Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2012, 05:25 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
'62 Globetrotter and Tow Vehicle

Hi all - I have a (new) 1962 Globetrotter and am trying to identify an appropriate tow vehicle. My preference is not a large truck, but rather something just large enough to comfortably do the job right! I've researched the Highlander a bit and that seems to be an option, but I'd love to hear thoughts on other options. Thanks!
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
denver , Colorado
Hi Craig.

I tow my 67' GT with a 2008 Toyota Sequoia. Someone on the forums suggested it.

It has that new 5.7 liter engine that has plenty of power and I live and tow in Colorado. Plenty of room too as it has the third row seating. It's usually just me traveling in it and I always seem to fill up the entire car. You always need more room than you think!

The only down side to this vehicle is the fuel mileage when I'm asking it to do some work (towing over a Colorado pass). The engine won't sweat but it will drink a lot!

It's also my every day vehicle and it's a nice, comfortable car.

Good Luck!
star kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Hey Craig,

We towed our '62 GlobeTrotter for a couple years with a Highlander Hybrid, and always felt perfectly safe and happy with it.

For us the beauty was the balance of having a higher mileage everyday vehicle year-round, while still being able to drop the trailer onto it and have no problems heading from Chicago to California and back.

Drawbacks?
1. A little under-powered along the steepest portions of Route 1 in northern California. So yes, I did experience Tahoe envy several times - always aware of our extra cargo.

2. Due to the Hybrid's variable-speed-transmission (in other words, no set gears) you can't effectively use cruise control while towing. It just whines and revs, not able to comprehend the additional weight. A regular V6 Highlander wouldn't have this issue, with a traditional tranny.

Long story short? It worked very well for us, a B+ experience given the fact that the rest of the time we have our big, handy SUV with 27 MPG. Now that we're up to a 22' Safari -- and planning on spending a lot more time Airstreaming -- I imagine we'll be looking for a little more oomph in our next tow vehicle soon.

Photos were taken at Costanoa campground near Santa Cruz, and a KOA on the Monterey peninsula, respectively.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gt.costanoa.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	492.2 KB
ID:	149545   Click image for larger version

Name:	gt.monterey.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	484.7 KB
ID:	149546  

Old 01-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Thanks both for the feedback.

Brad - did you have any "extras" on the Highlander, or was it a straight hybrid with a hitch receiver? Curious what options I should look for. Thanks!
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Craig - should've mentioned that. We didn't want to spend the extra dough on the towing package, because you had to do the "Limited" model with sunroof, leather, all that stuff. It would've given us the receiver, beefier transmission cooler, and pre-wiring for a brake controller.

Instead we bought the plain version, took it to Andy Thompson at Can-Am RV Centre in Ontario, and made a little weekend out of it. They installed a receiver with extra bolts n' welds to the frame for added rigidity, as well as a brake controller. Towed through the southwest in July and August, and never worried about the bigger tranny cooler.