Old 03-21-2015, 11:56 PM   #29
Rivet Master
2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
True an automatic locker is locked at the rest position and will unlock if it senses one wheel needs to travel faster or slower than the other. However not as durable as a LSD.

Listen to the end of the video for what he says about 2wd tires and 4wd.

gandttimes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:35 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member
1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
Our 99 Suburban is 2wd it now has 396,000 Miles on the odometer! We purchased it used with 99,000 it is exclusively used to haul our Airstream we travel (Part Timers) 12 months out of the year! I can only recall 3 times for a few hundred feet that we would have ever pushed the 4x4 button! All 3 times was while returning home from Ski Trips up north in January. 2wd will yield lower maintenance cost, higher fuel economy, more comfortable ride. Examine how often you will be off roading you AS, and slick roading your AS. As far as spinning rocks/ mud onto your AS you should have "Sunglasses", Rock Gaurds, & a Sweep Hitch mounted Rock Guard on your AS in either case 2wd or 4x4.

shermantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:00 AM   #31
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Many years ago I drove a 4x4 off road recovery tow truck. We considered that for most of the people we pulled out, that their 4wd got them further down roads or trails that they shouldn't have been on anyways.

A frequent call was to one of the local beaches where someone had decided to launch or recover a boat, and found out that we had tides. And that the tide was coming in.

If you need 4wd for exploring when not towing, or in winter conditions, great. I've had both, and they both have a place.

The winch we had on the front of each of the company trucks was more effective at getting out of occasional trouble than the 4wd. If you are on wet grass with one axle, the other axle is probably on wet grass as well. And the winch option allows you all the simultaneous benefits of 2wd that shermantic lists above.

jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:13 AM   #32
Rivet Master
2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
True, sometimes 4x4can just get you stuck further down the road if you are not careful !

gandttimes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:38 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Lincolnton , North Carolina
I'll never again own a 2 wheel drive truck. The 4X4 comes in handy all the time!
TarheelTrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:38 AM   #34
Rivet Master
2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
As the driver of a 4x4 with limited slip rear diff, I have discovered a few things. First, the rear will come loose in slippery conditions as both rear wheels tend to spin up in snow if too much throttle is given...... and towing in snow, this makes life exciting if the rear begins to move. As in coming in to this truck stop in Laramie, Wyoming:
AirstreamREV_2009_Int_27FB_Snow_04.2010-3 by, on Flickr

But, there have been many times, e.g., on wet grass, where the advantage of fwd allowed me to get out of a situation which could have been very difficult without the fwd.

However,I have, more than 30 years ago, found myself in exactly the situation described, me with a Toyota Land Cruiser....stuck in hub deep mud. The tow truck which tried to pull me out began moving back toward my vehicle when he began winching, until he blocked his wheels. So, if one needs fwd to get into a situation, maybe this is not the best idea. But getting out where 2wd will not do it, the fwd was worth all the costs in decreased fuel mileage, maintenance, etc. IMO only
Happy trails and Good Luck
Ms Tommie Fantine Lauer, Greensboro, NC
AIR #31871 WBCCI #4165 K4MTL
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:07 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Mr Toad, you are correct. Some people like you think things out ahead and develop a plan. Sometimes 4wd just means more spinning wheels where forethought might have been prudent. Jim
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:08 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
4x4 - no question. Stayed in a Maine State Park, reserved a site right on the water, had to go down a small hill into a level area of the campsite and when leaving had to go up and make a right turn out of the campsite onto a narrow, slightly hilly dirt road (mud when we left). Without a 4x4 we would have had to call for a tow and that would have been a very expensive tow and very difficult due to limited space. Oh, and when we did depart, we did not spin at all, in mud, towing a fully loaded 30' FC.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:32 AM   #37
Rivet Master
2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Lots of opinions and real world experiences, I'll add mine. And is the real question truck w/o trailer or truck w/trailer?

2WD Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins, 6 spd.

Yes, I had to have my truck pulled 2 times, once on wet grass, once on sand. Both times I was empty w/o trailer. Buddy hooked his 4X4 and it was over in seconds.

Now, lets add the trailer to the comments.

We don't go boon-docking and only camped on grass once. But every time I take the AS from the backyard camp to the driveway I have to pull up a grade to get from backyard. Its all sand and some grass Here's the kicker.

Its a 7% grade measured with level in the I Phone, just under 100 yards long.

Truck gets rolling and I keep it rolling, no shifting.

So I bought the truck first, I try not to get into a aw crap spot and don't have the expense of 4X4. What makes it work? Good tires and the about 1100 Lbs tongue weight to load the rear tires.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:33 AM   #38
Rivet Master
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
When we bought our first pickup, we wanted the 4wd for snow situations, and we figured we might use it occasionally while camping. In reality, it was a very good thing that we got 4wd - it turns out we need it about 90% of the time when backing our trailer into the spot at home! Our yard turns into a soft mess after only a little rain, and if I don't engage the 4wd system, we sit and spin. I'm glad we didn't buy a 2wd truck, or we would have had to replace it immediately.
1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:05 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member
2015 30' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Buy the 4WD

EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:14 AM   #40
Rivet Master
1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I've owned a number of 4WD vehicles and for me this isn't about getting into trouble further down a muddy road, it's the difference between getting stuck in a marginal situation or just being able to pull out.

When we go camping in spring or fall sites can be damp. Now, hitting the gas and spinning the wheels will got you stuck whatever you do, but sending power to four wheels will be helpful in these circumstances.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:17 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
i sort of have lost count but i do believe my F350 is PU #9 or 10. i have had ONE 2wd PU and yes, i got stuck on wet grass. but the most hair raising was backing down a boat ramp in January, chained up with studded tires, launching the boat without difficulty and pulling back up the ramp of ice. when i went to retrieve the boat, i sat and broke the rear end loose. getting the boat out of the water required some magical thinking on my part.

story #2. Tundra as the PU, new way bigger boat, slimy boat ramp at low tide. in 2wd drive, it sat and spun. shifted into 4wd and managed to get off the ramp. something about lack of low end torque and the gearing on the Tundra are not good.

so, 4wd on every truck save that one. this past week, we pulled into a unique campground on Sammamish lake. the owner led us to the spot he wanted us in with his golf cart. raining cats and dogs and had been for a week. parked the trailer, no issues. he pointed to a spot behind the trailer and told me to park the truck there. ok, i said but first i took a look. put the truck in 4wd and parked. next morning, puddles along side the truck as well as underneath, all 4 tires were floating on the wet grass surface. put her in reverse and slowly backed out without spinning a wheel.

bottom line for me, there are lots of variables involved to where we choose to camp, best to have the truck as capable as possible.
gpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:28 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member
1967 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
There one other reason, if you ever have to sell it you will have a tough time giving away a 2wd truck...

I needed 4wd to bring my airstream home as it was located up a dirt road and it had been raining the day before I picked it up. Never would have made it in a 2wd.

bobzdar is offline   Reply With Quote