Old 03-23-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1975 27' Overlander
Salt Lake City , Utah
Wink 85 Ford F250 diesel pull 27ft. Ambassador??

We just purchased an ol' 85 Ford F250 diesel to pull the AS trailer we are still in the market for..looking at around 27ft..Will this size be ok? New to diesel engines, will there be more of a "pull" on the engine, or would we be able to keep a constant speed?? Is this to big?? We got the diesel so that we would have more options. What do you think?? We may also we converting to burn vegetable oil. Not sure yet how it will effect the towing..Know anything about this??

LucyPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
. , .
can a 85 ford tow stuff?

much depends on the stuff.

to avoid wasting money, FIND the trailer first.

decide what trailer length, what floor plan, what era and so on first.

then select or modify the tv to meet the trailer needs...

for example you might decide a bambi or old small unit fit your needs perfectly...

for this the 85 ford is unnecessary.

OR u might opt for a nearly new, never used newer unit...

in which case the 85 ford might be inadequate.

there are LOTS of issues with old vehicles and old trailers...

but get the trailer sorted out FIRST.

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Having owned that truck, and towed not only that length trailer, but also a 31' trailer, the answer is,it depends.
If your new truck is an automatic, it will be seriously slow, as top end is about 60 mph, unless you get an over/underdrive kit (a couple thousand extra). It will pull any trailer of these sizes through about 1981 or so, after that, a newer trailer owner will have to add their input.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I had the same truck too. If that is the original motor and you are looking at a fairly new 27' AS, I'm not sure that is going to be a good combo. My 27' AS weighs over 8000 lbs and my old truck would have struggled on grades with that kind of weight. I agree with overlander63 and tons of black soot will come out of the exhaust on grades too. A little embarrassing in this day and age. Those early diesels had problems with head gaskets too, and the stress of pulling a heavy trailer on some of those long steep grades in your area could cause them to leak.
hhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote