Old 12-24-2009, 08:11 PM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Annie,
The 4X4 is a must if you live out west. Even if it gets really wet from rain dirt roads can become impassable in the middle of summer. I needed 4 wheel drive when I was backing into my spot at last years area 33 rally. The rear wheels where slipping on grass.

Here is the issue. With 4X2 you can end up with one wheel or no wheel drive. Depends on the rear end that is installed. My limited slip failed three times. The last time out of warrenty. I opted for an air operated rear end locker. It works great!

With 4X4 you can end up with two or three wheel drive. The front differential in most 4X4 setups does not lock up. You can get an aftermarket kit to lock it up too. The problem. You can go strait in any direction you wish.
Confused? My 4X4 F-250 extended cab, long bed, Diesel with locking rear end is nearly un-stoppable.
Get a large Gas engine V10 or better and opt for the 4X4.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Hey forgetting comes with age. Don't worry about it. I sent a friend a youtube video the other day and forgot I had sent him the same video about 6 months ago.

I was up at Dodge recently checking out the new 2010 5.7 rams and I was tempted. It would be irresponsible for me to get a new one, but I sure was very tempted. I bought my ram when gas went way up and and nobody was buying big trucks. The dealer had around 20, 2006 trucks out in the lot and he was trying to unload them because it was oct 2006. I felt the deal I got was a great one. I was always a Ford truck person and when I went to them to trade my ranger in they just blew me off. They did not want to even talk to me. I guess I looked poor. When I finally got a sales person out in the lot he wanted 23000 for a extended cab and told me that was as low as he would go.

I really like my Dodge ram and the engine has some guts to it. It handles my trailer well. I sometimes forget it is behind me. Mountains can be a challenge but I only deal with them for 30 minutes. Dodge told me not to worry about the 3.55 rear end. They say it can handle it.

Brian

Old 12-24-2009, 11:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, you sure have received a lot of mixed answers; So I will add to this. I live in the west and have been in and through [in my opinion] all of the western states and in all weather conditions. Stuck on ice twice, but was able to get moving again without any thing other than driving abilities. You already told us [in other words] that you are going to be a fair weather driver, so I see no need for four wheel drive. I would like to see the list of details on this Ford; You can't make an F-250 out of a F-150. There is a rare version of a F-150 that has a 7 lug nut wheel; I would never consider this truck because no-one, not even a Ford dealer, is going to have parts for this. I have only seen one of these.

California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, Idaho, Montana, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:27 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

i have moved north to VIRGINIA CITY , Nevada
Thanks everyone for your comments... Robert i sent you a private note.
i am certainly learning alot here and all of your answers most welcome.
thanks for giving me alot of angles to think about.
and i am considering gently used trucks and airstreams. but VERY gently used.
in the bigger ones i have seen lots of well cared for units.
nothing yet in the smaller ones.
and at this point.... i am thinking SMALLER.
its funny how after a while.... after you get alot information.... things start to gel about what you really need.

thanks again for all your comments. hope everyone has a safe holiday.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
No body has mentioned resale or trade in value on a 4X2 vs. a 4x4. If you want a 2WD truck in SW Colorado, you have to special order it. I suspect that that was the case with the F-150. Call every dealer in the Carson City, Virginia City, Minden, etc. and ask what the ratio of 4x4's they sell in relation to the 4X2's.

Over the long haul (pun intended) a 4x4 may be a better buy.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I've been told 2wd will squeeze out a little more mileage, but don't know for sure.
Anybody have an answer?
Old 12-25-2009, 09:23 AM   #21
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Humm. There are situations in which a 4wd would be helpful, to be sure. Those situations do not include heavy snow and ice, for which 4wd is no substitute for heavy-duty chains, as we've discovered many times up here. That said, there are other, more rare situations in which 4wd would do the trick. The rarity of those situations do not warrant spending the extra bucks for our lifestyle and our particular location.

Lynn
Old 12-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
4x4 or 4x2

I traded in my older Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 for a new Chevy Silverado 1500 1/2 ton 4x4. It as a towing package and the 5.2 v8. In 2 wheel drive I get 21 mpg on the highway (without a trailer). Pulling my 1965 22' Safari is so easy it's like you don't even know it is back there (millage drops to around 14 mpg). I also pull my 24' hunting trailer (1972 Holiday Rambler), which goes 4500 lbs, with no problem (millage drops to around 11). I often use 4 wheel drive when parking either trailer especially on grass. I like to put the truck in 4 wheel low range which really makes it easy to jockey the trailers around. Remember that most Vintage Airstreams where pulled by cars. They had big v8s in those days but none had 4 wheel drive.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:01 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
4x4

We have a 2007 Dodge Mega cab 4x4 diesel 2500 series. We are looking to trade for a 4x2 because we are tired of climbing in an out of the 4x4. We saw a truck equiped the same as ours except for the 4x4 and it set a lot lower in the front. It would be a lot easier to enter and exit.
Love the truck, the towing is awesome, the mileage is decent.
Just tired of the height.
Hickory
Old 12-25-2009, 11:15 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
It appears that a great deal of towers with 4X2's have either vintage (lighter trailers) or smaller trailers, i.e. 23' and below.

In the 25' and up class of modern trailer, it would appear that the difference in length and weight (7300+ compared to ~4500#) makes a difference and seems to favor the 4X4 over the 4X2.

In addition, for a tower traveling solo, getting stuck is definitely a lesser bargain than getting stuck partnered, therefore lending more decision weight to the 4X4 it would seem.

Also, when considering traveling out West, through Canada and/or through the Eastern mountains, the 4X4 seems to offer the less worry, stress or embarassment (when stuck.) It's even more embarrassing to get stuck in your own driveway, as exampled previously.

Lastly, it seems the amount of movement is a consideration too, i.e., moving periodically and staying multiple weeks or months at a time compared to moving about and traveling to many different places and settings.

I could be off base in some or all of the above but this is my thinking as I too am getting ready to pull the trigger on truck (TV) which will most likely be a 4X4. However, I must admit that those 4X2 savings or additional option possibilities are very attractive and teasingly menacing.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:20 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
One of the things I keep reading about is that the larger trucks, i.e., 3/4 ton and diesels, tear up your A/S.

Is this true and, if so, why is it? Is it due to the heavier vehicle and the stiffer springs when hitting bumps etc.?
Old 12-25-2009, 01:01 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
AnnieD,
We are new to Trailering and purchased a '78 Argosy (27') but needed a tow vehicle. Did some checking and looked at GSA (US Gov) auctions. My wife and I, too, live on the W Coast (Oly, WA) so we went to the Kent GSA auction and found an '05 Durango 4x4 with 68k on it and in excellent condition (US Gov takes very good care of their vehicles). We printed off KBB what a trade in value would be and got to the Durango at a bid just over the trade in value. The Durango pulls the Argosy very well and with the 4.7L engine no lugging at all because the Durango is rated at 8700 lbs tow capacity. So just a thought. jjairstream@gmail.com
Old 12-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Having owned, maintained, and repaired many 2WD and 4WD trucks, my opinion is you do not need and probably don't want a 4WD. I have one and always will based on my specific needs and uses. Your situation as described does not call for 4WD. As one post noted, 4WD comes in handy if your pulling your AS out of a slick or uphill campsite, but if you know that in advance, you can avoid those kinds of conditions. In most 4WD trucks, comes alot more weight, rolling resistance and aggressive tire treads that all effect fuel mileage. Obviously, more things to maintain and repair. It sounds like your needs are simple and probably to keep it that way. AS others have posted, towing capacity is the key. To me, the upsized F150 is probably the better deal. Hal
Old 12-25-2009, 05:53 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I've been told 2wd will squeeze out a little more mileage, but don't know for sure.
Hi, Lumatic. To answer this question it would be easier for you to view window stickers on new vehicles where the only difference is the 4X2 versus the 4X4 and you will see that a 4X4 is rated slightly lower on fuel mileage.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote