Well it is back togeather sitting on all 4 wheels again, this time capable of bearing weight because it now has rear shackle hangers.
I am totally happy, I threw the cab back on, bolted it down for the first time in a long time, then threw the seats in it. I got to hop in and sit behind the wheel, and it was a very very gratifying feeling, I rested my foot up on the clutch and the other on the gas, and it just felt right. The only thing that was missing was the stick shift sticking up out of the floor that will soon be there too.
In my head I immagined what it would be like when the truck is running and driving, how it will sound, how it will ride. How it will feel. It is one of the best feelings I have felt in a long time.
As you can see from the image above I even have the steering hooked up. The truck is definately going to need a cross over steering/hi steer setup, but that will come soon enough.
You can see how tall the ride height is going to be, it is up there a ways, keep in mind that currently these are 3/4 ton springs, and before too long I am going to take them down and have a leaf added and then press new bushings in them, this will help carry the weight of the cummins, and it will keep the truck capable of hauling a heavy load.
Here are a few pics of the weld in process on the shackle hangers.
Above you can see how tight the fit is.
I used plenty of heat and burnt them in doing a quarter of the piece at a time. I got really good penatration on the weld.
Then I welded the rest out, and was able to reassembel the front end.
The next big step is getting the frame where the motor mounts are going to go boxed in and getting the motor mounts cutout and welded in. Hopefully by thursday the truck has an engine sitting in it.
Today I did order the Cummins Bellhousing for my NV4500, it should be here by friday.
Next week I am going to get the input shaft and the bearing retainer, with that I will be good to go.
As well I have come to the decision that I am going to run a Divorced transfer case. Going to build my own kit for it however, and in order to do so I am going to wind up ordering a 32 spline input shaft for it, then I will make the bearing retainer and seal cup.
As well going to have to devise a mounting system for it, I am seriously considering a piece that will bolt into the driver side PTO cover.
Lots of stuff to figure out there yet, but for the time being I am just going to consontrate on the things that will make it run. Hopefully I will be able to fire the engine in another month or so.