Old 03-22-2011, 02:34 AM   #15
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Well it is back togeather sitting on all 4 wheels again, this time capable of bearing weight because it now has rear shackle hangers.

I am totally happy, I threw the cab back on, bolted it down for the first time in a long time, then threw the seats in it. I got to hop in and sit behind the wheel, and it was a very very gratifying feeling, I rested my foot up on the clutch and the other on the gas, and it just felt right. The only thing that was missing was the stick shift sticking up out of the floor that will soon be there too.
In my head I immagined what it would be like when the truck is running and driving, how it will sound, how it will ride. How it will feel. It is one of the best feelings I have felt in a long time.

As you can see from the image above I even have the steering hooked up. The truck is definately going to need a cross over steering/hi steer setup, but that will come soon enough.

You can see how tall the ride height is going to be, it is up there a ways, keep in mind that currently these are 3/4 ton springs, and before too long I am going to take them down and have a leaf added and then press new bushings in them, this will help carry the weight of the cummins, and it will keep the truck capable of hauling a heavy load.
Here are a few pics of the weld in process on the shackle hangers.

Above you can see how tight the fit is.
I used plenty of heat and burnt them in doing a quarter of the piece at a time. I got really good penatration on the weld.

Then I welded the rest out, and was able to reassembel the front end.
The next big step is getting the frame where the motor mounts are going to go boxed in and getting the motor mounts cutout and welded in. Hopefully by thursday the truck has an engine sitting in it.
Today I did order the Cummins Bellhousing for my NV4500, it should be here by friday.
Next week I am going to get the input shaft and the bearing retainer, with that I will be good to go.
As well I have come to the decision that I am going to run a Divorced transfer case. Going to build my own kit for it however, and in order to do so I am going to wind up ordering a 32 spline input shaft for it, then I will make the bearing retainer and seal cup.
As well going to have to devise a mounting system for it, I am seriously considering a piece that will bolt into the driver side PTO cover.
Lots of stuff to figure out there yet, but for the time being I am just going to consontrate on the things that will make it run. Hopefully I will be able to fire the engine in another month or so.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #18
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Very interesting project. I wish my Sequoia had a Cummins in it every time I tow the Airstream. That will be a "Beast"!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #19
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Very interesting project. I wish my Sequoia had a Cummins in it every time I tow the Airstream. That will be a "Beast"!
You know a 4BT Cummins would go right in there.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:26 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Great job. Really enjoyed the videos. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:08 AM   #21
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Big enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
You know a 4BT Cummins would go right in there.
Yes it would fit. But they aren't cheap and only 110 HP stock. I think it would be too much for it towing 8,500 lbs. Will a 6BT fit?

Old 03-24-2011, 07:14 AM   #22
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Yes it would fit. But they aren't cheap and only 110 HP stock. I think it would be too much for it towing 8,500 lbs. Will a 6BT fit?
Nope, a 12 valve is a tight fit under my hood.

with a 4bt they are seriously underated, I know by adding an intercooler and turning up the pump and a couple of other things it is not hard to get them to make about 250 HP and about 450-500 ft/lbs of torque
Old 03-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #23
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Hmmmm that's a lot of pulling power. How about fuel economy when towing? Your suggestion got me thinking and searching. Probably easier to buy a 4 door dodge pickup!

Old 03-24-2011, 08:08 AM   #24
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Hmmmm that's a lot of pulling power. How about fuel economy when towing? Your suggestion got me thinking and searching. Probably easier to buy a 4 door dodge pickup!
If I was looking for a newish truck with a diesel, I would get a 92-00 Chevrolet crew cab dually, then get a cummins put in it, if you can find one that has the 5 speed manual it is a really simple swap since dodge and chevy used the same transmission.

You can also get a bellhousing adapter plate that will make the cummins bolt right to a chevy automatic.

You would be looking at a 10-15,000.00 investment.

Personally I stay away from the newer trucks because I feel as though quality has gone to hell in a big hurry over the last decade. I am a die hard GM guy, and I wont buy a GM product made after 98/00 if that tells you anything.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #25
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Just a small update, I found and ordered some emblems for the truck.
Putting these on the front fenders where the 8-396 emblems would go:

Putting these on the fender in the appropriate position:

This is the color I have decided on.

I think its going to look pretty damn sharp!
Old 03-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #26
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Updated flat bed rendering:
Old 03-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #27
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Got the front clip on!

Here is the video:
Old 03-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #28
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Those are some nice emblems. Lookin' good!