Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2014, 08:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
60 miles per gallon towing a 25' Tundra

Yes. 60 miles per gallon pulling a 25 foot Airstream connected to a 2012 5.7L Toyota Tundra Crew Max, loaded for camping, half a tank of fresh water, two Blue Heelers, Husband and Wife, Honda generator.

This was towing from the Buffalo Bill Reservoir campground, resetting the trip odometer mileage at the exit of the campground, going east to Cody, Wyoming. This is through two tunnels blasted out of solid granite, one being a half mile long. The traffic going west to Yellowstone was going no slower or faster than I. By the time I was towing through Cody and passing the Buffalo Bill Museum... 47.5 mpg... another record. Once on I-25 heading south to Casper... 10 to 11 mpg.

I doubt seriously if anyone from the majority of States in the USA and most Provinces in Canada could manage anything over 20mpg with any sized Airstream in tow.

Of course the drop in elevation from the Buffalo Bill Reservoir campground to Downtown Cody, Wyoming is about 2,500 feet. This I will check on some maps to find the true drop in elevation.

The Tundra seems to max out at 60mpg. When I saw my gasoline mileage at 60, of course I tried to slow down below 60mph but it was stuck at 60. It must be the maximum this 2012 Tundra is set up for. But... YOU can beat the Airstream record towing with a go cart OR a Ford F250 6.7L diesel... and here is where and how.

Of course, in the Boondocking- West Wyoming I gave details of this record breaking... or at least... massive fraud, but accurate fraud of using facts and holding back a bit of the details... like Wyoming is not Louisiana, flat.

Some recommendations for those of you suffering with 5 to 8 mpg towing.

Pikes Peak, Colorado at over 14,000 feet to the bottom. Wow... 800 mpg? Unfortunately NO TRAILERS ALLOWED.

Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Colorado. Probably the same as Pikes Peak... but NO TRAILERS ALLOWED. This road to the Gunnison River will smoke your brakes, so think twice about that road in the park.

But there are many roads, highways and even interstate highways where anyone can go ten miles and report your mileage on this Thread. The Buffalo Bill Reservoir campground to Cody must be 10 miles and another two or three to the museum... next time I will get this worked out, but why ruin a good thing.

Colorado offers many wonderful experiences in towing. Try getting the worst miles per gallon towing UP from south of Golden, Colorado on I-70, going west to, lets say Evergreen. Coming from the West up to the Eisenhower Tunnel... I bet that will make you sick at under 10, under 6, under?

Everyone brags about 14 to 18 mpg gallon towing a Bambi 16 footer. In Texas... Kansas... come on. No records here... yet. But Colorado, Glacier National Park down to Whitefish, Montana... maybe a... record breaker.

Of course, this is just having a bit of fun with the bragging about gas or diesel rigs. Great. But WHERE and HOW MANY MILES can you post a RECORD? We all would like to know, as I like to tell a tall one myself... but we have to be accurate. Embellish a bit, but going UP or DOWN there are records to break and places you can recommend these records to be repeated.

Please... do not do this at night. It could be too much strain on your heart.

Place: Buffalo Bill Reservoir campground exit to Cody, Wyoming
MPG: 60 miles per gallon pulling a 25 foot Airstream
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Yes. 60 miles per gallon pulling a 25 foot Airstream connected to a 2012 5.7L Toyota Tundra Crew Max, loaded for camping, half a tank of fresh water, two Blue Heelers, Husband and Wife, Honda generator.

This was towing from the Buffalo Bill Reservoir campground, resetting the trip odometer mileage at the exit of the campground, going east to Cody, Wyoming. This is through two tunnels blasted out of solid granite, one being a half mile long. The traffic going west to Yellowstone was going no slower or faster than I. By the time I was towing through Cody and passing the Buffalo Bill Museum... 47.5 mpg... another record. Once on I-25 heading south to Casper... 10 to 11 mpg.

I doubt seriously if anyone from the majority of States in the USA and most Provinces in Canada could manage anything over 20mpg with any sized Airstream in tow.

Of course the drop in elevation from the Buffalo Bill Reservoir campground to Downtown Cody, Wyoming is about 2,500 feet. This I will check on some maps to find the true drop in elevation.

The Tundra seems to max out at 60mpg. When I saw my gasoline mileage at 60, of course I tried to slow down below 60mph but it was stuck at 60. It must be the maximum this 2012 Tundra is set up for. But... YOU can beat the Airstream record towing with a go cart of Ford F250 6.7L diesel... and here is where and how.

Of course, in the Boondocking- West Wyoming I gave details of this record breaking... or at least... massive fraud, but accurate fraud of using facts and holding back a bit of the details... like Wyoming is not Louisiana, flat.

Some recommendations for those of you suffering with 5 to 8 mpg towing.

Pikes Peak, Colorado at over 14,000 feet to the bottom. Wow... 800 mpg? Unfortunately NO TRAILERS ALLOWED.

Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Colorado. Probably the same as Pikes Peak... but NO TRAILERS ALLOWED. This road to the Gunnison River will smoke your brakes, so think twice about that road in the park.

But there are many roads, highways and even interstate highways where anyone can go ten miles and report your mileage on this Thread. The Buffalo Bill Reservoir campground to Cody must be 10 miles and another two or three to the museum... next time I will get this worked out, but why ruin a good thing.

Colorado offers many wonderful experiences in towing. Try getting the worst miles per gallon towing UP from south of Golden, Colorado on I-70, going west to, lets say Evergreen. Coming from the West up to the Eisenhower Tunnel... I bet that will make you sick at under 10, under 6, under?

Everyone brags about 14 to 18 mpg gallon towing a Bambi 16 footer. In Texas... Kansas... come on. No records here... yet. But Colorado, Glacier National Park down to Whitefish, Montana... maybe a... record breaker.

Of course, this is just having a bit of fun with the bragging about gas or diesel rigs. Great. But WHERE and HOW MANY MILES can you post a RECORD? We all would like to know, as I like to tell a tall one myself... but we have to be accurate. Embellish a bit, but going UP or DOWN there are records to break and places you can recommend these records to be repeated.

Please... do not do this at night. It could be too much strain on your heart.

Place: Buffalo Bill Reservoir campground exit to Cody, Wyoming
MPG: 60 miles per gallon pulling a 25 foot Airstream
How much on a flat road?

My car shows 99 miles per gallon, but only when I take my foot off the gas pedal.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
As Jimmy Buffett says, "Some of the facts are true others I made up." All true or not your post are always entertaining.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:39 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
"Tee many Martoonis, me tinks." as my late mother used to say!

60mpg..........WHEW, who wouldn't wish!?
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
What did you average per tank?
My 08 Tundra 5.7 has the option as to what is displayed. If I chose the option of "at that moment" mpg, It will show over 60mpg coasting down hill but as soon as I touch the gas to go up hill or start from a light, it shows less than 10mpg.
I average 15 city 19 highway. 12 towing my 28ft 5500lb Argosy.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Mark Twain said it, so it must be true.

"There are lies, damned lies and Statistics."

On this trip heading west on I-80 from Cheyenne, Wyoming to Rock Springs, Wyoming, a 35mph headwind +/- maybe 7.5mpg. Going north from Rock Springs to Riverton, Wyoming with a 35mph +/- headwind maybe 8mpg. Going south from Buffalo, Wyoming (Home of Longmire banner in town) 12 to 13 mpg, headwind of less than 15mph +/- to Casper, Wyoming.

Pulling the 25 foot versus the 23 foot a loss of mpg of about 10%. No wind, flat road at elevation 12 to 15 mpg. Tail wind or favorable cross wind... 18 to 22 mpg.

If I were to figure mileage per tank and crossing any passes... or even worse is Wyoming or Colorado where your mpg can go from 18 to 9, back to 15 to 10, to 16... and when you think you might be able to beat the yellow low fuel light... the wind changes and you begin to sweat.

Well, we never get to that point, but out here in the Rockies... a half tank means you start looking. If Reserve, New Mexico is $4.25 a gallon for regular unleaded and Quemado, New Mexico is $3.39... you swallow hard, pay the $4.25 and take all of your trash bags and stuff them into the can. The last time we were in town... this gas station is still "For Sale" and still priced for the "market". The trash can was no where to be found, but we saw their dumpster and tossed our boondocking trash.

I had never seen anything over 25mpg towing before and this time even by keeping my foot off of the gas pedal, maintaining 55 to 60 mph down to town... it never changed until we were going through town, which was... flat.

28 foot Argosy... I think Pikes Peak is waiting for you...

Anyone not wanting to break the record LOW mileage. Avoid the Big Horn Mountains at all costs. Go around them, stop at the Custer Battlefield to Billings and anywhere, but the Big Horns. Even I, the noisiest Boondocker on the Forum... has camped the Big Horns of Wyoming... but for Wyoming... this is a road you have to be very careful going up and then down. But then again... Jimmy Buffett makes up his facts better than the most of us! Thank you AWChief.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
We do the same mpg all the time on downhill elevations ...then hit the flats and it evens out.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote