Old 12-18-2007, 08:54 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Waited to post

I got my new 08 crew cab long bed RED Silverado the day before Thanksgiving. It's humongous! It has many similarities in instrumentation to my 03 Suburban, but the wheelbase is noticibly longer. Parking was not a joyful experience for the first week or so, but I am adjusting nicely. (If you ever see me parallel parking it - hell will have frozen over.)

I still have "new vehicle-itis" so I park at the far end of parking lots, and whenever possible find a pull through space.... where I can drive out, not back out. In an uncrowded lot, I'll choose to have the back end hang into another space rather than having the nose stick out into traffic. At work I always back into a spot that's over the lawn to keep the front of the truck somewhat less prominent. Backing in a parking lot is hazardous - I cannot see that a small low car behind me is also backing up. A backup camera may be a good idea. I've figured out why so many people remove the tailgate and put in those nets - visibility! Mine doesn't have the towing mirrors - but they are on order. I hope they resolve some of those blind spot issues... though the standard mirrors still had pretty good visibility when I was towing the Airstream.

Paula

The limited towing I've done so far has been FANTASTIC. I'm looking forward to taking a weekender or two in Jan-Feb just for the towing practice.

Making a legal U-Turn is something I'll only do on a six lane or wider road.

I'm happy; and when I go to a rally and want to take including food for 30, 1000 feet of white hose and extension cords - I'll surely have the room. I may just have to get a scooter or ATV to fill up the bed!

Paula

Old 12-18-2007, 09:03 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Mr. Foiled Again,

Congrats on your new TV. I noticed the mirrors that came with my vehicle though being not the rubber gasket electric accordion type that the burb had, do offer a better blind spot coverage. But I could not find one with the camper mirrors. Those camper mirrors also are redisigned for the new body and they do not retract close to the body therefore they stick out quite a bit. I called GM parts and they wanted an obscene price for purchasing the camper style. Where did you order yours?

Old 12-18-2007, 09:50 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
WOW, talk about long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
I got my new 08 crew cab long bed RED Silverado the day before Thanksgiving. It's humongous!

Parking was not a joyful experience for the first week or so, but I am adjusting nicely. (If you ever see me parallel parking it - hell will have frozen over.)

The limited towing I've done so far has been FANTASTIC. I'm looking forward to taking a weekender or two in Jan-Feb just for the towing practice.

Making a legal U-Turn is something I'll only do on a six lane or wider road.

I'm happy; and when I go to a rally and want to take including food for 30, 1000 feet of white hose and extension cords - I'll surely have the room. I may just have to get a scooter or ATV to fill up the bed!

Paula
So I am guessing that your vote would be for a long bed! Another new Red truck on the forum, must be contagious....everyone is going to know when you arrive.....

And I bet you will parallel park that baby way before hell freezes over, soon it will be just as easy as driving a compact...kinda.

A BIG CONGRATULATIONS.

time