Old 07-24-2006, 12:22 AM   #15
_

. , .
hi haresteam.....

nice name, are we related?

i've quickly read your posts now.
how exciting you've got the grand'ole opry trailer and want to roam the planet. now ya need a t.v. for under 5k$ that will be up to the task of towing your new/old trailer....and ya want something that won't cost 5K$ again over, just keeping it on the road!

why did you give up on the idea of a truck?

if you are going now for the suv stuff...get an older suburban not the yukon. better suited to towing, more interior space...they've proven themselves ahead of airstreams....

this yukon might work out...or not. it would be my choice...
http://www.airforums.com/forum...n-21080-2.html

you are getting good at collecting info on the t.v. don't forget the rear end/drive ratio....that is one of the things that will come up whenever towing is needed...

still i'd prefer an old diesel...that runs well, over a gas, but anything in your price range may have issues. towing puts stress on the drivetrain/chassis, suspension and tires that can bring out problems...many of the sellers of these used vehicles don't really know the issues with towing...

another suggestion is try to keep all the info about your process, buying and so on...in one thread...it will be easier to get good help imo....because once we know who ya are and what the issues are, it's easier to offer opinions...that are more specific...

you haven't told us how many miles or how many days you expect to be on the road.....any chance you will just pull into some place ya like and stay awhile?

just keep adding your possible tow options here....and the pictures are great!
or keep adding to this thread that tells us about you and the trailer...
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ind-24365.html

keep reading all the threads on towing and you will get smarter, then more confused, then smarter and so on....

your buying timeline is short, but life is hopefully long....
what ever you buy may need replacement or repairs in short order...
but so what....
just keep the big goal in mind...

regards
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:40 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Nashville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to harestream
Thumbs up Well we ended up with a Suburban in the end

Thanks for all of your help everybody. I was so clueless when it came to selecting the right towing vehicle. Just when we thought we made up our minds, then we'd find out that we'd have to look for something else again which would be more suitable. We kept being told to just get a suburban, and we really didn't want to do it. Wanted something smaller and more practicle, and then.. we found the best option.. an 86 suburban with only 47k original miles, and only about 30 miles from us, so we headed out and bought it right away. for $2,950 its as clean as can be, no rust, and only very few small repairs needed to be done. We got a receiver hitch installed, a brake controller and we plan on getting 3/4 ton springs installed cause we tried towing for the first time and experienced some sag. we bottomed out leaving a gas station. but overall it towed extremely well, and we've been getting great milage considering.. 20mpg not towing on the highways and we think about 12-13 when towing dry. So thanks again everybody! We are so happy with what we got and we love the truck!!! Here is a photo!
[/IMG]

Old 08-16-2006, 08:23 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

.................Two suggestions you might want to consider , (1) Have a mechanic install a Transmission temperature gauge on the RETURN line going back into your tranny .(2) Next , You might want to also have a Transmission Cooler installed as well . Excessive heat is what Kills Auto trany's very quickly and with a gauge you can Monitor your temps on a real time basis . Might also look into having Synthetic fluid installed in the trany to replace what is in there now . Nice Rig , r66
Old 08-16-2006, 08:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Congrats on the Suburban.. You may be surprised how easy it is to fill up the area in the rear with "stuff"...

A couple ideas on rear spring alternatives... First, stiffer springs are not an OK substitute for load leveling hitch with spring bars.. If you don't have those, they should come first, to distribute load to front axle of Suburban and improve handling.

There are also assist springs that bolt on rather than replace existing springs, and ride won't be as harsh when empty, though you may not drive around much in Suburban by itself. It is also possible to install air-adjustible Gabriel Shocks on rear of Suburban, which will raise rear end and increase load carrying to avoid bottoming out. You can lower air pressure in shocks when not towing as well...

Keep an eye on diff fluid levels, as low fluid can lead to failed axles in rear.

Enjoy!

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:26 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Nashville , Tennessee
suburban lovin'

i did forget to mention that we did have already a transmission cooler installed, but all the rest of what you all mentioned is very helpful. ill read the thread back and forth and inquire about all my spring options. thanks a million..
Old 08-17-2006, 08:08 PM   #20
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi harestream--I towed our 1973 27' Overlander for a while with a 1984 1/2 ton Suburban with a 5.7ltr and a 3.73 rear. Had no problem with tail drag. I don't think heavier rear springs on the Suburban will solve your problem. You mentioned that you have a receiver hitch, but do you have a load distribution hitch? You should have, and when properly adjusted your Suburban should not sag in the rear. Looks like you got the deal of the century on the Suburban.--Frank S
Old 08-17-2006, 10:22 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Nashville , Tennessee
Thumbs up no distribution hitch

Hi Frank. Thanks for the advice. I will definitely look into getting a distribution hitch for the suburban. yeah we feel really good about our purchase. it even still has the original stock am/fm radio. not even a tape deck, and we love how it looks with the airstream. yay! thanks again!
-Kelly
Old 08-18-2006, 10:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Very nice! You seem to be all set except for the WD hitch. I wish you years of happy camping and fun adventures. Will you be camping this weekend?

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:50 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Nashville , Tennessee
Thumbs up oh i would like to go camping...

I wish we were ready and able to be at the NH rally this weekend, but no go. I know we aren't supposed to do this, but I have a feeling the first time we go out camping with it will be our first trip, and thats when we immediately go full timing. Did I mention that the first time me or my boyfriend ever stepped foot into an airstream was the first one we looked at and the one we bought! I know we are crazy, but so EXCITED!!! I think it's gonna work out just fine. I've been daydreaming of this plan since i was 18-19 years old.
-Kelly

btw., WD hitch, on the list...
Old 08-18-2006, 09:46 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Maryville , Tennessee
I have an 03 Chevy Astro for sale. I have used it to tow my 73 31ft Soveriegn Airstream with-no problems. I used an Eaz Lift weight dist hitch and added a 12,000GVW Trans cooler. It was not ideal, but was satisfactory. I think it would be fine with 4000lb to 5000lb. The Astro is listed in the classifieds section of the forum.