Old 02-06-2011, 07:37 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
A bit off topic but...

To get the four wheel off road package on this new generation and you go back to the previous generations 6-Speed tranny and transfer cases...

Hey Dan, unless you get something smaller than a 23 footer, get a real tow vehicle, other wise you will be towing your Airstream around with no passengers or luggage in the TV and due to tounge weight issues, the Airstream will be pretty empty as well or off balance as you move stuff to the back to again manage that tounge weight. It starts to get old after awhile...

Face it, Airstreams are just tounge heavy!

All this from a Cayenne and T-Rex owner who has lots of miles under the belt towing with these platforms...

**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
John

I don't think that I am overloaded towing my 24' TW. I have not been concerned enough to even go to the scales to check the weight. I will do this after I install new axles and before I go camping this spring just so I know where I stand. I would be surprised if I have a weight problem with a 1/2 ton PU and only a 66 TW. I guess the four 6 volt batteries I am installing in the rear of the TW will help my tongue weight problem some. But John, all the other 1/2 ton PU trucks out there have the same problem as the Tundra- The rear axle gvwr is the weak link. You will exceed that before anything else.

I really think that I am in good shape with the 66 TW and the Tundra. I can't ever see the need to go to a 3/4 ton truck to tow a 66 TW.

Dan

Old 02-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
I agree with a F150/1500 truck you should be fine - it's with a Touareg or Cayenne tow vehicle that you need to watch weight closely.

I could safely tow with the Touareg my 25FB Airstream - and it did an awesome job, the problem was due to weight (plenty of power and brakes). I could not safely throw anything in the Tow Vehicles or trailer other than a small bag of clothes and some minimal dishes & stuff.
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #18
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Gears

You guys are spoilt! I remember in the early 60's, hauling gravel in the Ottawa Valley with a DODGE 900, 3 axle with a gas 413cid and 5 x 4 tranny. One of the best things about that combination was that you never had trouble staying awake. Concentration was a must.
These were great work trucks in their day!
And the young guys today think their video games are tough?????
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Memory improves all sorts of things: I was never above 60k, had 500-HP in a long nose KW, and it was cruise-control Interstate all the way . . with a 15 mph tailwind. And no hills.