Old 11-14-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
8ft. versus 6ft. truck bed on crew cab

I would like to hear advice on the opinions of those veterans out there who have made the decision of the truck bed size option. I need to return my leased 3/4tn burb and have decided to go diesel with a GMC. I would add a topper with access window and rubber casket connector to push ac into the bed. Rear with a bed rug and bed rollout tray for access. I drove a 6' bed today and it is definitely smaller than the storage space available in the burb with the 2nd row of buckets folded down. But the duramax 4x4 was almost 20'' longer body wise. So to get the same storage I would need to go for the 8' bed. The seats folded up in the crew cab are not the same as having those seats folded down in the burb. I have been warned by both ford and gm dealers that a crew w/8' bed is difficult to park etc. I noticed that the enlarged maxi crew cab in the dodge doesn't even come with an 8' bed. I plan on purchase and to keep the vehicle till the wheels fall off!

chaimemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:08 PM   #2
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
8ft vs 6ft bed

I have f-250 crew with 6ft bed and can second that parking is a challenge.
I have the BedSlide with hard bed cover. I removed the back seat and built a plate form for the dogs.
I am a full timer and this works for me, but each too his own.
Every year I carry less. If I don't use it in a year I trash it.

Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:13 PM   #3
. , .
hi chaimemet...

the extra wheelbase is valuable for towing stability, along with the storage space.

and offsets ANY parking issues imo...

my long bed crew cab ford has the longest wheelbase of the 3 (172") and i've had no trouble parking it.

yes it is nearly 22 feet long...

sure urban lots are an issue, but so are parking garages just because of height issues.

so i always park away from the tiny cars and suvs...

on the ford side another benefit is a larger fuel tank (12+gallons) on for the diesel...

ignore the sales person...

TEST DRIVE 'EM and decide 4 yourself...

the highway ride is better with the longer wheelbase too, but this may not matter for some...

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:14 PM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Hauling Bodies?

Originally Posted by chaimemet
I would add a topper with access window and rubber casket connector to push ac into the bed.
Hauling bodies and need to keep them cool? Do not get a compresion gasket. It rubs the paint off the truck. A boot around the windows works but are hard to install.

Originally Posted by chaimemet
I noticed that the enlarged maxi crew cab in the dodge doesn't even come with an 8' bed. I plan on purchase and to keep the vehicle till the wheels fall off!
I had a standard cab long bed pickup. I Killed it (see my website). I replaced it with a extended cab long bed pickup. Three reasons for the long bed. 1) larger fuel tank. (Ford) 2) more room to store stuff. 3) longer wheel base for larger trailers.
Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:32 PM   #5
1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I have both. I drive an F-350 Crew Cab long bed powerstroke two wheel drive dually as my everyday truck. It is the sweetest driving and towing machine I've ever owned. Then we have an F-250 Crew Cab four wheel drive short bed that we use to tow the Airstream and for my wife to use occaisonally as she needs it. The F-250 is fitted with a tonneau cover and bedslide. It rides a little rougher due to the four wheel drive but overall we feel the ride is great. My wife isn't quite as intimidated by the shorter F-250. Either size truck should give you great service in GM's truck line as well.
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:13 PM   #6
2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
I had a GMC 6.5 TD (SRW 2WD) club coupe with 8 foot bed. I now have Ford PSD crew cab(SRW 2WD)with 8 foot bed. I have driven both highway and city to include NYC. I prefer having the crew cab for the extra room for passengers, dog and stuff. The Ford tows better due to the longer wheelbase. When I retire I may get another diesel, 4WD SRW, crew cab with the shorter bed, hence shorter wheelbase. It makes it a little easier to turn and back up in tighter spots with a camper. No matter what truck you get, I highly recommend getting a power sliding rear window. No more reaching over your shoulder to open the window. CR Laurence is the supplier to most the manufacturers. Catalog Number PSC998S - CRL POWR-Slider for 1999+ Ford F-250/F-350/F-450/F-550 Super Duty=
Good luck.
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:45 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
2013 30' International
lubbock , Texas
'06 dodge mega cab 2wd

same length as quad cab with 8' bed. I find myself parking at the outskirts of the parking lots. but then, i need the exercise anyway. the length probably shows up more by going over the curb with a rear wheel....keep forgeting about the length. but I absolutely love size of the interior, back seat leg room and the seats lay flat. love it love it love it! and with the cummins, it tows like a dream.
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:14 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member
2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
tow bed length

Being located in SFL I would need to circulate some air back there hence the need for some sort of casket to funnel air back to the bed. I believe the longer bed might ride better. I will certaintly test drive an 8ft. On our trip out west this past summer I had the burb pretty much loaded. I have a Waco 110/12v/24v frig/freezer set up hooked up to 2 dedicated AGM batteries charging off the engine. Also have a 1500w inverter. All of the juice array was perfectly installed behind the plastic bed sidewalls. The freezer was packed with meat for a 7 week trip. It pulled off of the batteries directly. 2 Honda generators I2000s stored in rubbermaid containers to keep the fumes down. Shorepower and water hoses in a collapsible round bin and of course a folding Montague bike. And our STUFF!
I plan on getting a front hitch to haul the bikes on the new TV. I am embarassed to say that I did not use the gens even once in 9k miles!!! We were newbies it was our first trip besides the one picking up the AS. We travelled too far in too short of a time to scout out areas for boondocking. I was not about to meander down some gravel road in Montana looking for some perfect glen. But to not want to do this.... I would not want to not have that option. It just needs more planning and information than we have had till now.
chaimemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:31 AM   #9
Retired Moderator
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i'm on my second long box extended cab chevy. it is the only way to go in my opinion. sure makes hauling motorcycles easier!john
you call them ferrets, i call them weasels.
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:41 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member
2005 28' Safari
Port Orchard , Washington
Well I had both trucks, 3/4 Dodge 4 door diesel, long and short.

Had the 2wd shortbed first, loved it, set the tire air pressure and the hitch bars correct, and it won't even twitch. Rack and pinnion steering, nice.

I had to upgrade to 4 wheel drive for work, So what the heck, got the long bed.

Hated it. Sold it because I hated to drive it.
Long-bed was Tooooo long to park, but it automaticly finds the inside curb of an intersection, BA--BUMP. Can't get into a parking place without a
5 point turn. Parking lots are laid-out for small cars.
And the steering design, (boy, that front end design won dubya dubya too).
After driving a truck with rack and pinnion,
the old front end design of a 4wd made me crazy. It doesn't turn correct.

Yes I'm back in a shortbed, 2wd, rack and pinnion steering, and love it.
The difference in turning radius is only 5 feet, but you can turn a shortbed around on a two lane road, you MUST have a driveway (and no oncoming traffic) to reverse course in a longbed.

Yes, it is expensive to trade trucks that are 1 year old.
Druupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:42 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member
2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
It's a truck and a lot of money. You can always decide not to use the extra 2 ft', but it is real hard to extend your short box when bopping on down to the local lumber yard to get a few sheets of plywood.

I buy long beds every time since they don't significantly change the ease/difficulty of driving a truck, insignificant to cost, and boy is it handy when you need it.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:22 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member
2005 28' Safari
Port Orchard , Washington
And, as soon as you put a toolbox or spare fuel tank in the bed,

it isn't 8' of cargo space.

That was the (improper assumption on my part) reason I got a longbed, and carried plywood with the tailgate up, once. The important cargo space was the back seat. The bed was for the chainsaw, compressor, generator, spare fuel, gravel, concrete, powercords.
That would be (icky-sticky-stinky-dirty) things in the bed,
plywood goes on top of the toolbox-over the tailgate,
long stuff goes on the overhead rack.

But yes, when compareing longbed to shortbed while towing,
there is VERY little difference, TV tire air pressure has more impact on stabillity than bed length.
Druupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:08 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari SS SE
Alton , Illinois
I would go with 8' bed. I wouldn't consider short bed. Extra storage, more stability all for just a minimal increase in price. Parking isn't an issue for me. I have always managed OK.
The "Ann Rutledge"
Brad Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:26 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
We have the short bed crew cab diesel. Some of the main reasons for going this way: 1) it fits into our garage; 2) it can be parked, though you need to plan your moves, while an 8 foot with the crew cab is a bear to park; 3) with two children we need the crewcab vs the extended cab; and 4) it is my wife's daily driver.

The smaller fuel tank is a minus, but we are usually in need of a break before we need to refuel. Our four bikes and camping supplies fit nicely into the 6.5 foot box, though we do not utilize a topper.

Hi Yo Silver, Away II?
looking for our next AS
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote