Old 05-28-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
2007 19' Bambi
holland , Michigan
5.3L V8 Tahoe

Hi all, I have towed our 19' Bambi for 3 years with a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder (6 cyl, 270hp). No big problems, but I have replaced u-joints and feel lucky to have had no real weather trials on the open road. The Pathfinder works, but we are now heading West and I am not as confident so far from home with it.
I am looking at a 2007 5.3L Tahoe - a few inches more wheelbase and a bit wider, but the tow capacity ratings are not all that much different. Anyone have experience towing with a 5.3L non-XL Tahoe or Yukon? I am still new enough to fight the big as possible bug. I have to drive it around daily when not towing. We also dream of a 23' in the future and would like this to be able to handle that as well, or is that a pipe dream?

dunewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:29 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

We have a 2005 25FB that weighs 7400# ready to camp. We formerly had a 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe 2WD with the 5.3 liter engine and a 3.73 rear. It did pretty well with the 25FB, but we prefer our Suburban 2500 for towing 7400#.

Based upon our Tahoe towing experience, I would think that the Tahoe could comfortably handle a 5000# 19' Bambi. I also think that it could handle a 23 footer.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
To be honest with you, I'm not so sure you need to replace the Pathfinder to tow the 19' Bambi. It has a 6000-lb tow rating for the 4500 lb loaded Bambi. "Weather trials" would affect handling, which can be addressed by proper set-up of the hitch and having good tires on the tow vehicle.

Unless you can directly attribute the U-joint replacement to towing, or the Pathfinder has been unreliable otherwise, I'm not so sure you'd be chancing reliability problems. (I'm assuming the Pathfinder has been well maintained.) Are there other reasons you don't feel confident so far from home with it? After all, buying an used Tahoe can bring a whole new set of problems.

I understand having these thoughts, having towed my T@B teardrop trailer nearly cross-country last year with my 70,000-mile Honda Odyssey. Going up over a 9500-ft mountain pass stirs up these concerns. But none of my fears came to pass.

mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1973 23' Safari
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
I'm with Tom on this one too.

We have been towing for over 10 years with V6 Nissans and have not had any towing related problems and few minor problems overall.

Friends here in town are towing a 25' with their Pathy and have no issues. The Pathfinder's have a great reliability record.

The key here is set up, appropriate connection hardware and adjustments.
Airstreams..... The best towing trailers on the planet!
Road Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
2007 19' Bambi
holland , Michigan
Thanks for the feedback. THe Pathfinder has been good. We use a Reese hitch with sway bars and it's been pretty well maintained over the 90,000 miles we've put on it. That's not all towing, but we've taken the Pathfinder w/ Bambi in tow into Canada and from Michigan to Florida via W. Virginia, Nashville / Chatanooga and the Knoxville / Asheville route (definitely two handed daytime only for me) and like I said, no big issues. It pulls OK, but I think those trips produced enough discomfort (some just physical) to consider something bigger, especially when we know that we want be on more back roads than highways heading into the Tetons and Yellowstone.
Once I started looking at different TV's things seemed to lead to juggling the wheel base, track, and power combination to the best outcome. Throw in the transmission coolers, brakes, tires and hitch issues and I was getting overwhelmed.
You folks are both savy and friendly. I appreciate your comments and look forward to future posts.
dunewalker is offline   Reply With Quote