow vehicle at a maximum of 2000 pounds of trailer on the ball, then the strength of any hitch attched to it will not achieve a higher tow rating, IMHO.
Nick.
The Blazer's max design point for towing strength is probably reflected in the higher 5500 lb WD towing number. The Blazer's max design point for cargo weight (or hitch strength) is most likely what the designers used to determine lower 2000 lb trailer number because, without a WD hitch, the tongue weight of a 2000 lb trailer would exceed the Blazer's cargo (or hitch) capacity before it exceeded the combined towing capacity.

............Scott
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:25 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
1959 17' Pacer
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Daytona Beach , Florida
Can't find the name, but the address and directions are accurate- double checked with my man- I-95 to Stirling Road, west, about 1 miles and just over RR tracks make a right on Ravenswood/Anglers Ave, and its the first set of warehouses on the NW corner, and he has 3 or 4 bays- you can see the sign, we just don't remember. Worth driving there, he's the best source we've ever used... good luck.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:42 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieZ
Can't find the name, but the address and directions are accurate- double checked with my man- I-95 to Stirling Road, west, about 1 miles and just over RR tracks make a right on Ravenswood/Anglers Ave, and its the first set of warehouses on the NW corner, and he has 3 or 4 bays- you can see the sign, we just don't remember. Worth driving there, he's the best source we've ever used... good luck.

The Hitch Shop (Since 1987) 5933 Ravenswood Road, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312
is this it?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:58 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
1959 17' Pacer
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Daytona Beach , Florida
That would probably be it- sounds right because I know that SR 84 is SW24th ave, the numbers count down, and the address should be quite a ways from SR84- at least thats what my man says. We can't remember his name, big guy, on the chubby side, we try and save all our needs til we go there- he's cheaper and better than CW and doesn't sell the Chinese stuff first- has it, but for almost the same, we bought DT or Reese- easier to get parts for when you need it. Good luck- EZ
Old 10-06-2007, 11:23 AM   #17
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
. . . I've dropped in on Chevy dealership and showed it to the service manager, as well as a couple of U-Haul places near here, and they weren't entirely sure what was up either, but they all said that it's a class 3 hitch, and should handle 6000 without the WD.
That's pretty outrageous! No way could a Blazer handle 6000 lbs dead weight. I woud go someplace else, like the guy on Ravenswood.

I think the reason your Blazer has a 200 lb limit on deadweight tongue weight may have to do with the weight distribution between the front and rear axle. If you look at the effect of 200 lbs on the hitch, it really shows up as 300 lbs weight on the rear axle, and 100 lbs less weight on the steer axle. I think this redistribution of weight may be the limit that the designers felt comfortable with. Perhaps it is lack of traction on the front axle that limits the deadweight?

On the other hand, if you put a 750 lb tongue weight on the hitch and use weight distributing gear, you are adding weight to the front axle instread of removing it. So with a WD setup, you have added probably 225 lbs to the front axle, maybe 400 lbs to the rear axle, and the remainder back to the trailer axle. The designers were apparently comfortable with the higher total weight, as long as part of the weight was transferred to the steer axle to maintain good steering response.

Just an opinion. Basically what Nick said, but I used his equations to dummy up some numbers for this example.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:59 PM   #18

Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post

Below is a review of the 96 Blazer by RV news. I think the capacity is on the high side and would not try to go near what is suggested.

Hello,

right now we're on in the market for our Airstream, especially the Bambi (16-19) or Safari Sport (22). Up to now, my main concern has been the TV-a well maintained 2003 Chevy Blazer-rated at 9500 # GCWR. I talk with people at work who tow trailers (no Airstreams) and drive BIG trucks. When they know I want to tow with my Blazer (100" WB, 4.3, V-6), I get the "you got to be out of your mind" look and lecture--along with a load of good information about trailering.

I know they know what they're talking about but THIS is an AIRSTREAM maybe I can do it. Now, here I am-new member, BTW-to hear from Airstream owners. I suppose I could defer the trailer purchase until I buy the Trailerblazer or Tahoe but our decision to purchase the trailer has a utilitarian bent. I am working on the road away from home and paying a lot in rent. Buying the trailer will let me own for all that money. So, my initial towing won't be short road trips. But we'll definitely be at the beach with IT this spring!
sturm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Find the TRAILER FIRST

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturm View Post
Hello,

right now we're on in the market for our Airstream, especially the Bambi (16-19) or Safari Sport (22). Up to now, my main concern has been the TV-a well maintained 2003 Chevy Blazer-rated at 9500 # GCWR. I talk with people at work who tow trailers (no Airstreams) and drive BIG trucks. When they know I want to tow with my Blazer (100" WB, 4.3, V-6), I get the "you got to be out of your mind" look and lecture--along with a load of good information about trailering.

I know they know what they're talking about but THIS is an AIRSTREAM maybe I can do it. Now, here I am-new member, BTW-to hear from Airstream owners. I suppose I could defer the trailer purchase until I buy the Trailerblazer or Tahoe but our decision to purchase the trailer has a utilitarian bent. I am working on the road away from home and paying a lot in rent. Buying the trailer will let me own for all that money. So, my initial towing won't be short road trips. But we'll definitely be at the beach with IT this spring!
No, find the RIGHT trailer first. Then find a tow vehicle to pull it. If you find the RIGHT trailer youll have it for 20 years. You'll go through 3, 4 or 5 tow vehicles in that time.

A dozen people other than I can also chime in here. First Airstream was an 05 22 CCD, which I fulltimed in for 14 months. Next is my current 25 FB SE Safari. I'm drooling over the 27 FB CCD. Sooner or later I'll pull the trigger on that one.

Save yourself a TON of money and find an Airstream you can live in /live with FIRST. Go to a forums rally, go to a dealer with a big inventory. Sit on the throne, stand in the shower, lie down on the bed. Now imagine having your family with you (I assume they will travel with you at least some of the time or visit you periodically.) Corner beds or beds where one partner has to crawl over the other to get to the bathroom, and the tiny bathroom right next to the bed where there is "complete disclosure" of what your partner is doing in there??

Get the Airstream FIRST.

Paual
Old 08-31-2008, 06:17 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturm View Post
2003 Chevy Blazer-rated at 9500 # GCWR.
(100" WB, 4.3, V-6), I get the "you got to be out of your mind" look and lecture--along with a load of good information about trailering.
sturm. Certainly you should make sure the Airstream model you pick matches your needs. Many of us are not in position to buy both a new tow vehicle and a new Airstream. Your Blazer does give you many nice choices in Airstream models. First see if you are in the ballpark.

With a curb weigth of 3850lbs, and a 9500lb GCWR the Blazer gives you the rough capacity of 5650lbs, which would be the weight of your Airstream plus people and cargo.

A 22' Sport has a base weight (empty, no fluids) of 3400lbs which leaves you a nice margin of 2250lbs (5650lbs minus 3400lbs) for people and stuff. So you are definately in the ballpark. If that looks like a good combo to you, you will need to do a little more arithmetic to make sure you properly distribute your payload between the Blazer and the Airstream (the Sport's tongue weight puts about 350lbs on to your Blazer).

Some will try to convince you that you'll need a giant truck to tow safely, but just do the numbers. Airstreams are light and easy to tow. The Blazer and a 22' Sport looks like a nice combo that you can set up for safe economical towing! If you get serious - just post again for help with a more detailed calculation.

...............Scott
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote